Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863810 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7635 on: October 11, 2013, 08:19:57 am »

Cos it can take a full day to get a skill increase from reading a high level book. I REALLY need to remember to take the Fast Reader trait every time I play.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7636 on: October 11, 2013, 08:31:39 am »

Yeah well, at this point I don't have the materials or skills yet. Plus I need some way of increasing my intelligence of 10.

Cocaine. It's a helluva drug. 28 Int is very nice.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7637 on: October 11, 2013, 08:49:36 am »

I'll stay with ciggies and Adderall.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7638 on: October 11, 2013, 09:06:26 am »

Found a "Historic Armorsmith" book.  Libraries seem to have been buffed.  It's time to become the Armor Goddess I was meant to be.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7639 on: October 11, 2013, 09:42:18 am »

Thanks guys, for answering all my little questions. I'm really enjoying the game!  :D

How can I tell how much liquid is in a container?

Edit: Also, is there a faster way to look around than pressing X and moving the cursor around?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:46:32 am by guitarxe »
Feeling down? Click Here!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7640 on: October 11, 2013, 09:48:42 am »

The name will have parentheses with a number representing portions. A "plastic bottle of water (2)" has two drinks of water in it. All liquids work that way.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7641 on: October 11, 2013, 09:52:03 am »

Edit: Also, is there a faster way to look around than pressing X and moving the cursor around?
If looking for items, try capital V.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7642 on: October 11, 2013, 09:52:23 am »

Oh, yeah, I see it, thanks!

Also I think I found a bug? I can't move a shopping cart through an open wooden gate tile. It says the cart collides with something.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7643 on: October 11, 2013, 09:52:51 am »

How tricky would it be to add refrigerators, which prevent all rotting, as put in houses that actually still work, or as mounted on vehicles with a much smaller holding volume.
"prevent all rotting" would be easy but totally unrealistic.
"greatly slows rotting" is much more complicated, and is being worked on, along with having ambient temperature influence rotting speed.  e.g. eventually you might be able to clear out an ice lab and use it as a giant freezer, along with supplies in the ice lab potentially staying fresh for significant amounts of time (woo reason to take on ice labs).

The linked doors are cool*, they have a "linked doors" flag, such that opening or closing one opens/closes all adjacent ones, recursively.  The VW bus amuses me greatly, as there's a big fan of them in my neighborhood, he has *five* of them.

Libraries got a HUGE buff, I think it was something like 30 new books.

Ninjaquestion'ed: I'm not sure what you mean by "how much liquid", do you mean a measure like mL?  I'm not actually sure we have a decent way to tell that, different liquids have a different volume/"charge", which is very confusing.  I'd like to rework everything such that volume is standardised, and different things consume a different volume instead of standardising charges and varying volume.
There are several options for looking around depending on what you're trying to do.
If you're scanning for items, there's a menu brought up by 'v' that displays all nearby and visible items.
If you want to keep an eye on a particular direction, you can use HJKL (caps) to persistently shift your view around, the concept of where your screen is centered is separate fom what your character can see.
If you want to look at monster or terrain details, x is your best option.

Hrm... v menu should be able to list monsters too...

*You can assume if I praise a feature instead of just describing it, I didn't write it ;)
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7644 on: October 11, 2013, 09:53:23 am »

Actually, looking for sounds and monsters. Playing at work I keep the window small at 12x12, so even though the character can see/hear a bigger distance than that, myself I only see a small portion.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7645 on: October 11, 2013, 09:55:13 am »

Actually, looking for sounds and monsters. Playing at work I keep the window small at 12x12, so even though the character can see/hear a bigger distance than that, myself I only see a small portion.
In that case, the key you're looking for is "S".  As in "Save and quit so you can actually do work at work and not get fired" :v

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7646 on: October 11, 2013, 10:05:15 am »

Bah, silly Raporinhat!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7647 on: October 11, 2013, 10:11:11 am »

So after finding a steel jerrycan and filling it up with gas...

Is it possible to trail gasoline for a classic movie like fire trail.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7648 on: October 11, 2013, 10:13:50 am »

Found a "Historic Armorsmith" book.  Libraries seem to have been buffed.  It's time to become the Armor Goddess I was meant to be.
Nevermind, hulk out of nowhere.  And 6 locations not spawning hacksaws didn't help either...

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7649 on: October 11, 2013, 10:31:06 am »

Ouch. Hulks in early game are rough, the only way I've found to take them out is to tank one inside an intense fire (like a molotov) with a high caliber gun. At point blank accuracy doesn't matter as much, and the speed really helps.

Edit: Question about the air filter CBM. What's it good for? I've used it against smokers, and it doesn't help at all. How good of a filter is it really?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 12:01:39 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 1086