Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863901 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2655 on: May 12, 2013, 10:20:31 am »

This is a red mushroom with white spots.  Your survival skill indicates that this will make you hallucinate that you are 10 feet tall being attacked by walking mushrooms, man sized snapping turtles, and giant beetles.    Enjoyability 50.

Admit it, you know that joke had to be done.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: May 12, 2013, 10:23:51 am »

Well you do get enjoyability from doing drugs, so I don't see why we SHOULDN'T get a morale bonus from tripping balls. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: May 12, 2013, 10:31:50 am »

Don't even start that discussion. We had a flamewar sometime back in the thread about bars and such. We don't need another one.

Then again, a little bit of indication would help, at least a tiny representation like the ear-meter in DayZ.
I personally had the vision of Mark of the Ninja's noise-disc things. Those work pretty darn well, although doing it in ASCII without horribly blocking sections of the screen would be a bit of a challenge.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: May 12, 2013, 11:18:19 am »

Not really digging the way vehicles move gradually, now going 100 mph feels like some real time dilation is happening, because it feels slower then walking, just everything else is moving in slow motion. Felt too slow before but now its kinda ridiculous.

Loving all the new structures, finding a public works with a truck early on is a real windfall

Yeah but that's how the movement system works in most roguelikes. Also it feels slower due to taking more time for processing, get a better computer and it will feel faster!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: May 12, 2013, 11:42:09 am »

Well you do get enjoyability from doing drugs, so I don't see why we SHOULDN'T get a morale bonus from tripping balls.

I think you missed it :P

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: May 12, 2013, 12:03:06 pm »

I also think that there should be on the roads can find complete vehicles, maybe two or three who have made an accident, fire, or perhaps with some remote possibilitaà to find one healthy can work

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: May 12, 2013, 12:11:48 pm »

I also think that there should be on the roads can find complete vehicles, maybe two or three who have made an accident, fire, or perhaps with some remote possibilitaà to find one healthy can work
Yeah, also, I ran into a rat king, and it crashed my game. Is that supposed to happen?

Dirk-Kun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: May 12, 2013, 12:29:50 pm »

Broken down vehicles were added today.  Some are out of gas, some are missing their wheels, some have broken engines.  You can't really drive in town anymore since the streets are littered with those wrecks.  They are a bit rarer outside of town.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: May 12, 2013, 12:38:09 pm »

awesome now I don't need to drive like 100 km's to the nearest mega store for thier shelves to make my tanks!  Oh also is there any possibility we could ever get some type of power generator buildable item, or a solar panel structure that spits out batteries for say scrap metal or something.  I end up finding that I spend 80% of my time finding batteries for my welder as opposed to say... food or fighting undead.
Nom nom nom

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: May 12, 2013, 01:00:46 pm »

In my opinion it's the scavenging for everyday, now exceedingly difficult to acquire, items that makes the game interesting. Yeah, I enjoy the whole thing immensely (except making vehicles, no idea how to install and rearrange shits so I always travel on foot and make a base somewhere), but it's that feeling of "Will I be able to survive the night without x?" Where x=item we find very commonly in our pre-apoc lives.

However, being able to scavenge from, say, busted solar panels and building some out of collected parts sounds mighty nifty. Give solar panels a certain chance (like 10-25%) of dropping each individual item needed to create the solar panel itself. You could get lucky and find all you need, or have to dismantle a few dozen before finding that one piece you need.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: May 12, 2013, 01:27:57 pm »

awesome now I don't need to drive like 100 km's to the nearest mega store for thier shelves to make my tanks!  Oh also is there any possibility we could ever get some type of power generator buildable item, or a solar panel structure that spits out batteries for say scrap metal or something.  I end up finding that I spend 80% of my time finding batteries for my welder as opposed to say... food or fighting undead.
Ammonia and tin cans aren't hard to find.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dirk-Kun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: May 12, 2013, 01:30:25 pm »

You know you can already make batteries with electronics+mechanics, right?  Ammonia is usually pretty common, especially in labs.  Integrated tools are also a nice way to reduce battery usage if you have a non-battery power cbm like metabolic interchange.

Power generators will most likely be added by someone at some point, and possibly rechargeable batteries too.  You just need a coder who is interested in doing it.  :P

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: May 12, 2013, 01:46:58 pm »

Broken down vehicles were added today.  Some are out of gas, some are missing their wheels, some have broken engines.  You can't really drive in town anymore since the streets are littered with those wrecks.  They are a bit rarer outside of town.

wow

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: May 12, 2013, 02:30:53 pm »

Anybody else noticing that welders are not using up batteries in this latest build? Game running slower then usual? Buildings built in the middle of the damn road?

So basically I had welded a bunch of steel plates I stripped off a car (with my free-energy powered welder) and was pretty glad I did because with my complacent driving I plowed half-way through a damn hospital built in the middle of the road before I recovered from the skid. I kinda like when roads run through large structures and split them into two, but not the other way around!

Btw, what's the best methodology for installing turrets? Will they shoot the vehicle or the driver if they happen to be in the way of their target? Does the M249 turret always shoot on burst?

(edit: I think the game is getting so slow because my map.txt has grown to be around 40mb. Probably keep my wanderlust to a minimum next game...)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 03:33:52 pm by DWC »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: May 12, 2013, 02:32:23 pm »

This is a fantasy post epoc thing so don't forget to add the mutative and such. If you don't want a specific ID system you could do a system based on both the survival skill and the cooking skill. The really deadly ones could be IDed first so people would be willing to try then.
Oh yes, mutagen mushrooms should definitely be a thing. Pretty much the first thing an amatuer mycologist learns is what the Death Cap and Destroying Angel look like, and where Puffballs and Jew Ears can be found (as they're edible and pretty much impossible to mistake for anything else).
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 1086