Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863656 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7815 on: October 14, 2013, 10:27:10 am »

fire and burning should take moisture into account, if it rained recently (and not just raining currently), burning should be harder. If it has not rained in a while, then burning should be easier. we could incorporate climates such as draught and this would allow you to start forest fires that could rage out of control.

i have not had issues with smoke inhalation since the .6 release. even if i dont wear a filter mask, its not really that bad. this needs tinkering, but its not as catastrophic as it used to be.
What? How? If I'm in smoke for any amount of time, I die unless I have lots of medical stuff.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7816 on: October 14, 2013, 10:28:30 am »

i have not had issues with smoke inhalation since the .6 release. even if i dont wear a filter mask, its not really that bad. this needs tinkering, but its not as catastrophic as it used to be.
This is lucky for you but I can confirm that a Friday release still had entirely lethal smoke.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7817 on: October 14, 2013, 10:35:24 am »

Unless it's your base which has been struck by lightning, in which case all of your stored equipment and supplies will go up in flames before you can grab any of it.
Ah, FD, I meant that things take ages to finish burning: it all starts in a flash!

Any tips on setting up a base?
Cmega— my advice is somewhere with exactly two entrances and no windows, like the backroom of a shop. Set a camp fire on a square just outside the door so you can safely cook without going out in the rain. Be sure to clear the area for a block around to eliminate the risk of night-time intrusions. Get a camp bed or bedroll and drop a blanket on the bed tile (you'll automatically use it when sleeping on the bed). Always close the doors before going to sleep.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #7818 on: October 14, 2013, 10:41:23 am »

Yo is farming in the release yet? How do I farm?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7819 on: October 14, 2013, 10:43:26 am »

My advice for base-building is to go mobile.  Now that shrubs are nerfed, it's not so difficult to build a large rolling box that you park on the edge of town.  If you can get an electric engine and move at 20mph or higher, then you should be fine.  Just avoid actual streets, they're clogged with wrecks.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7820 on: October 14, 2013, 10:44:29 am »

Farming hemp, berries and wheat is in. finding hoes is hard and makeing them is a pain in the ass.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7821 on: October 14, 2013, 10:49:36 am »

What's in the experimental build? Is it worth getting?

I'm still on the stable release.

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7822 on: October 14, 2013, 10:51:20 am »

Experimental build has EVERYTHING added after the stable.  And is pretty stable itself.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7823 on: October 14, 2013, 10:54:39 am »

Brewing booze isn't in so there's no point.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7824 on: October 14, 2013, 10:56:12 am »

Question on NPC's and theft. I made four pouches, trying to make a survivor vest, then had to run out to get some duct tape. When I got back, the pouches were gone. Do NPC's currently steal things, or did I somehow lose them in some other way?

My advice for base-building is to go mobile.  Now that shrubs are nerfed, it's not so difficult to build a large rolling box that you park on the edge of town.  If you can get an electric engine and move at 20mph or higher, then you should be fine.  Just avoid actual streets, they're clogged with wrecks.

I've found cars and RVs but they always seem to be missing engine/wheels.

You may have to build one yourself. You'll need a hacksaw and wrench to remove parts from existing cars, a welder/improvised welder/integrated toolset to attach them to a new car, and a jack to replace tires. It's not easy, but it's worth it.

Also, if you make your car fairly narrow (3-4 tiles wide) you can navigate the streets fairly easily at low speeds. Just don't try to run zombies over without covering the car in spiked plating and blades, I've lost several cooking and welding rigs that way.

What's in the experimental build? Is it worth getting?

I'm still on the stable release.

Cars have been improved. Lots of new recipes for food, clothing, etc, many of which are very, very nice. Martial arts have been improved, they're no longer a pseudo-item, and they work extremely well (tai-kwon-do does solid damage and is extremely resilient). Character creation has been changed greatly (Otaku now costs 4 points, for example). Libraries have more books, and more advanced books. I've seen some new bionics, though I may have just never found those in the stable release. And that's what I've seen so far.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:57:47 am by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7825 on: October 14, 2013, 10:59:55 am »

Experimental build has EVERYTHING added after the stable.  And is pretty stable itself.

To add onto this:

Much of the stuff makes the game more fun in my opinion, so if you decide to get either, go get the experimental version over the stable version.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7826 on: October 14, 2013, 11:06:05 am »

What does this include?

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7827 on: October 14, 2013, 11:08:40 am »

What does this include?

EVERYTHING. Obviously.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7828 on: October 14, 2013, 11:09:09 am »

What does this include?
Don't know if there's a changelog but as it takes all of about 40 seconds to download and run, there's no real reason not to have a look. By the time you've finished reading this sentence you could have been playing the experimental build.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7829 on: October 14, 2013, 11:13:36 am »

What does this include?

Cars have been improved. Lots of new recipes for food, clothing, etc, many of which are very, very nice. Martial arts have been improved, they're no longer a pseudo-item, and they work extremely well (tai-kwon-do does solid damage and is extremely resilient). Character creation has been changed greatly (Otaku now costs 4 points, for example). Libraries have more books, and more advanced books. I've seen some new bionics, though I may have just never found those in the stable release. Farming has been partially implemented. Food has been expanded with more types commonly found in houses, which helps with mood. And that's what I've seen in the last hour.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 1086