Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864329 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2895 on: May 20, 2013, 04:21:31 pm »

An example of real vs virtual from the platforming genre is the difference between a level that is hard because it takes good reflexes and one where its hard because of blind leaps of faith where you basically have to memorize the level to actually do it. In the first one you could techincally if your good enough do it on the first try while in the second unless you guess really lucky you are going to be doing it again both increasing play time and perceived difficulty though in a manner thats not actually fair. Its like how some games have scripted battles where you have to lose, does that really count as a loss because technically it was but it too was artificial. I don't see how this applies here but then again I know the game well enough so its like someone that memorized a jumping puzzle saying its not hard all. If DrPoo would elaborate it would be nice.
Artificial Difficulty: You are presented with an array of unlabeled buttons. One of them opens the door to freedom. The other 99 kill you. Your victory is reliant on random chance, and trying all 100 buttons.

Real Difficulty: You are presented with the same array of buttons but now labeled in a cryptic manner. By assembling clues from the complex around you, you can piece together the code that the buttons are labeled in. Your victory is reliant on patience and skill in deciphering the code.
Thanks for the explication guys, it's a concept I'm familiar with (if not necessarily the real/virtual labeling). I think Cata does a good job with genuine difficulty: there are challenges (needing to meet needs, overcoming enemies) which you can overcome if you're sensible- peeking around corners, avoiding population centres, thinking tactically etc. Where's the artificial difficulty? Murder-wolves and bears-out-of-nowhere?

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: May 20, 2013, 04:34:40 pm »

Burning eyes fucking you over from the edge of sight and beyond the range of rifles maybe?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: May 20, 2013, 04:57:39 pm »

Are the effects of a burning eye permanent though?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: May 20, 2013, 05:48:44 pm »

Death generally is, yes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: May 20, 2013, 07:00:31 pm »

Are they that bad? I never had any problems with them. But then, I always had some royal jelly laying around.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: May 20, 2013, 08:51:42 pm »

What do the eyes do exactly? I've seen them shoot their eye-lazers but it just seems to rubble walls, never causing any damage to the survivor.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: May 20, 2013, 09:19:46 pm »

tele sickness.
nastiest thing in the game. die to your mother time.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: May 21, 2013, 12:24:15 am »

Well as it is now you are either on your ass or the game decided to roflspawn crates and soldier corpses like there is no tomorrow and you could take on a hulk one on one.

The addition of having cars everywhere dosent help the game in any direction of rrsl and definite diffoculty. Actually cars turned the game into Hello Kitty Adventures the game.

It used to be hard to loot a town. Now there is no point being careful.

The revival of zomgs indeed does create REAL difficulty now.
You need to somehow dispose of all those corpses.

What do you do? Haul em all in a truck and take them out to some huge fire you made? Spend days butchering hundreds of bodies?

Hehehe thanks for making me play again DW and fellas.

Also flaming eyes = secret suprise fun. I can say you are fucked. But figure it out on your own.

BTW found an artifact for once! Im going to be careful around it though, who KNOWS how radioactive that shit is?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: May 21, 2013, 01:12:45 am »

Between wrecks and reviving zombies, the old method of liberating a town by doing laps in a flatbed is much trickier. Vehicle construction was always limited by your battery supply anyways, you could always safely find vehicles on farms or sewage plants, engines and parts on the roads and military wreckage for armor plating and whatnot is everywhere.

Anyways looting towns is overrated. It's better to just wander around the fields and roads looking for bodies/traps/ military wrecks to pick over.

Not sure what to do with reviving zombies. They are not very flammable and it's tedious to butcher a mountain of them. Maybe this is where high-powered firearms and explosives will come in handy, if you can insta-gib them with a .308 or collect a neat pile of zombie corpses you can sanitize with explosives. Maybe now I'll have something productive to do with all these damnned LAWs littered about the countryside.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2904 on: May 21, 2013, 01:21:24 am »

As for car repair and stuff is the only way to fool with that stuff a welder? Cause I have yet to find one in a legit game though some of the new places seem to have upped my chances. Are they in some specific kind of store?
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: May 21, 2013, 01:54:30 am »

Farms, garages and public works in order of least to most prevalent. The latter will almost always have every basic tool you will generally need. Farms are kind of a crapshoot, but welders are not uncommon and I've even found jackhammers, wood axes and solar kits, even a couple of grenades in the barns before and never anywhere else.

The jackhammer is amazing fun btw.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: May 21, 2013, 01:58:17 am »

Corpses are very much flammable if you get a good fire going.
Just build a giant grave pyre.

Song for burning zomgs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwTh5u3GwtY
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: May 21, 2013, 04:57:21 am »

how can I know what's new build included in the night build version?

Is easy to translate the game?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: May 21, 2013, 05:00:07 am »

Integrated Toolset + Metabolic Interchange/Biomass Burner works great for crafting. Wolf meat is way more common than batteries. (And the integrated toolset let you cook it too).

We need a nuclear-powered welder craftable at high elec/mechanics though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: May 21, 2013, 05:04:13 am »

how can I know what's new build included in the night build version?

Is easy to translate the game?
The nightly build updates at approximately 5am UTC+1 or +2 (depending on daylight savings). Combine that with this and you can figure out whats in the game and what isn't.

As for translation, right now our version doesn't translate that well in many places. We're currently getting in contact with a Chinese guy who has apparently already translated it into his language, and hopefully we'll be able to implement his character support sometime which will allow for much easier translations.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 1086