Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864689 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #3030 on: May 26, 2013, 02:05:35 am »

Just going to point out not everyone can read code.
Reading code is actually remarkably easy (though in this particular case it might be a little complicated since the important code is spread out over several different files).
Not as easy in this case because of how Whales coded it. x3
Getting CodeBlocks is a great help in this case. You can right click a function name and click "go to definition" or "implementation" to jump to the relevant code.

Interesting. So that's why all the cool kids use != instead of =/= to abbreviate 'does not equal'?
Yep.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: May 26, 2013, 04:56:52 am »

Not as easy in this case because of how Whales coded it. x3
Getting CodeBlocks is a great help in this case. You can right click a function name and click "go to definition" or "implementation" to jump to the relevant code.
While that can certainly apply (I've struggled many an hour to understand some of his more obtuse pieces of code) this particular problem looks fairly straightforwards Basically if you aren't straining your engine, then every turn that the car "thrusts" (accelerates or a portion of the turns you maintain speed based on your mass and a few other factors) it burns an amount of fuel equal to whatever they state as the safe fuel consumption when you examine the car.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: May 26, 2013, 05:14:49 am »

New ingame deconstruction item needed cigarettes to tobacco - and vise versa and have tobacco ( perhaps trees, hemp or cotton) can provide papers combine with tobacco to make cigarettes

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: May 26, 2013, 05:54:18 am »

I just reinstalled it after a nearly one year long hiatus, and I have to say, I like very much the direction in which TDW has taken Cataclysm :)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3034 on: May 26, 2013, 05:58:44 am »

New ingame deconstruction item needed cigarettes to tobacco - and vise versa and have tobacco ( perhaps trees, hemp or cotton) can provide papers combine with tobacco to make cigarettes
Is this a proposal or a feature? o_O

I'm pretty sure having tobacco in a temperate zone makes an amount of sense that converges on 0.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3035 on: May 26, 2013, 06:07:42 am »

Um, where do you think tobacco grows because temperate basically describes where a lot of it is grown. Or my sleep addled brain is not understanding what you said...
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3036 on: May 26, 2013, 06:52:31 am »

Ooh, research is interesting.

Tobacco is primarily a tropical plant, but it is able to tolerate sub-tropical and temperate areas. It has an ideal growing temperature of between 27 and 32 degrees. But on the other hand, it doesn't tolerate bad soil well, such as waterlogged or basic soils. Once the tobacco cultivators died, though, I doubt that any wild tobacco in New England will be around, simply because New England is not its natural habitat and it's also not an invasive species that is able to adapt very well. Also some tobacco has specific germination conditions.

I mistook ollobrains because I did know that most plantations are in the tropics o.O

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: May 26, 2013, 07:03:16 am »

Tobacco is primarily a tropical plant, but it is able to tolerate sub-tropical and temperate areas. It has an ideal growing temperature of between 27 and 32 degrees. But on the other hand, it doesn't tolerate bad soil well, such as waterlogged or basic soils. Once the tobacco cultivators died, though, I doubt that any wild tobacco in New England will be around, simply because New England is not its natural habitat and it's also not an invasive species that is able to adapt very well. Also some tobacco has specific germination conditions.

I mistook ollobrains because I did know that most plantations are in the tropics o.O

This brings us to something else. Namely. greenhouses.

I'm fairly sure New England would have at least one greenhouse for the entire state, and you could put tobacco in at least one of said greenhouses.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: May 26, 2013, 10:29:52 am »

We need more active farming and less rotting before greenhouses are necessary.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: May 26, 2013, 10:50:52 am »

This brings us to something else. Namely. greenhouses.

I'm fairly sure New England would have at least one greenhouse for the entire state, and you could put tobacco in at least one of said greenhouses.
I live in atlantic canada, and we have a half dozen native plant species that make great tobacco substitutes ((and some that make less good ones but some that you can still smoke for a bit of a nicotine like buzz, namely gutweed ((it makes you a bit nasous but otherwise isn't nearly as harmful as tobacco and gives a rather nice energy boost))))  There's also indian tobacco, and a couple others that you can smoke for a smoke fix, or just cause you want to.
Nom nom nom

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: May 26, 2013, 11:02:47 am »

Having seeds available in hardware stores and a rather rare botanical garden building with all kinds of rare plants from survival people would be nice. Not only tobacco, but poppies, coca, magic mushrooms, exotic fruits, peyotl...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3041 on: May 26, 2013, 11:03:52 am »

Having some kind of farming or any way to keep food from rotting would be nice.

I mean what use is a recipe to make batteries from lemons if all of the lemons are rotted by day 4-5?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: May 26, 2013, 11:19:35 am »

Can't you use rotten lemons? You can cook rotten meat after all.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3043 on: May 26, 2013, 11:23:31 am »

Can't you use rotten lemons? You can cook rotten meat after all.
I... don't know. I never tried using a rotten one. heh

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: May 26, 2013, 11:34:09 am »

This discussion about farming tobacco and other plants makes me want to be able to grow/ sell weed to other survivors out of someone's basement. The only issue being money is useless.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 1086