Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862736 times)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2040 on: April 19, 2013, 01:50:57 am »

Pretty much as Akhier said, it had a passive multiplayer (sort of in the way of DS messages, but even less helpful lol)

I used to play on it specifically for that 'worn' feeling though, it made the world feel apocalyptic. Washed out, used and discarded. It made survival really rough, because the stores had been picked clean, but now and then you'd come across a house that was untouched, or occasionally a shop which had reasonable stocks still. It felt epic to suddenly have a stash of food!

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: April 19, 2013, 02:02:56 am »

Open your save file with something like notepad++ and look around at your worn items, should hopefully be fairly obvious what the item that's causing the issues is.
There's some weirdness with artifacts where they don't save correctly.

Reported the details here: http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=923.msg9811#msg9811

Is there anything I can do about it? Perhaps re-write the artifact values to either fix the issue, or unequip it safely?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2042 on: April 19, 2013, 02:04:50 am »

Windows or Linux?
If it's windows, post your save & version and I'll take a look at it.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: April 19, 2013, 02:43:42 am »

Pretty much as Akhier said, it had a passive multiplayer (sort of in the way of DS messages, but even less helpful lol)

I used to play on it specifically for that 'worn' feeling though, it made the world feel apocalyptic. Washed out, used and discarded. It made survival really rough, because the stores had been picked clean, but now and then you'd come across a house that was untouched, or occasionally a shop which had reasonable stocks still. It felt epic to suddenly have a stash of food!

So would that mean you could find other players bases and stashes and then loot them?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: April 19, 2013, 02:52:10 am »

Windows or Linux?

Windows pre-compiled, file: https://www.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_7602872572

Maybe I could just delete that item? I'm just worried about leaving orphaned effects on the character. I know it gave me the 'psychic protection' effect, I don't know of any negatives or other effects though.

Thanks for taking a look, I appreciate it :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: April 19, 2013, 02:53:36 am »

So would that mean you could find other players bases and stashes and then loot them?
Theoretically, yes. The save files were also unprotected so you could just og in and suicide em all. Griefers heaven.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: April 19, 2013, 03:04:53 am »

Windows or Linux?
Try del
Windows pre-compiled, file: https://www.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_7602872572

Maybe I could just delete that item? I'm just worried about leaving orphaned effects on the character. I know it gave me the 'psychic protection' effect, I don't know of any negatives or other effects though.

Thanks for taking a look, I appreciate it :)
Try backing the save up and deleting it first, I'll need to wait until I get home to take a look at it. Hopefully it'll get it sorted.
My cabbages!

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: April 19, 2013, 03:06:54 am »

So fartifacts are game ruining bug monsters currently?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: April 19, 2013, 03:14:05 am »

It bugged because I equipped it. I think it should be okay to simply collect them, but I wouldn't try to use them. I don't know whether the latest git versions have fixed these issues, so if you're using that you might be fine.

Edit: On closer inspection, both artifacts I was holding in my inventory turned into "none"s after I saved & quit. So I don't think you can even collect them, because they'll just turn into null items as soon as you reload the game.

With that information, it seems likely that I won't be able to recover either artifact, so I am going to back up the save as suggested, delete the items, and try to continue playing. I'll let you know if there are any further problems.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:19:30 am by Moogie »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: April 19, 2013, 03:31:18 am »

Unfortunately the artifacts are lost yes, but hopefully you can recover the character.
My cabbages!

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: April 19, 2013, 03:42:12 am »

Playing now, seems to be doing ok. I don't know whether I'm still under the effect of psychic protection, or any other unknown effects, but I'll post if I spot any strange messages.

For now, it looks like I can keep my guy going. :)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: April 19, 2013, 04:32:09 am »

It was technically multiplayer. Everyone played in the same world but you could never meet anyone else. If you where in an area and someone else entered the same area you where both in separate instances of that area and I think the last to leave was which ever instance was saved. When you left an area and it was unloaded it was saved so people where able to work together in a round about way but generally all it did was make the world really feel worn. After a while the main start area would be deserted of anything of value.

Thing is in the old version each area was a separate file which mean you could do that an only had occasional weirdness where people overwrote the same file and so changes got lost. With DDA all of the submap data is in maps.txt (for now) so it would just be whoever saves last each time and a lot of the niceness from the shared environment is gone.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: April 19, 2013, 05:58:38 am »

The passive multiplayer was all about finding stashes, dead characters and their forts. However, the much emptier world than the current singleplayer made it a sea of blandness with islands of excitement sprinkled in.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:06:08 am by Mookzen »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2053 on: April 19, 2013, 09:22:41 am »

Right at this moment GryphonGod is streaming CataclysmDDA if anyone is interested.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: April 19, 2013, 12:00:10 pm »

I don't think he knows how to play though :P
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 1086