Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860168 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9030 on: November 16, 2013, 06:37:46 pm »

Hrm, does it help you snipe smokers?

Might have to do a test in debug mode on my test world...

I have seen it show me zombies as ?s though.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9031 on: November 16, 2013, 09:23:22 pm »

I would have thought zombies don't give off very strong thermal signatures, being largely magic-powered,
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9032 on: November 16, 2013, 09:26:14 pm »

I would have thought zombies don't give off very strong thermal signatures, being largely magic-powered,

SHHH you'll ruin it!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #9033 on: November 16, 2013, 09:49:14 pm »

Well Anyways, I cant acess it just yet because  I dont have acess to home comp :(
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: November 16, 2013, 10:44:04 pm »

So... as much as I hate to say it, the morale boost MP3 Player and Handheld Game Console may be a bit overpowered. For comparison, mildly addictive drugs like alcohol, tobacco, cannabis, or codeine give 20-40 morale. Most of those come with some stat malus, cannabis drops most of your stats, alcohol and codeine both drop your speed, etc. MP3 player gives you 50 morale with no penalty, and the Handheld Game Console gives 35 min and... I think I've gotten 65 by getting a very high score on Snake.

Don't get me wrong, I think the drug effects should be a little more nuanced - cannabis should give you bonus morale from food, for example - but batteries and an MP3 Player grants more morale with no drawbacks.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #9035 on: November 16, 2013, 10:52:57 pm »

So... as much as I hate to say it, the morale boost MP3 Player and Handheld Game Console may be a bit overpowered. For comparison, mildly addictive drugs like alcohol, tobacco, cannabis, or codeine give 20-40 morale. Most of those come with some stat malus, cannabis drops most of your stats, alcohol and codeine both drop your speed, etc. MP3 player gives you 50 morale with no penalty, and the Handheld Game Console gives 35 min and... I think I've gotten 65 by getting a very high score on Snake.

Don't get me wrong, I think the drug effects should be a little more nuanced - cannabis should give you bonus morale from food, for example - but batteries and an MP3 Player grants more morale with no drawbacks.
Besides Eating your battery's like Mad.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9036 on: November 16, 2013, 10:56:37 pm »

How much time does it take to get the morale bonus from drugs vs mp3/gaming system?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9037 on: November 16, 2013, 11:28:50 pm »

If you turn the MP3 off after you hit 50 morale from it, you can get the maximum benefit for about 15 batteries. Same as the Handheld Game System 15 batteries per game. Batteries are more common than any of the drugs except alcohol, you can craft them by the hundred out of ammonia, rotten lemons, or vinegar, and if you disassemble phones and unload things like radios, flashlights, etc they're ludicrously common.

A possibility - rather than nerfing them, make it so you can't unload or reload them. Nowadays most MP3 players and game systems don't have removable batteries anyways. This would make the high electronics skill recipes for crafting them useful, you'd need to be fairly skilled to disassemble an iPhone and add new batteries without instructions.

Edit: Missed Grizzly's question. It takes a few minutes to get the full MP3 bonus, but you can do other things during that time so it's not a big deal. Typically I use both at the same time, turning on the MP3 and then playing a quick game on the game console. 30 batteries for 95 morale. Drugs give you the boost immediately, of course, but they're addictive and tend to come with penalties.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:33:28 pm by Grendus »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9038 on: November 16, 2013, 11:43:24 pm »

Would not make unless buffed. Too much of a hassle. Specially when you can smoke some cannabis, eat some chocolates & drink a cuppa. Making those would take the same number of mats & require additional steps, and would only be necessary if you're trying to focus with a couple broken legs.

My question was, how much time does it take, in-game? I imagine the morale benefit from coke is all at once, while an MP3 player slowly raises it.

Burp.

Well, sounds like gaming systems, MP3 players, and good books are better options for raising morale than cocain & heroine.

If, that is, you can afford the time cost. You need to focus right now? hit o meth & some adderral can meet the time constraint.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:48:00 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9039 on: November 16, 2013, 11:52:08 pm »

The problem is, focus regens over time. You need to focus right now? You're SOL my friend, you can get it up to 1 or2 focus per minute, but you can't just refill the bar. Besides, you don't need focus for anything but gaining skills, with the tripled spawns in my current game I routinely wander around with less than 20 focus just because I used it all up gaining skill with bashing and dodging.

Edit: When it comes to drugs, they're still useful for stacking benefits - some cannabis, a cigar, and a mixed drink and you're looking at a burst of 100 morale which will regen your focus very quickly - and for stat bonuses - caffeine can give you a real edge if you have a lot of zombies to kill, meth cranks it up to 11 (so long as you don't value your teeth).

As far as making them unable to be reloaded, if you have the crafting skill to make them you have enough skill to disassemble them and get most if not all of the parts back. It would be the equivalent of opening up an iPod to replace the battery, because the power sockets stopped working when the guys at the power plant went on strike turned into the living dead.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:57:03 pm by Grendus »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: November 17, 2013, 12:07:41 am »

Just had zombies spawn in
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
for the first time. It was very surprising.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9041 on: November 17, 2013, 04:21:54 am »

If you turn the MP3 off after you hit 50 morale from it, you can get the maximum benefit for about 15 batteries. Same as the Handheld Game System 15 batteries per game. Batteries are more common than any of the drugs except alcohol, you can craft them by the hundred out of ammonia, rotten lemons, or vinegar, and if you disassemble phones and unload things like radios, flashlights, etc they're ludicrously common.

A possibility - rather than nerfing them, make it so you can't unload or reload them. Nowadays most MP3 players and game systems don't have removable batteries anyways. This would make the high electronics skill recipes for crafting them useful, you'd need to be fairly skilled to disassemble an iPhone and add new batteries without instructions.
   The thing with batteries is that there are many better uses for them. Morale, once you have the skill you need, really only matters if really high or low. Flashlights, Welders, Bionics if you have the mods, and so many other things can use them so I think they are decent enough as is. I know that once I get a welder I never have enough batteries.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9042 on: November 17, 2013, 05:27:24 am »

Not to mention that drugs have other uses besides morale boosting, such as getting an extra boost of speed or ignoring pain. Besides, all it really takes to remove a battery from an MP3 player is a screwdriver, not breaking it down to it's base components. Hell, you could prolly do it with a butter knife, then it's all a matter of finding out if the battery is the right voltage and wattage for the MP3 player.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9043 on: November 17, 2013, 06:24:03 am »

The thing with batteries is that there are many better uses for them. Morale, once you have the skill you need, really only matters if really high or low. Flashlights, Welders, Bionics if you have the mods, and so many other things can use them so I think they are decent enough as is. I know that once I get a welder I never have enough batteries.

Raid Electronics Stores. If you grab every bunch of Batteries you find and (IMPORTANT) every cell phone you find, you should be good for a while.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9044 on: November 17, 2013, 06:27:01 am »

Plus you can just craft an RV welding rig.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 1086