Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861465 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9585 on: December 29, 2013, 11:01:44 am »

I've been playing this game on and off since it first came out and I've never been that good at it but finally I survived one whole day with a broken leg due to a web spider out in the woods. Any tips for trying to set up in a base. I was using the emergency shelter I spawned it but it was too close to town and eventually even with all my measures to slow down zombies I eventually got to the point where the damage had accumulated to the point where I could barely move

Ahh, base building. Always fun.

Buildings are better than camps typically. Not only are walls almost impregnable, but it will protect you from acid rain which can be deadly. Ideally, you want just one or two entries into the room, both secure enough to keep the zombies at bay for a few rounds but neither so fortified that you can't get through them. Doors or a door and a duct taped window should suffice, they make a lot of noise when zombies are pounding on them and aren't too hard to replace. If you can't find those or don't have the option yet, the basement of your starting shelter is a good backup. Not very comfortable, at least until you can put a makeshift bed/chair/couch/bedroll/cot down there to sleep on, but due to the current z-level limitations zombies will only follow you downstairs if they were already tracking you when you went down. Just be aware that sometimes there are zombies down there already that you'll have to clear out (tip: build a barricade out of the benches [you can 'G'rab and push them] go downstairs, 's'mash one of the walls to make them follow you, then run back up the stairs and get behind the barricade).

As for defense, I rarely bother with traps. Not only does it require a lot of traps skill to build traps, but if you have to run away you'll have to disable them before you can move on. Instead, 'G'rab nearby furniture in the house and build fallback barricades inside. If zombies start to break in, use the barricades to slow them down while you attack them with ranged or melee weapons.

Beyond that, if you're having other difficulty with surviving I added my guide from a few weeks back to my sig. The information in it is still good, it's the strategy I typically use when playing with doubled spawns.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9586 on: December 30, 2013, 12:05:35 pm »

Goddamn, it took me far too long to figure out how to get vehicle turrets to fire. Tip: Gotta drop ammo onto the turret's tile.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9587 on: December 30, 2013, 02:28:03 pm »

Hm, just got cured of my influenza, I feel so happy now that I can go outside with vomiting my brains out!

*suddenly zombears*
You mean free sinew and Fur? Yes please!((golf clubs are quite powerful))

I think zombears only drop tainted meat.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9588 on: December 30, 2013, 02:42:35 pm »

Hm, just got cured of my influenza, I feel so happy now that I can go outside with vomiting my brains out!

*suddenly zombears*
You mean free sinew and Fur? Yes please!((golf clubs are quite powerful))

I think zombears only drop tainted meat.
They also drop 0-2 furs, but no sinew.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9589 on: December 30, 2013, 03:16:42 pm »

Do any of you actually use the fur stuff? I tend to just turn it into leather as its the kind of clothes I find that gets used. Also is there a way to train Electronics without a book or putting points into it at the start? There doesn't seem to be any recipes you can craft without any points in it. I was just playing a character who found a library and there wasn't a book for it there and not being able to read through the night was annoying.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9590 on: December 30, 2013, 03:38:24 pm »

I think the fur trenchcoat is better than the leather one in every catagory-- if you can handle the warmth. Otherwise not really.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9591 on: December 30, 2013, 04:23:06 pm »

Do any of you actually use the fur stuff? I tend to just turn it into leather as its the kind of clothes I find that gets used. Also is there a way to train Electronics without a book or putting points into it at the start? There doesn't seem to be any recipes you can craft without any points in it. I was just playing a character who found a library and there wasn't a book for it there and not being able to read through the night was annoying.

You should be able to get some skill just by disassembling things like flashlights and radios. You can also learn recipes by disassembling things.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9592 on: December 30, 2013, 04:39:32 pm »

You should be able to get some skill just by disassembling things like flashlights and radios. You can also learn recipes by disassembling things.
   I knew you could get recipes but I didn't know you could train by taking things apart. Thanks for the tip. Not being able to make good long lasting reading lights makes a library somewhat less useful.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9593 on: December 30, 2013, 05:18:17 pm »

As far as needing light, I've always found lightstrips to work fine. Theoretically they are finite, but as you begin to use them you realize that they still last for a really long time, and plus when they finally do run out it's not hard to disassemble them and craft another; their components are not rare.

On other topic, I finally crafted for myself a Nodachi. It's ridiculous, 50 cutting damage. I can kill pretty much everything in 1 swing, 2 very rarely. And the crits, dear lord the crits.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9594 on: December 30, 2013, 05:23:08 pm »

Yeah, lightstrips are the best lighting source out there and so cheap. It does require skill to make though so zero electronics doesn't make one and thus my need to train it. As for your Nodachi I must admit that sounds fun. Not as OP as if it was ranged or something but still epic enough to be worthy of crafting.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9595 on: January 01, 2014, 12:54:26 am »

I've found that before you can get a light strip, you can get by with fires. A brazier can be crafted from a smashed oven, and with a filter mask you can hide the light inside a house if you need to. It's a decent substitute. Lightstrips are better, as they make it easier to craft during rain or to repair your gear underground without burning through tons of batteries, but fire is a passable alternative.

As far as swords go, I still think the Rising Sun is probably my favorite. It's damage/time ratio is as good if not better than the Nodachi, and you can ignite it as a gasoline powered flashlight.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9596 on: January 01, 2014, 01:04:31 am »

Am I the only one who prefers blunt weapons? A metal-tipped quarterstaff was kicking the ass of everything in my path last time I played, and I always had a walking stick on me. Bonus!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9597 on: January 01, 2014, 02:12:04 am »

Blunt weapons are generally preferable on unskilled characters. The lack of getting stuck or wrenched out of hands is big. Not as critical as in the past, but still big.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9598 on: January 01, 2014, 02:13:54 am »

I haven't actually gotten far enough with melee weapons to have a preferences. To be honest the only upgrade to my weapon I get is when I find a real crowbar to replace my home made one. In fact about all I have gotten far with recently is my fists and I don't even understand the martial arts currently in the game.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9599 on: January 01, 2014, 02:24:04 am »

Well, cutting is nice and all, and you get big numbers, but I've gotten addicted to the stun crits when bashing gets decently high. *shrug* Preferences...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 1086