Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862347 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #375 on: January 14, 2013, 12:48:24 pm »

I had an idea, but I have no idea if it's in already.

If weather is implented, mayby there could be some sort of consstruction that gathers water when it rains? Mayby it could be called "rain water" that has a very slight chance of making you sick.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 14, 2013, 01:08:07 pm »

At the very least, even if they don't attack WHILE you're driving, I imagine the metal eaters will follow you around, maybe waiting for you to go inside before tearing some chunks out of your vehicle. It would also give an incentive not to leave valuable vehicles unattended outside, and a reason to move into a place with a garage or to build your own.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #377 on: January 14, 2013, 01:19:31 pm »

If they eat metal, they'd just eat the doors of your garage :P
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 14, 2013, 01:28:10 pm »

Perhaps if acid rain simply damaged vehicles.  It would kinda screw up parking lots in bad ways.  But I imagine it would be incentive to bring your car inside if 4 straight hours of full on acid rain light green'd to yellowed everything not protected by being 'IN'.  Damage would slowly add up.  Even if all it does per downpour of acid rain is light green'd everything, that's a lot of time and battery power to fix every part.  And if you don't fix it, the damage will add up.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 14, 2013, 01:29:30 pm »

Well, Darkling, I'd imagine you could either make your garage door out of wood or junk metal. :P

Or just patch the holes whenever they eat through. (Easier than fixing the vehicle, doesn't require any specialized parts)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #380 on: January 14, 2013, 01:40:33 pm »

Having fun with this game so far :) Haven't downloaded the newest version yet but I think I am just one release behind so that's okay. The only thing in the version I am playing that irks me is how the zombies spawn.
* GalenEvil sees a single zombie, runs away
* GalenEvil hears a window breaking, then more and more
* GalenEvil is swarmed by a horde of zombies that follows him to the ends of the earth...
* GalenEvil is dead!

That seems to be the general route that most of my characters have taken so far :P
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #381 on: January 14, 2013, 01:59:13 pm »

I think the best way to explain the lack of vehicles is some lore and infrastructure. Throw in a fair number of broken down, smashed, and exploded cars and it will stop being something that's questioned.

Let's say that the government started focusing heavily on reducing emissions at some point, and to assist with that began constructing a huge rail network for public transportation. This would go beyond the simple subway system we have now, as it would be above ground. Also, buses and trolleys would be more common for local transportation needs. Bicycles may also be a fair addition, but we've discussed those before.

After the infrastructure was in place, taxes on gasoline and high emission vehicles eventually got so high that only the well-off could own cars without going broke. Tax breaks were given for carpooling (Along with an entire government site dedicated to organizing carpools), however, so it wasn't the sole property of  People who wanted to avoid the taxes could also turn in their cars for cards that gave them so many credits for public transportation, which could last for months or even years, depending on the car and how much you travel. The government typically recycled these cars or gave them to different agencies as a form of funding.

It's a bit of a stretch, but it makes sense without adding metal eating monsters to the game.

Or, as an alternative idea, infected people(s) who die in vehicles eventually evolve into a creature that fills the car and is capable of operating it. Hear a loud VROOM? Better take some cover, the demon car is coming!

The best part is, the AI for these things doesn't have to be good, since they're essentially giant blobs mindlessly driving cars around and trying to hit you. These would make dangerous, entertaining, and rewarding enemies.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 14, 2013, 02:03:51 pm »

I want boats and amphibious cars :(
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 14, 2013, 03:35:07 pm »

I like the idea of the zombie-Christine cars.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 14, 2013, 09:27:39 pm »

But how would you fight back against a CAR? It's not step you can move fast enough to sidestep it.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 14, 2013, 09:32:00 pm »

Run into the forest.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 14, 2013, 09:33:23 pm »

I haven't got a car yet in this version, but shouldn't car be able to run down trees, at least in the future? I'm pretty sure a demon car won't give a shit about getting damaged.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 14, 2013, 09:35:01 pm »

Maybe they could have a reduce movement speed, and be really, really loud.  Hear them in the distance, and you immediately take cover in either a building or a forest. 
But the idea of a zombie car would be awesome. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 14, 2013, 09:46:11 pm »

Hey. We have grenade launchers and C4 for a reason. Blowing up demonic zombie-cars.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #389 on: January 14, 2013, 11:33:28 pm »

It could be a mid-game occurrence to discourage instant newbie doom. Any car you happen across before a certain time period, say, four or five days, has a significant chance of being filled with some fleshy substance and unusable unless you hack through and remove the hundreds of pounds of flesh and bone sitting inside of it. Blowing it up should be a better choice, either because it makes a lot of noise or because it's so dang hard to completely kill during its incubation stage. Either way, once enough time has passed and you haven't killed it, you'll find the entire car has come to life and become death on wheels. Any damage that the car has sustained will be regenerated with organic replacements, except the engine, which is the main weakness of the beast, unless you get a lucky shot and hit something important inside of the pulsating mass of flesh inside the car. Also, bombs and Molotov cocktails. Make whole cars rare enough, and most people will be forced to fight hell itself to get whatever car parts they need to build a vehicle.

Seeing a person driving a car made from scrap is suddenly impressive rather than common. Do you know what that dude had to kill to get those car parts?!

I have no idea how feasible it is coding-wise, but it sounds freaking awesome.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 1086