Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860330 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2013, 11:51:09 pm »

Just because it's possible to play with the current inventory management formula doesn't mean it's desirable.  I should be able to carry 60 pill bottles in a backpack if I want to.  Just because it's not necessary doesn't mean it shouldn't be possible.  I just don't understand how unrealistic constraints on a player's ability to manage resources can be seen as a good thing.  I can understand if redoing the system from scratch would be too much work, but that's not the same as arguing "you're a bad player if this bothers you".
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2013, 01:22:19 am »

posting to watch
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2013, 05:02:51 am »

How hard would it be to get the system to give us more slots?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2013, 05:16:04 am »

You have my axe, Wolf.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2013, 05:19:00 am »

You have my axe, Wolf.

And my knife.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2013, 05:26:30 am »

You have my axe, Wolf.

And my knife.

And my kobold skills to get you any other weapon you need.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2013, 05:38:34 am »

You have my axe, Wolf.

And my knife.

And my general uselessness.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2013, 06:35:37 am »

You have my axe, Wolf.

And my knife.

And my extensive knowlegde of ballistics and fecal matter.

See where i am going?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2013, 06:39:33 am »

So... Just ended up ith the status effect of bugs under skin. Is this bad?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2013, 06:49:15 am »

You have my axe, Wolf.

And my knife.

And my extensive knowlegde of ballistics and fecal matter.

See where i am going?
You may also have my skills of sewing. To prevent whatever Dr Poo is going to do.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2013, 11:37:35 am »

Harder than you'd expect. That number isn't just random... it's the number of letters on the keyboard. While expanding it to include letters and symbols in the top row would be pretty easy, and in fact already happens if you somehow bypass the standard item limit, that's just pushing the problem up a bit higher, to a 74 item limit, at best.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2013, 12:20:11 pm »

Harder than you'd expect. That number isn't just random... it's the number of letters on the keyboard. While expanding it to include letters and symbols in the top row would be pretty easy, and in fact already happens if you somehow bypass the standard item limit, that's just pushing the problem up a bit higher, to a 74 item limit, at best.

You can't remove the system attributing letters to items [randomly, I may add, since my entire inventory ends up randomly assigned capitols] on pickup and instead use a-z to show the items on the inventory? Like I've said before, you simply do not need the item limit. It's a silly, arbitrary number of things to limit yourself to carry because of the 'number of slots' is full. While you have 100+ volume and weight limit left to fill.

It simply doesn't make any sense to shove that kind of limitation down a person's throat in a game where, generally, every item matters.

It's also rather useless to 'stash' emergency items like, let's say, drugs, or bandages. I don't find a horde, then decide that i need to go across town to pick up some meth to run from them. All because I can't hold anything since I'm carrying ammo, have 20 items equipped, and bare minimum amount of tools/food can easily push you to that limit.

It literally made me change my entire playstyle to account for a silly arbitrary limit on the things I can carry. I used to pick packmule every character, but then I realized no matter what I'd do I'd simply hit a silly 54-limit no matter how much volume I do have, and especially faster if I bothered to waste encumbrance on a backpack. I do appreciate the fact that whales was, originally, trying to make it so people can't simply horde everything they need, but with the variety and types of items being so huge, I can simply see no way around the system's limits. Scrapping it or find a way to work around it [or telling players they're not good enough because of the limit affecting them] seems to be the only way to deal with ti so far..

It's archaic, honestly, a made-up limitation is worse to me then a game having such inherent difficulty like this one. I've played Cat for years and it is honestly one of the only complaints I've ever had. I appreciate that you made it so comestibles combine, so the issue of a stack of pillbottles becoming 2+ items is solved, but the issue is the limit even exists in the first place.

Not to mention it doesn't really do much for inventory accessibility.

Look, I love this game. It's an amazing endeavour. I just absolutely cannot stand this inventory system. Here's my example of suggestions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If I have to search my inventory to find an item['s letter attributed to it for no real reason], every single time, there's an issue.

Also I'm finding all sorts of neat things you've changed in this version which I appreciate. Especially, especially, especially being able to destroy all types of furniture. I can actually barricade a house without smashing doors everywhere around it first!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:24:24 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2013, 12:39:22 pm »

I'm not saying it isn't solvable, I'm saying it's not as easy as it might appear at first glance.

But I honestly don't understand your post or how its relevant to the issue at hand, except when you mentioned (as near I can tell) doubling up on symbols to allow things like "99" to be valid. And even that might not have been what you meant, although it would solve the problem. And if it's what you're saying, the solution you stated still wouldn't work (though a variant would).

Or are you trying to say that each inventory "screen" should have it's own (up to 52) letter assignments? Because that would definitely increase the annoying number of clicks for certain tasks...

Regardless, it is not a "made up" limitation, it is a side effect of the implementation style. So we'd have to change the implementation in order to get around it. Whales didn't, because he didn't have a problem with the side effect. We would still need a new implementation, though.

I think I will make an actual proposal in the forums though, as I have an idea that should work and balance most of people's concerns. Tell me what you think of it there. Implementing it will /not/ be trivial though.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2013, 12:47:02 pm »

You didn't mention how this new implentation will solve our problem in the forum.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2013, 12:58:19 pm »

Typing, I dunno what happened, I got sent mid-post. >:c
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 01:02:56 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 1086