Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863664 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7800 on: October 14, 2013, 04:29:12 am »

Not sure how it's possible to die of dehydration (unless you've got something wrong with you) when pretty much every house has water and cans of cola.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: October 14, 2013, 04:42:20 am »

Not sure how it's possible to die of dehydration (unless you've got something wrong with you) when pretty much every house has water and cans of cola.

Maaaaybe if you think Vodka will hydrate you. Although that's not dehydration, that's ignorance poisoning.

By the way, I find it worrying that whoever is responsible for adding Antibiotics to the game cannot into Antibiotics. They heal infections at the cost of making you more susceptible to future infections. THAT'S NOT HOW ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE WORKS! THAT'S WRONG IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: October 14, 2013, 05:28:32 am »

THAT'S NOT HOW ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE WORKS! THAT'S WRONG IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE!
I think what it's modelling is not antibiotic resistance, but the destruction it wreaks on your internal microbiome. Using antibiotics is like throwing a bomb into a lake just to kill one pike: the lake's ecology of algae and minnows and trout are going to be disrupted.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: October 14, 2013, 05:31:52 am »

Quote from: Iceblaster
Vehicles

Good to know! Thought they were having problems with vehicles crashing the game yesterday.

I might need to DL the newest experimental build anyway.

Might hold off until the crash is fixed.

Glad my advice has helped, though I can say it probably will still have the annoying being stopped by shrubs.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: October 14, 2013, 05:56:39 am »

By the way, I find it worrying that whoever is responsible for adding Antibiotics to the game cannot into Antibiotics. They heal infections at the cost of making you more susceptible to future infections. THAT'S NOT HOW ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE WORKS! THAT'S WRONG IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE!
Ignore that. It's an old bit of description that never got cleaned up. IIRC I've cleaned it up in my Fungal Rework PR.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: October 14, 2013, 06:58:54 am »

Ignore that. It's an old bit of description that never got cleaned up. IIRC I've cleaned it up in my Fungal Rework PR.

Phew.

Also, since I already started being anal about science, Smoke: since by now you noticed that when you breathe out, you don't exhale smoke, you don't even have to know chemistry to realize that Carbon Dioxide is not visible. Or toxic, in fact. Then what is in smoke?

Mostly stuff that did NOT burn completely. Certain chemical structures require much more oxygen than they should given their mass, so when they burn, they don't burn down to just CO2 and water. From the most basic, Benzene ring structure is a notable example. When you set them on fire, you get a shitload of smoke.

You know what else has Benzene rings in it? Paint (some kinds, although those kinds are notable for having Benzene ring in each monomere) and epoxydes (all of 'em). That's what makes a house on fire give off a lot of smoke (also, plastics).

You know what doesn't have a lot of those? Most of the stuff you will use as fuel for campfires. Coal, wood. Sure, coal contains impurities and wood contains some natural polymers that don't burn nicely, so you will get some smoke, but if you use a normal, open air campfire, the amount of smoke you will get from either of those will not rise above the 'oh shit my eyes are tingling' level.

If you put a rollmat next to a campfire, your main concern should be the mat catching on fire, not carbon monoxide poisoning.

(Sorry, I know I keep going about that, but it bugs me to no end).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: October 14, 2013, 07:37:02 am »

Smoke in general needs a LOT of changes.  The fact that you can light a single rag on fire and suffer enough smoke inhalation to KILL YOU then yes, something is wrong...

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #7807 on: October 14, 2013, 07:52:23 am »

What the fuck? I light A fire underground in A cathedral then ten minutes later the WALLS try to kill me, by collapsing, and then I run out, the next ten minutes later, I come back in and  I am immediately burned to death, what the hell?
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: October 14, 2013, 08:07:53 am »

What the fuck? I light A fire underground in A cathedral then ten minutes later the WALLS try to kill me, by collapsing, and then I run out, the next ten minutes later, I come back in and  I am immediately burned to death, what the hell?
Why did you re-enter a collapsing/burning area?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: October 14, 2013, 08:25:55 am »

Quote from: Iceblaster
Vehicles

Good to know! Thought they were having problems with vehicles crashing the game yesterday.
[...]
Glad my advice has helped, though I can say it probably will still have the annoying being stopped by shrubs.
Woah, yes. Glad to know they're back to working again.
Or I would've linked back to this to start a query again...
Future note: Swamps are weird. EVERYTHING is jumping out of that 1 tile deep water area.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: October 14, 2013, 08:26:09 am »

I still can't survive... This time I made a woodsman character who went out into the woods and built himself a bow and everything... Still got mauled by electric zombies and hulks as soon as I entered the town to grab some supplies... Ugh...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #7811 on: October 14, 2013, 08:36:13 am »

I thought it stopped burining :P

Also no progress lsot, first day'er.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: October 14, 2013, 10:17:13 am »

When you travel a certain distance (or a z-level) from a fire, it stops being calculated and hangs suspended in time. Once you go back, it's unpause on the inferno.
This ^

Also burning buildings take ages to burn even if you are in the area.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7813 on: October 14, 2013, 10:21:31 am »

When you travel a certain distance (or a z-level) from a fire, it stops being calculated and hangs suspended in time. Once you go back, it's unpause on the inferno.
This ^

Also burning buildings take ages to burn even if you are in the area.
Unless it's your base which has been struck by lightning, in which case all of your stored equipment and supplies will go up in flames before you can grab any of it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: October 14, 2013, 10:25:21 am »

fire and burning should take moisture into account, if it rained recently (and not just raining currently), burning should be harder. If it has not rained in a while, then burning should be easier. we could incorporate climates such as draught and this would allow you to start forest fires that could rage out of control.

i have not had issues with smoke inhalation since the .6 release. even if i dont wear a filter mask, its not really that bad. this needs tinkering, but its not as catastrophic as it used to be.
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 1086