Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863732 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7785 on: October 13, 2013, 05:12:59 pm »

Okay, I had no luck with google and the in-game controls explanation is useless what key commands must I enter to cauterize a wound nothing I have tried has worked, and my char is 20 hours from death.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7786 on: October 13, 2013, 05:14:12 pm »

Okay, I had no luck with google and the in-game controls explanation is useless what key commands must I enter to cauterize a wound nothing I have tried has worked, and my char is 20 hours from death.
'a'ctivate the knife
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7787 on: October 13, 2013, 05:16:18 pm »

I have used activate, with the knife in my inventory and in my hands, the option to cauterize does not appear period. I am standing one tile from a fire, I have a soldering iron no command I enter gives me the option to cauterize.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7788 on: October 13, 2013, 05:17:07 pm »

Do you have matches or a lighter?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7789 on: October 13, 2013, 05:17:49 pm »

On hand and on the ground nearby.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7790 on: October 13, 2013, 05:18:20 pm »

Edit: and of course, having said that the RNG hands me two morningstars in the first pawn shop I raid. I was just looking for pants!
My martial arts runs always begin with finding a zweihander, it seems...  I've just gotten into regular melee, and of course they never spawn.

For being entirely RNG, things do seem awfully skewed sometimes...
This is because the RNG is secretly intelligent and hates humans inferior meatbag lifeforms.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 05:21:24 pm by Steelmagic »
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7791 on: October 13, 2013, 05:32:52 pm »

I have used activate, with the knife in my inventory and in my hands, the option to cauterize does not appear period. I am standing one tile from a fire, I have a soldering iron no command I enter gives me the option to cauterize.
1) Is it still a bite wound? Cauterization only helps against bite wounds, not against infected ones.
2) Is it the stable or experimental? In the experimental you might want to reconsider cauterization, it's no longer a sure fire bite fix and may actually make the problem a fair bit worse.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7792 on: October 13, 2013, 05:35:12 pm »

Yay, another worthwhile character done for.  Really frustrating that every single character dies to something stupid no matter what I do.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7793 on: October 13, 2013, 05:41:24 pm »

Relax, you still have time. Find some antibiotics. You can find them in pharmacies, houses, pawn shops... all sorts of places. Heck, I find more antibiotics than I do disinfectant, it's actually kind of annoying. Worst case, debug some in. This is a single player game, cheating is in the eye of the beholder.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7794 on: October 13, 2013, 06:31:04 pm »

Went out for antibiotics, searched methodically, every house.  Died of dehydration, while drinking clean water, within two hours game time.  I have a headache now.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #7795 on: October 14, 2013, 01:23:21 am »

I don't think I've ever gotten to the point where I'd have died from dehydration in Cataclysm. Generally, your list of priorities should go something like water, medicine, clothing I feel. Food is great, but I do believe it is possible to go for a while without eating anything. I think it's also possible to get yourself into a situation where you no longer feel so tired after staying up long enough, at least from what Janet told me.

But yeah, early game is pretty much a race to key resources. Some water, a blanket, some food, tools to board up your shelter. There's some other stuff too, since a dust mast can help if there are smoker zombies around, etc.

But yeah, the game does I think, with the base character creation prices, give you a hard time when it comes to making an average Joe. So maybe bump your starting points up a bit?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7796 on: October 14, 2013, 01:29:09 am »

But yeah, the game does I think, with the base character creation prices, give you a hard time when it comes to making an average Joe. So maybe bump your starting points up a bit?
Buy some skills with your starting points. People always say to get stats, and stats are great for long term potential, but that potential is wasted if your character can't survive to live that long. Chipping in a few points to get yourself some start skills and maybe a profession can make surviving right at the beginning much easier, and then as you become more experienced at the game you can slowly transition over to more permanent things.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7797 on: October 14, 2013, 02:52:25 am »

I've only been saying this for months.  It's already weird enough that booze is explosive, why do we need to jump through the hoop of having a spare bottle?
It's not intended, it's just that no one has gotten around to fixing it. It used to work. I think the problem was a change in how containers functioned...
Glyph— Isn't it is just a matter of changing the recipes json?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7798 on: October 14, 2013, 03:17:12 am »

While I didn't get around to talking about it while it was still on the last page, the whole question about cars being useable again, I can safely say that in my experience, yes they are useable again, it seems that shrubs aren't the kill all, and while you do get stopped at lowers speeds, you can crush them at lower speeds than last time while only losing maybe one or two headlights after prolonged smashing.

From the experimental version from the twelfth

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7799 on: October 14, 2013, 04:14:56 am »

Went out for antibiotics, searched methodically, every house.  Died of dehydration, while drinking clean water, within two hours game time.  I have a headache now.
Pretty much what everyone else said: modify yer game till you start having fun. Or at least don't have a headache.

Cheatengine &/or the debug menu are wonderful tools if 25pts aren't enough.
(Btw you saw that option in settings right?)

Quote from: Iceblaster
Vehicles

Good to know! Thought they were having problems with vehicles crashing the game yesterday.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 1086