Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864954 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3240 on: June 02, 2013, 10:52:45 am »

Interesting that he suddenly wants to be involved.
I'm not even sure if he does, he mostly just wants to keep the option open. I've extended him dev access if he wants it to the planning forum, but hasn't taken me up on the offer. If he wants to get involved though, I at least would appreciate having his input for consideration.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3241 on: June 02, 2013, 09:59:26 pm »

Now for something else. Just uploaded another CataDDA video with whatever code was on git earlier and it was a good run. I accidentally went over my usual half hour video and managed a full hour of good time. Also with the change where scavenging bushes giving survival skill even if you failed, you should make it so that failures have a better chance of making the bush go away then success or at least make it a skill level based thing. I was able to just stand at the same bush and raise my survival up to the first level easily and probably could have kept going. Because I wasn't moving there wasn't any danger to it where as if I had to keep going from one bush to another it would have made me less likely to game the system in such a way and while making it more of a danger if I do.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: June 02, 2013, 10:03:54 pm »

I think a maximum limit to 3 per bush or make the bush vanish after 3 attempts or even a 10% chance of a boost to survival if unsuccessful ( could simulate u learning something by failure but not learning as fast as a successful attempt_

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3243 on: June 03, 2013, 01:51:24 pm »

I was checking bushes, and the disappeared after 2 or 3 tries. Maybe you just got lucky?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: June 03, 2013, 01:58:46 pm »

Sorry I'm a little behind but darkling your running a kickstarter for DDA ? What brought this on ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: June 03, 2013, 02:02:54 pm »

Sorry I'm a little behind but darkling your running a kickstarter for DDA ? What brought this on ?

A coder needs food. Food costs money. Maybe there's a scosh more to it than that.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: June 03, 2013, 02:04:36 pm »

A coder needs food. Food costs money. Maybe there's a scosh more to it than that.

Yeah I just went back a page :P well I for one would welcome full time development and would gladly throw my monies.. I Wonder what the rewards will be.

Also can't help but think how much money DF would raise if Toady did a kickstarter.....

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: June 03, 2013, 02:12:16 pm »

Yeah I just went back a page :P well I for one would welcome full time development and would gladly throw my monies.. I Wonder what the rewards will be.

Also can't help but think how much money DF would raise if Toady did a kickstarter.....

We donate to Toady directly, without hitches or barriers. Why would kickstarter be needed? Advertising?

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: June 03, 2013, 02:16:42 pm »

We donate to Toady directly, without hitches or barriers. Why would kickstarter be needed? Advertising?

Oh yeah I know that, but maybe advertising DF would be a really good idea that was mostly what I was thinking to get more eyes on Dwarf fortress.

Also sorry for the derail :P

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: June 03, 2013, 02:19:47 pm »

There's already tonnes of publicity about DF.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: June 03, 2013, 02:31:02 pm »

Oh yeah I know that, but maybe advertising DF would be a really good idea that was mostly what I was thinking to get more eyes on Dwarf fortress.

Also sorry for the derail :P

Kickstarter would not be a good fit for DF. People that back KSs tend to ask for a lot of accountability, which does not mesh well with how Toady likes to run the show (DF is his baby, we're just along for the ride). Given that the mere suggestion that Toady focus more on bugfixes and code clean-up results in flamewars on the DF forums, I can only imagine what would happen when thousands of KS backers invade the forums and start screaming about bugs and wait times between releases (and when rebuffed, taking their beef to the media, KS, PayPal, and potentially launching DDoS attacks).

There's a very high chance that a DF Kickstarter would result in some seriously negative press and a net depreciation of the perception of DF.

Cataclysm (being open source, with a track record of bugfixes, and having a more consistent release schedule) seems like it would be a great candidate for a Kickstarter.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: June 03, 2013, 02:32:09 pm »

Cata is good because it needs advertising. Cata has not made it into a museum, the New York Times, or any online publications.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: June 03, 2013, 02:32:31 pm »

I could only consider Toady starting a kickstarter to found a full-fledged game company, using the money to hire programmers and build an actual team to accelerate development.

I also can't see him doing that, though. Not his style.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: June 03, 2013, 02:34:17 pm »

It would be cool if toady did make it into a full company... But anyway was just a though haha but yeah when you mention the negatives it really does not seem with it.

Glyph what sort of rewards are you thinking of for DDA ?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: June 03, 2013, 02:43:36 pm »

We've got a few broad classes. Initially, we'll have four groups:

$1 rewards - I'll put together a crappy video, in a "scavenged" costume voted for by backers, and read off the list of $1 backer names while 'fighting' off 'zombies'.
Then there are:
In-game rewards - We'll introduce names into the random name generator, let you design an NPC with equipment and special we'll stick into the game, add a house floorplan based on your actual home, that sort of thing.
Digital Art Rewards - I've already got an artist working on commission work for the kickstarter. Basically, this will allow you access to high resolution art and digital wallpapers, and will be fairly limited to start with.
Extreme Supporter Rewards - A custom assembled completely unique Cataclysm themed "Survival Kit" (danger: do not rely on Survival Kit fo survival) for our most generous backers. There will only be a very limited number of these, and I'm hoping to price them high enough I don't have to make any. ;)

Once we've met our goals, we'll add more reward tiers (and expand existing reward tiers) based on stretch goals. It's important that we only offer awards we can afford, after all, and our initial goal is quite low.

But eventually we'll be hoping to introduce a Physical Art tier to get Cataclysm posters, and if you back that tier you'll get an a poster for each of 3 stretch goals hit, in a variety of styles. We'll also expand the Digital Reward tier.

We've got more planned than that, and I'm leaving out most of the details (and all of that is subject to change in the next several weeks), but that's a rough idea of what we're aiming for.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 1086