Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864218 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2805 on: May 18, 2013, 05:09:54 pm »

what sort of computer?

I've got a quad-core 4.2 GHz, 32 GB of RAM, with an SSD drive and I also get those weird freezes on the Windows version. If it's the same Scriver's getting, it happens when fast forwarding during book reading and stuff. I haven't been writing down when it happens, so there could be more than that. I seem to remember it happening during training with NPCs. It acts like it's going to freeze, but after pressing a few buttons it snaps out of it and acts like nothing happens.

That said, I'm also getting the weird lags during book reading, and I can't stop studying once I've started. It's not a performance issue.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2806 on: May 18, 2013, 05:16:03 pm »

Question: why should I go for steel-toed boots vs normal old boots? I've never seen anything attack my feet, ever.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: May 18, 2013, 05:41:32 pm »

I think it SAYS it hits your leg and you take leg damage if they go for the feet, but it checks your foot protection. Same for gloves except it hits your arm HP. since you don't have hand and foot HP bars. But I could be wrong.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2808 on: May 18, 2013, 05:57:42 pm »

Haven't seen the articles of clothing take damage either-  neither gloves nor boots. Only arms, legs, body, head + mouth/eyes.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: May 18, 2013, 06:01:20 pm »

Spitter acid (and lava probably) deals footwear damage.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: May 18, 2013, 06:06:25 pm »

*snippety snip*
That said, I'm also getting the weird lags during book reading, and I can't stop studying once I've started. It's not a performance issue.
me too, although I've never really read before, so I assumed it was intentional.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: May 18, 2013, 06:13:45 pm »

what sort of computer?

I've got a quad-core 4.2 GHz, 32 GB of RAM, with an SSD drive and I also get those weird freezes on the Windows version. If it's the same Scriver's getting, it happens when fast forwarding during book reading and stuff. I haven't been writing down when it happens, so there could be more than that. I seem to remember it happening during training with NPCs. It acts like it's going to freeze, but after pressing a few buttons it snaps out of it and acts like nothing happens.

I had a problem with my SSD drive that was causing weird lag/blue screen i had to update the firmware. Do some research with your SDD model and see if its widespread. Mine is a OCZ vertex 3, 120gig. That damn SSD made me hit my head on walls... Untill i updated the firmware. Im not saying its why its happening only that it COULD be that, as for other reason it could do that i have no frigging clue.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2812 on: May 18, 2013, 10:07:56 pm »

This is the only game I've had problems with, but even then it's not that bad.

I'll still look into the firmware update. Thanks.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: May 18, 2013, 10:13:31 pm »

This is the only game I've had problems with, but even then it's not that bad.

I'll still look into the firmware update. Thanks.
About firmware, if it only with the game dont bother, with firmware its better to not fix what aint broken. One mistep and your SSD is toasted. But if you have mutliple small slowdown or misbehavior here and there, then it could be good to check. SSD are bitches sometime...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: May 18, 2013, 10:15:14 pm »

The reading/sleeping lag in the Windows version is currently being looked into, and hopefully it won't be too long until a total fix goes in (a small fix that helped somewhat went in earlier today, but we are still working on an actual one for that problem).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2815 on: May 18, 2013, 10:52:09 pm »

Okay how would one make an animal drop an item. I tried figuring out myself and from what I can see it should be working but for the life of me I can't get the crows to drop feathers. I have an item "feathers" which I can spawn in just fine
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and I make a type for it and then set that to the crow
and I stuck the mi_crow into mapitems.h but no matter how many crows I kill they don't drop any feathers. The feathers works and I can even use them in the recipe I made that uses them but dang it all if crows just don't want to drop the dang things. They also for some reason seem not to be spawning anymore so I assume I really messed something up though I can still spawn them. The stuff mentioned and in the spoilers is the only things I have changed plus the following item and recipe and I just pulled down the latest.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: May 18, 2013, 11:13:08 pm »

Does the map persist after death? I just died and restarted, to find that I spawned in a shelter that was either the same/ really close to the previous spawn. I just want to know if things like items I took or windows I smashed previously are gone/ broken.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2817 on: May 18, 2013, 11:14:44 pm »

Yes the world is fully persistent though you can make a new world with the reset option on the main menu though this deletes your current world so if you want to save it you will need to move it somewhere else or something. It can help and hurt you, the zombies you kill are gone but the food you take is gone as well and thats just the basics.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: May 18, 2013, 11:15:36 pm »

It does, or at least did in the previous version.  I died, mourned because that was the first time I managed to set up a safehouse, and then respawned in that same safehouse.  Next time I died it took everything out thou, through the map was different
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2819 on: May 18, 2013, 11:21:26 pm »

Unless you specifically delete the world its the same one. It just spawned you in a different area. The note function on the map actually persists though deaths so you can mark things you want future characters to know.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 1086