Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863045 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2310 on: April 25, 2013, 09:02:21 am »

Yeah, I ballsed up and made it require between_walls, but didn't give the tag to the fences.
So basically you need to build some walls there.

Mkay... what does a log wall require, then? I have all the materials and tools, but can't seem to build it (on a dirt tile).

I'm just trying to make the cheapest 'wall' tiles in order to get the gate constructed. I then plan to deconstruct the walls and put wire fences there instead.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2311 on: April 25, 2013, 09:15:52 am »

Needs a pit, either deep or shallow I think. I'll be removing that necessity in the future too.

My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: April 25, 2013, 11:11:35 am »

Thanks. :]

The pit kinda makes sense to me. But then it should follow that the other types of fence posts should also require pits (which they don't).

I'm well on my way to surrounding my LMOE shelter with fences, pits, and traps. Ain't nuthin' getting in here without half its skin shredded and dragging behind its bloodied mass in tatters.

Why can I no craft chairs. I want a porch. I would like to watch the aforementioned mutilations as I sit and enjoy a good book and a glass of wine.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: April 25, 2013, 11:31:01 am »

I'm removing the necessity for a pit and just adding a bit of extra time to the palisade wall construction time. No sense making the players do the extra three or four clicks required to dig a pit when the game could just abstract it.

And more furniture will become available once we work out the silliness with map layers.

Also, I've fixed the previously mentioned issues in source. Chainlink fences now bash and cut down to dirt, they have the supports_roof flag, and you can remove fence posts with a hacksaw without needing to build an entire damned fence on it ( I have no idea what I was thinking when I forgot to add that)
My cabbages!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: April 25, 2013, 11:51:21 am »

I'm removing the necessity for a pit and just adding a bit of extra time to the palisade wall construction time. No sense making the players do the extra three or four clicks required to dig a pit when the game could just abstract it.

We could do with a way to make constructions chain, so if a player opts to build a pit then a wall that is fine, but if they just build a wall the game notes that ground goes to pit and just tags that action onto the start of the queue.

This could extend so building a windows needs a window frame needs a wall which needs a etc etc etc.... obviously we'd have to be careful how far that goes.
I'm all in favour of removing 'monkey-work' type things for players.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #2315 on: April 25, 2013, 12:20:08 pm »

We could do with a way to make constructions chain, so if a player opts to build a pit then a wall that is fine, but if they just build a wall the game notes that ground goes to pit and just tags that action onto the start of the queue.

This could extend so building a windows needs a window frame needs a wall which needs a etc etc etc.... obviously we'd have to be careful how far that goes.
I'm all in favour of removing 'monkey-work' type things for players.

There's certainly advantages to using the construction (or crafting, for that matter) chain system. The most obvious of which is that it stops a single crafting objective (such as building a fence post) being atomic, which benefits the player in cases where they are interrupted. From what I understand, though this is largely through observation in LPs as my character hasn't tried constructing anything yet, if you're interrupted while crafting or constructing something you're either lucky and get given the option to stop and react (in which case you lose all progress and will have to start afresh), or unlucky and your character stubbornly continues work until he's finished, allowing an enemy to stand there beating you while you're distracted with your work.

If, as Shades suggests, a single crafting objective (build a fence) was logically split up into multiple smaller actions, which the code helpfully strings together, then if you're interrupted you'll only lose the progress on the current step rather than the whole thing. The player could still be afforded the option to perform each step individually if they wanted (perhaps they don't want to commit too much time to the task, but want to get it started all the same), and if attempting to construct something on a tile which already has some of the work done, the code just skips the completed steps as necessary.

This would seem to be the best of both worlds :)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: April 25, 2013, 12:26:37 pm »

You don't lose the progress, you can go back and pick up where you left off. The system is absolutely horrible and needs to be rewritten, but it's there.
My cabbages!

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: April 25, 2013, 01:46:17 pm »

I just had my best character yet die from a zombie hulk. Was so close to killing it too, probably would have if it hadn't sprinted over my dynamite and ignored it as it exploded behind it. I also learned that bow + bear trap = zombie killing machine. Seriously, they get stuck for so amazingly long time in those things. Bear traps are my new favourite thing.

I think I'm ready to start a new world where there isn't dead characters lying around everywhere now :P

Edit: I should also point out how much I love this game now and everyone who develops stuff for this should consider themselves patted on the back. Seriously, it's awesome you're doing this!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 01:48:50 pm by Silfurdreki »
Entropy is not what it used to be.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: April 25, 2013, 01:48:37 pm »

what news can found in next version?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: April 25, 2013, 01:54:01 pm »

so far it looks like this:

Code: [Select]
Matches usable anywhere lighters could be used previously.
Draw lit areas outside of LOS and normal sight radius the same as unlit areas
Tell the player when their gear is damaged in combat
Display player feat morale boosts
Pickling/canning
Only rust skill if X turns have passed since practice, not every x turns.
Halve rate of skill rust across the board.
Push crafting recipes out to JSON
Acid rain causes pain not injury
Changed default viewmorale key to v
Learn crafting recipes from item disassembly or books.
New Hardcore trait
Other new traits: Skilled Liar, Pretty, Beautiful, Very Beautiful, Glorius (cancels truth-teller, ugly mutations)
Set minimum move to 25
Death by starvation or thirst
New professions: tailor, scoundrel
Adjusted conditions for cutting and stabbing skill practice (should be able to practice piercing now)
Code compiles with no warnings. No user-visible change, but important stability milestone.
Added a craftable power armor power interface CBM, solar panels.
Continuous reading.
New mixed drinks
A new book; "To Serve Man"
Glowsticks, found in sporting goods stores and bedrooms.
Broken and Empty windows can no longer be taped up, alarmed windows can.
Palisade walls changed to require 2 6foot ropes rather than one thirty foot one.
Domestic Windows drop strings now (Those are the kind that can be opened)
String can be made from sinew and plant fibre.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: April 25, 2013, 02:00:36 pm »

That seems lame. What was the decision process behind that?

The rest sound good. Thanks for the continued development and improvements! :D

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: April 25, 2013, 02:32:34 pm »

You don't lose the progress, you can go back and pick up where you left off. The system is absolutely horrible and needs to be rewritten, but it's there.
Perhaps a "How long do you want to spend doing this task?" prompt when you start a lengthy task. Then you can get things started and pick them up later, at your own choosing? :3
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: April 25, 2013, 02:47:27 pm »

What does taping up windows do?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: April 25, 2013, 02:58:53 pm »

That seems lame. What was the decision process behind that?

The rest sound good. Thanks for the continued development and improvements! :D
It was leading to a lot of situations of 'Ah shit, it's acid rain and I won't be able to get back to shelter. May as well just quit', causing pain means its still an incentive to not go out, but it's no longer 'blarghldeath'. Also makes the fact that there aren't covered walkways and tunnels everywhere for getting around less glaring.

Also also means that acid rain no longer kill zombies who are caught out in it. Muahahaha.
My cabbages!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: April 25, 2013, 03:01:42 pm »

What does taping up windows do?
Simply block line of sight and a SLIGHT slow down on zombie i guess
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 1086