Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861393 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #300 on: January 09, 2013, 05:39:25 pm »

Zombie Spawns:  Make it somewhat customizable?  Current system could be high difficulty or challenge mode.  Default could be something more realistic.  I also think the spawn rates are pretty ridiculous.  They don't even come from anywhere.  You make some noise, and they just start pouring in from all edges of your screen, even from areas that you just explored.  It would make a lot of sense to me if the majority spawned from within nearby buildings, especially ones that you haven't explored.  Then you have some time to move around and prepare after making noise before they're on top of you, and you can't just run through a nearby building and be guaranteed not to encounter anything inside that could foil your escape.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 09, 2013, 06:21:44 pm »

We should be able to have more than one floor in buildings by tricking the player. Spawn multiple basement-type areas underground with a bigger unreachable outer room with floor titles named 'empty space') so it seems like we are going up instead of down and teleport the player between them, each representing a higher floor. Use the same staircase connections backwards to make it down the 'imaginary' multi-storey building.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 07:04:52 pm by Mookzen »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #302 on: January 09, 2013, 06:24:52 pm »

The game pitches a fit if you go down more than one Z-level, and starts teleporting you into new overworlds.

Still, I'm not opposed to the idea of adding in multiple z-levels, so it may make an appearance eventually.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 09, 2013, 06:27:51 pm »

The game pitches a fit if you go down more than one Z-level, and starts teleporting you into new overworlds.

Still, I'm not opposed to the idea of adding in multiple z-levels, so it may make an appearance eventually.

With the approach I described we are not adding any z-levels but merely using the already implemented basement level creatively. Furthermore, considering there was a bug that made players going down a staircase appear at another one somewhere else we know that they don't have to be directly one above the other. (if that even happens atm) So, essentially, we are building the imaginary z-levels horizontally and using the 'outer room' trick to confuse the player into thinking its not underground.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 06:35:18 pm by Mookzen »

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #304 on: January 09, 2013, 06:30:32 pm »

Z levels are pretty tricky in roguelikes in general. I remember it took a looooooooong time for Toady to finally release a version of DF with a good Z-level system, and as far as I know it's the only roguelike that's done something similar. It'd be a pretty major undertaking without using workarounds and tricks.

Zombie Spawns:  Make it somewhat customizable?  Current system could be high difficulty or challenge mode.  Default could be something more realistic.  I also think the spawn rates are pretty ridiculous.  They don't even come from anywhere.  You make some noise, and they just start pouring in from all edges of your screen, even from areas that you just explored.  It would make a lot of sense to me if the majority spawned from within nearby buildings, especially ones that you haven't explored.  Then you have some time to move around and prepare after making noise before they're on top of you, and you can't just run through a nearby building and be guaranteed not to encounter anything inside that could foil your escape.

I dunno, even the way it is now is pretty easy for most veterans. There could be multiple options for spawns, where you can adjust the spawn rate (Hardly Anything to Don't Breathe Too Hard), population (Podunk Town to Megalopolis), and hoard chance (Hoardly Anything to The Streets Runneth Over).

The ability to tweak zombie perceptions (So they all don't automatically swarm your exact location, and occasionally wander aimlessly in the street) would be nice, too, but that'd require a bit of AI work. Dropping zombie perception to the minimum and jacking population and spawn chance to the max would be a trip.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 09, 2013, 06:56:33 pm »

Like so:

Why can we not have this ?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 07:14:42 pm by Mookzen »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 09, 2013, 06:57:49 pm »

What happens if you decide to mine through the walls?
My cabbages!

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 09, 2013, 07:00:48 pm »

What happens if you decide to mine through the walls?

You can't, if needed we make a separate type of wall that cannot be destroyed and use it only for this purpose. (I'm not privy to how exactly the game handles objects and definitions) Or you can and die when you step on one of those titles. Its an ass-backwards way of handling it, but it presents a real option of doing so given the current implementation of the game.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 07:10:17 pm by Mookzen »

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 09, 2013, 07:02:34 pm »

it actually is possible to completely clear small towns of zombies. They do stop spawning after you've killed enough. But it can be confusing if the town is "too close" to another small-ish town, itself not far enough of another, etc. I got no idea how it actually works but zombies numbers are definitely determined by the number of buildings around, "around" having a certain range.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #309 on: January 10, 2013, 01:26:19 am »

I intentionally approached my first triffid grove today.

It was a lot like this, but with more screaming and crashing into the trees that were popping up in front of me.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 10, 2013, 03:18:39 am »

Found another bug, this time with sight.

If you have the option to lock the camera onto thrown objects, sight gets messed up after a short distance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Context: I am inside the entrance of a lab, throwing the object towards the building's entrance. It is daytime.

Here's how sight looks if I throw it one tile closer to me:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 10, 2013, 04:07:15 am »

Yeah, that's just a lighting error, enemies and stuff should still show up, even if it doesn't display the terrain. I'll hopefully get it fixed at some point though.
My cabbages!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 10, 2013, 04:29:39 am »

Like so:

Why can we not have this ?
3D Cataclysm would be definitely cool.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 10, 2013, 04:47:37 am »

3D Cataclysm would be definitely cool.

True enough, but thats not exactly what I was getting at with all of that.  :P

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 10, 2013, 04:51:54 am »

Yeah, that's just a lighting error, enemies and stuff should still show up, even if it doesn't display the terrain. I'll hopefully get it fixed at some point though.

If you can find a cheaper way to calculate the lighting then increasing the area far enough to avoid glitches light that should be easy enough.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 1086