Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864079 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2760 on: May 17, 2013, 02:13:59 am »

What's the point of glowsticks if they don't help you see any further? I mean, they should probably give you at least one more sight range then absolutely nothing at all. Unless we're talking about the really cheap novelty glowsticks they sell at events and stuff that only look pretty and don't give of any light at all really. Maybe I could read by them? Don't really help me much in this Lab though...
Glowsticks will allow you to read/sew in total darkness (like underground/nighttime) with a 1.5x modifier to the time it takes (Normal Night Vision will take this back down to 1x) or at a regular speed in normal darkness (such as inside a building during the day but not in the light). IIRC they also will create a 3x3 square of light if you drop them on the ground, and they might light you up so that enemies can see you in the darkness now that vision has been expanded to allow the sight of lit things farther away at night.

Personally for all of my lighting needs I prefer to use a light strip. Just disassemble a few flashlights and you can make one which will last for something like 80 days right now (which I believe is actually a bug, they are only supposed to last for like 5), and will allow you to read/sew in the dark without any penalties.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: May 17, 2013, 02:43:28 am »

Do lightstrip works? I remember not being able to read by them in 0.4.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2762 on: May 17, 2013, 03:08:40 am »

I don't think they do in the game. They explode just fine if you're stupid enough ti shoot the tile next to you. :S Range doesn't really matter.

Well I just blew my test subject up so I guess you're right. I'm not sure what's going on then. Maybe targeting a creature with the grenade and missing causes the grenade to fail to explode? I shot at a wall and 'missed' and nothing happened, but targeted a floor tile and it exploded.
No, I tested with 12 skill, 14 perc and 14 dex. xD Overkill. I hit the zombie for 4~20 damage, and it went plink but didn't really explode.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: May 17, 2013, 03:46:48 am »

Do lightstrip works? I remember not being able to read by them in 0.4.
Yeah they do. I wrote the code for the reading/sewing check in .5 myself, though somebody else had already fixed that particular bug by the time I got around to writing my bit. ;)
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2764 on: May 17, 2013, 03:47:24 am »

Mine was a quick hack, not a real fix :P
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: May 17, 2013, 04:59:30 am »

*fires law at turret* You barely miss! *no explosion* " must have flown clear past off the other end of the screen" *fires second law* You hit the turret for 4 damage! *Waits. No explosion.* "Huh... a.. dud? Does the game even HAVE duds?" *fires THIRD law, but at the ground in front the turrets. Explosion, turrets gone.* 

Whelp. Took two more of my laws then it should have. But got the job done. Barely had enough ordinance for the other turrets. Better than hoarding and never using them I suppose though.
I realized later that you meant LAW, but my head kept imagining Isaac Asimov throwing paperwork pertaining to the Laws of Robotics at a turret so that it'll realize it cannot shoot him.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: May 17, 2013, 09:09:39 am »

Idea for a bionic: Geiger counter. Idea for a recipe: Use steel, a hammer, and a fire to make steel bolts. Those things are so much better, it is not even funny.
Also, you now have to hit w, then the item key to wield a item. Going to that item and hitting w is no longer enough.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: May 17, 2013, 11:35:50 am »

Dude, I'm pretty sure a campfire is slightly insufficient for forging steel.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: May 17, 2013, 12:10:55 pm »

two idea: child NPC and NPC driving cars....(and steal cars....)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:13:17 pm by teoleo »

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: May 17, 2013, 12:13:56 pm »

how i can use/take the flower????

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: May 17, 2013, 01:00:21 pm »

Walk up to it and e(x)amine it I believe.
Nom nom nom

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: May 17, 2013, 01:18:38 pm »

I think it's reasonable for metal arrowheads/ bolts to be made. No bolt is going to be made entirely out of steel that needs to be forged, it just needs an arrowhead made of metal. A hacksaw and hammer and scrap metal x 4 or a pipe, 2x4. And you get 5- 10 bolts from it. Think of it like a section of pipe at the end , crimped to hold it into place and cut with a pointy bit at one end.

Maybe not as good as actual commerical bolts, maybe have even worse accuracy then wood bolts to balance it out and reflect that it's a bit crudely made and off balance.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: May 17, 2013, 01:32:54 pm »

Walk up to it and e(x)amine it I believe.

Bright green bushes are worth examining.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: May 17, 2013, 02:43:57 pm »

two idea: child NPC and NPC driving cars....(and steal cars....)
cars that drive NPCs? I'm up for that.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: May 17, 2013, 04:14:48 pm »

I think it's reasonable for metal arrowheads/ bolts to be made. No bolt is going to be made entirely out of steel that needs to be forged, it just needs an arrowhead made of metal. A hacksaw and hammer and scrap metal x 4 or a pipe, 2x4. And you get 5- 10 bolts from it. Think of it like a section of pipe at the end , crimped to hold it into place and cut with a pointy bit at one end.

Maybe not as good as actual commerical bolts, maybe have even worse accuracy then wood bolts to balance it out and reflect that it's a bit crudely made and off balance.
I'd probably have the recipe require wooden crossbow bolts, so it goes something like wooden bolt -> steel bolt (homemade).

And yeah, right now there is a quite a bit of a problem with firing anything that explodes where it won't explode if you aim at a creature or if you "miss".
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 1086