Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863510 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2460 on: May 01, 2013, 08:42:50 pm »

Actually, scratch that. That's only if you hit a squirrel going at 1 mph and stop. If it slow you down from 120 and 119, you give it 45.000 J, the energy of a brick falling from 2 km high, or 10 g of TNT.
And this is why math is awesome.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: May 01, 2013, 10:01:46 pm »

*Checks latest version*
Nope. Still 0.4

Can't wait for 0.5, which will have the artifact saving bug fixed, NPCs back in and working, bug fixes for the new content, and rainbow shooting unicorns right? Or should I wait for 0.6?

I need to forget this game exists, then come back when it's 1.0+. I want to play it, but the issues have me kind of burnt out.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: May 01, 2013, 10:05:27 pm »

Cataclysm: the only game where you find yourself burning down the neighbour's house just so you have some light to read by.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: May 02, 2013, 01:49:59 am »

Some people use computer consoles, but whatever works I guess.

Gruntdonttoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: May 02, 2013, 02:13:23 am »

Do you guys use a favorite custom preset at all? I made one called Barebones where my strength and dex are 10's, my intelligence and perception are 9's and I have no traits or skills with Unemployed as my profession.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: May 02, 2013, 03:04:27 am »

I call my preset No. 1. It's Number One as in the first preset, not the best one - I never make any other presets anyway, although the name remains.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I find those negative traits the best ones for a normal game. Trigger Happy - if you are not one of those crazy-ass gangsta rap rasta 1080 noironsights, it doesn't hurt at all. Heavy Sleeper - lol, try sleeping anyway, cold's gonna get you. Glass Jaw - doesn't matter, takes about 20 HP which isn't that significant.
Deft, however, is an entirely diffrent matter - if you are using cutting weapons, this is the must-have trait. If you aren't, still. It helps a lot with the windows and combat overall. Night Vision helps an incredible lot, for instance I fell down a hole in the swamps, ended up in a cave. If not for Night Vision, I'd never found a way out. there isn't one I teleported out Quick helps when you're in slight pain - a constant sensation in Cataclysm.
Skills. Why only melee? Because no more points, and this is the thing you should go for. You're going to wear a lot of encumbering bullshit early on, until you get a sewing kit and such, and every point in torso encumberance takes a point from the melee skill. I could go dodge, but it doesn't help all that much when you're windowin all the way.
I don't think I have to explain why I have intelligence as the highest stat here - I will anyway. It decreaces your reading time, increaces skill comprehension and decreaces difficulty of crafting items, installing bionics and such. You can improve the other stats, easily or not, but int is the most important one of them all.

Sheesh, I won't be writing a long post in a week now.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2466 on: May 02, 2013, 10:04:10 am »

I preset whatever build I am using at the moment. I generally don't change that build anyway because most anything can be picked up in the game so its good for most circumstances. I have been calling it cloth archer lately because I put a point in archery and and a few in tailoring. Though I must admit lately I have been messing around with my disadvantages lately so I don't have a specific one at the moment.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: May 02, 2013, 10:12:30 am »

Am I the only person who starts with 14 int? I tend to start with 10 in every stat except int, which is 14, so I can eventualy (if I survive that long) max out skill gain from every book and install every CBM I find with ease, and become a pretty badass mutant cyborg thing.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2468 on: May 02, 2013, 10:18:16 am »

I have been considering doing a smart build lately. I have dabbled in it but not enough to get a good build. I might actually go smart for my next character because my current character found a lot of books. I would probably take a point in archery and maybe a point in survival to be able to make a bow. Then again I always do that now.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: May 02, 2013, 10:46:51 am »

Smart builds are boring. 6 int illiterate good-for-nothing(0 skills) with skill rust at 1.

Gruntdonttoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: May 02, 2013, 11:14:39 am »

What exactly is skill rust? Is it when you don't use a skill you start to become less and less adept with said skill?

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: May 02, 2013, 11:21:12 am »

yep

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: May 02, 2013, 11:22:31 am »

Skill rust doesn't really make sense from a believability standpoint.
I would forget the scraps of information I picked up from a book way faster than I would all the knowledge and experience and study from hours and hours of work.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: May 02, 2013, 11:24:42 am »

I'm usually using a preset I made to be half-good half-something-I'm-roleplaying. I just call it technician and it works pretty well when you've gotten past the initial day or so:

Stats:
str: 10
dex: 9
int: 11
per: 9

Str for carrying capacity, int for bionics, and the rest to not be 8 :P

Perks:
Fleet-footed
Light step

Heavy sleeper
Glass jaw
Lightweight
Truthteller

Fleet-footed is awesome with a bear trap and a crossbow, it can clear out entire towns given some time. Just watch out for brutes and hulks. Apply molotovs liberally.
Negatives because none of them are that bad, Heavy sleeper because you should never sleep somewhere unsafe anyway, glass jaw because torso damage always kills me anyway and lightweight kinda feels right with the positive traits. Finally truthteller because lolnoNPCs.

Then I take lab technician as profession because of flavour and +1 in mechanics to make a crowbar from a locker in the shelter.

Smart builds are boring. 6 int illiterate good-for-nothing(0 skills) with skill rust at 1.

That could actually be hilarious. An illiterate, no-int super strength brute named Slab McBeefcake going around smacking zombies into goo with a nail bat.

"Slab don't need no fancy guns or thingamajigs, just smash zombis an dey die"

Only eat raw meat and drink loads of alcohol for bonus points.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: May 02, 2013, 11:28:30 am »

What exactly is skill rust? Is it when you don't use a skill you start to become less and less adept with said skill?

Yeah. There are three different options for this... I don't remember what the default is.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 1086