Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860140 times)

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9015 on: November 16, 2013, 06:40:38 am »

Guys, I've just received a mail announcing the whalesdev cataclysm's forums are closing :( . thought I'd relay for the new players who weren't registered there.

Due to the official Cataclysm build being inactive, the wiki and forums will be shutdown, effective  November 24th 2013.

Make sure to download any info or files that are hosted on the forums or wiki by then, or it will be lost forever, as I will not be storing a database backup of either.

Most users have already moved on to the most popular branch, which is known as Dark Days Ahead. I recommend all current users who haven't, move on over to http://en.cataclysmdda.com/ and see what its all about.

I think we all had a pretty good time here, and it was a good run. Thanks for supporting the forums and wiki for the official branch all this time. Whalesdev.com will remain up for any future projects Whales has going, and I've dedicated myself to hosting it at least until mid 2014.

See you all next life. (Or more likely on the Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead forums!)

Regards,
The WhalesDev Forums Team.

I've scavenged a version of ,and the link for, the Rushmik Simple Tiles version

edit: screenshots gallery, courtesy of n9103 http://imgur.com/a/RqnMg#0

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 02:36:47 pm by casserol »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9016 on: November 16, 2013, 06:47:08 am »

...Why is that mode called Black Road? I'd love a snippet of lore from that.

I suspect the idea is that you must hit the road or be eaten within the first five minutes.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9017 on: November 16, 2013, 08:11:37 am »

Seems I wont be playing this version for a while, randomly shuts down on a regular basis.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9018 on: November 16, 2013, 09:11:27 am »

Seems I wont be playing this version for a while, randomly shuts down on a regular basis.
The first version of this release was broken. Try re-downloading it now.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9019 on: November 16, 2013, 09:21:49 am »

I have done, its not related to construction. Just randomly shuts down, no error message, no crash, just shuts down at entirely random moments. Id make a bug report on the cataclysm forums but there is absolutely nothing consistent about the times or actions involved when it fails.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9020 on: November 16, 2013, 11:54:13 am »

Something interesting I've found, when burning down a house to get some stone and rebar you can drastically reduce the burn time by lighting the house on fire during the rain. Once the fire has broken the ceiling, the rain will extinguish it in short order meaning you can burn a house down in under an hour. Just walk around the edges, ignite every third square of wall, and go hunt nearby or something.

Tripled spawns is interesting. Scavenging is more dangerous, though not significantly so, but the most frustrating aspect is the time. Just sweeping one house can take hours in terms of stabbing, smashing, pulping, and butchering. It also makes passive protection more effective - I had to switch to a Reinforced Leather Jacket because my arms were taking too much of a beating. Focus is another problem, I wind up using all of my focus on combat which makes training other skills such as Survival and Archery difficult.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9021 on: November 16, 2013, 11:55:43 am »

I have done, its not related to construction. Just randomly shuts down, no error message, no crash, just shuts down at entirely random moments. Id make a bug report on the cataclysm forums but there is absolutely nothing consistent about the times or actions involved when it fails.
I shoved it on the list, many others seem to get it. I got it myself about three days ago.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9022 on: November 16, 2013, 12:12:41 pm »

...Why is that mode called Black Road? I'd love a snippet of lore from that.
Maybe it has something to with the book The Road, where everything was burned black, possibly by hell- or nuclear fire(it's never explained)?

And yes, I finally posted in this thread just for that. The Road was a hell of a good book.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9023 on: November 16, 2013, 01:45:37 pm »

-New rule
If you go black road, ALWAYS turn on the static NPC.

Also minor oversight: when a grabber zombie grabs an npc, the message is "The grabber zombie grabs you!"

heh, found a crackling sphere all of 3 OM tiles away from the shelter
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 02:10:59 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9024 on: November 16, 2013, 02:31:13 pm »

-New rule
If you go black road, ALWAYS turn on the static NPC.

Also minor oversight: when a grabber zombie grabs an npc, the message is "The grabber zombie grabs you!"

heh, found a crackling sphere all of 3 OM tiles away from the shelter
Crackling sphere?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9025 on: November 16, 2013, 02:32:22 pm »

Artifact.

Who is this version name for?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9026 on: November 16, 2013, 06:11:51 pm »

Who is this version name for?
I, too, would like to know this.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9027 on: November 16, 2013, 06:19:34 pm »

The master of guilt and matron of suffering.

Mother.

Hail The Queen of Nag!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9028 on: November 16, 2013, 06:26:19 pm »

What is the best use of Infra Red Vision?

Got it after downing a few bottles of mutagen(Along with insect wings, chitinous skin and dexterity)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9029 on: November 16, 2013, 06:34:25 pm »

Hrm, does it help you snipe smokers?
Badges of honor
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 1086