Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861546 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #330 on: January 10, 2013, 05:57:32 pm »

They hold 40 units of water, 100 units of gasoline is equivalent to 1 unit of water, and 7 units of alcohol.

E: Also, no, flashlights are not supposed to poop out wire. I just kept typing itm_wire instead of itm_cable. Shall fix.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 10, 2013, 06:59:33 pm »

Like so:

Why can we not have this ?

That could kinda work but there are a few issues with that as far as I can tell.

• The map would show you as underground, and it might also require any underground is always dark hard-coding to be removed.
  • In order for the building to have windows the outside area of emptyness would have to be 5x5 for every floor to make sure you can't see any of the solid rock walls.  That is A LOT of real estate, most of which is already in use in the city from sewers and subway.
  • Some people do go mining.  Way I understand it there's actually stuff to find.  Not only would encountering a very large unbreakable wall be offputting.  Ant nests can be huge, and already seem to have some problems with breaking into nearby underground terrain.  Right now it seems pretty normal that the ants happened to dig into a sewer or lab.  It would be really weird if they dug into some warped empty space with the top floor of the apartment building downtown floating in it.

I'm all for multiple z level buildings.  But I'm not sure making them just be disguised basements would be the way to go.

Yeah you're probably right, going to all that trouble to find workarounds for this ass-backwards way of doing it is probably not worth it. Might as well wait for a proper implementation if it ever comes, not that I'm -that- excited for multiple floors, its just a flash of inspiration I wanted to share. Getting proper NPCs in the game is roughly 100 times more important, of course.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 10, 2013, 07:05:13 pm »

Posting to watch the new thread.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 10, 2013, 08:50:37 pm »

Can we get them ability to completely purify water in a jerrycan with the fire? At the moment I'm only making one unit of water per reaction and I need another container for it.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 10, 2013, 08:59:03 pm »

Has there already been a discussion about the main GUI?  I've never really understood why it is setup the way it is, like, why can't I see everything that my character sees at once, without needing to 'look' to see it?  It's especially troublesome in vehicles, now, since you can hurtle a whole screens length in one turn, straight into a river with that motorcycle you just found and worked hard to get gasoline for...  :(

Really, though... why is it so small?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 11, 2013, 07:28:03 am »

Has there already been a discussion about the main GUI?  I've never really understood why it is setup the way it is, like, why can't I see everything that my character sees at once, without needing to 'look' to see it?  It's especially troublesome in vehicles, now, since you can hurtle a whole screens length in one turn, straight into a river with that motorcycle you just found and worked hard to get gasoline for...  :(
Really, though... why is it so small?

Because that's the way Whales made it :P
Right now the screen size is tied into all kinds of things all over the damn place, but it's something I'd like to do something about some time.

Can we get them ability to completely purify water in a jerrycan with the fire? At the moment I'm only making one unit of water per reaction and I need another container for it.
The other container thing is a result of a bugfix, where containers that had things in them could be eaten by crafts, so making a grenade could use up your last tin of beans. The one charge at a time thing is because there's currently no good way of making crafting output several items or charges, and anyway, there needs to be a downside to purifying water with fire in order to not make water purifiers totally worthless.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:31:05 am by The Darkling Wolf »
My cabbages!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 11, 2013, 08:04:05 am »

]The other container thing is a result of a bugfix, where containers that had things in them could be eaten by crafts, so making a grenade could use up your last tin of beans. The one charge at a time thing is because there's currently no good way of making crafting output several items or charges, and anyway, there needs to be a downside to purifying water with fire in order to not make water purifiers totally worthless.

Wouldn't you pretty much have to distil the water to purify it with fire (and so need another container anyway as well as some way to reflux), just boiling it wouldn't kill everything, and if we are talking just boiling we could easily add water evils what don't get fixed that way. I imagine it would take longer to do either than using purifier so time is another downside.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 11, 2013, 10:24:54 am »

Because that's the way Whales made it :P
Right now the screen size is tied into all kinds of things all over the damn place, but it's something I'd like to do something about some time.

I'm glad it's on your radar!

If/when the change is made, it'd be cool to have a more realistic field of view as well.  From what I remember it's a rectangle/square, but a pseudo-circle (as circular as you can get on a grid) would better in my opinion.  Keep up the excellent work!

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 11, 2013, 11:31:38 am »

]The other container thing is a result of a bugfix, where containers that had things in them could be eaten by crafts, so making a grenade could use up your last tin of beans. The one charge at a time thing is because there's currently no good way of making crafting output several items or charges, and anyway, there needs to be a downside to purifying water with fire in order to not make water purifiers totally worthless.

Wouldn't you pretty much have to distil the water to purify it with fire (and so need another container anyway as well as some way to reflux), just boiling it wouldn't kill everything, and if we are talking just boiling we could easily add water evils what don't get fixed that way. I imagine it would take longer to do either than using purifier so time is another downside.
For the sake of simplicity, I'll keep it as is. This is Hollywood, boiling water gets rid of everything from microorganisms to salt.
My cabbages!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 11, 2013, 08:54:56 pm »

Found a crash/hang when entering a mine from a manhole. Crowbarred the manhole cover off, attempted to go down, and "Cataclysm (Not Responding)"
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #340 on: January 11, 2013, 10:36:58 pm »

Sounds like something good to RP (purified water only), but overly burdensome on the non-hardcore.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 11, 2013, 11:22:00 pm »

So, I downloaded this a few days ago. I opened it, and ... it's my first time. Can anyone link me to a tutorial of some kind for me to begin with ?

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #342 on: January 11, 2013, 11:25:37 pm »

Press the question mark key ("?") for in-game help. It's not super well documented, but getting a basic idea of which keys do what is a good help.

After that, if you're like me, you'll learn more from running around doing stuff.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 11, 2013, 11:27:08 pm »

I'm horrible at documenting things, so most of the changes made in this version are a surprise :P
My cabbages!

Doohl

• Bay Watcher
  • [OMNIPOTENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 11, 2013, 11:57:46 pm »

I wish NPCs were more fleshed out, capable of more diverse dialog and capable of reacting to events around them in a more intelligent way. Perhaps if you had a companion NPC, they would be able to contribute to conversations with other NPCs, and maybe even spawn in groups with other NPCs. I just might poke around the code and see what improvements I can make on NPCs.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 1086