Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1829170 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7215 on: October 02, 2013, 01:09:26 pm »

Yeaah, whether it was the alcohol or her SEVERE BURNS that caused the shock or most severe pain is up for debate.

Burns cause shock- your body loses a lot of fluid when you have severe burns, and your immune system does summersaults.

Pain doesn't cause shock- directly. If the kid freaked out and stopped breathing, stimulated the vagus nerve, that kind of thing, she could experience a form of shock, but it would have to be continuous.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:11:05 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: October 02, 2013, 01:19:29 pm »

Found a somewhat scientific examination of the subject. Pretty interesting, although it also shows that whether or not alcohol would work against bites kind of depends on the type of infection the bites are supposed to be giving.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: October 02, 2013, 01:23:52 pm »

<evil>Mental note, chance of uncontrollable screaming above a certain pain threshold :D</evil>
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: October 02, 2013, 01:26:04 pm »

<evil>Mental note, chance of uncontrollable screaming above a certain pain threshold :D</evil>

suddenly removing your vocal chords becomes a welcoming survival prospect

BRING IT ON

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: October 02, 2013, 01:34:50 pm »

Yeaah, whether it was the alcohol or her SEVERE BURNS that caused the shock or most severe pain is up for debate.

Burns cause shock- your body loses a lot of fluid when you have severe burns, and your immune system does summersaults.

Pain doesn't cause shock- directly. If the kid freaked out and stopped breathing, stimulated the vagus nerve, that kind of thing, she could experience a form of shock, but it would have to be continuous.

She was stable until she was soaked in booze. And again, this was an MD working in emergency medical services for a while (I dunno if it's standard kinda thing in US too, over here maaaaany doctors used to moonlight as paramedics for extra money some), and he dealt with such situations before AFAIK.

But the point is, alcohol + wound = THE PAAAAIN. You know the expression 'rub salt into wound'? I had that happen to me as well and it wasn't as bad as that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:41:17 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: October 02, 2013, 01:36:53 pm »

While that is evil, it's also reasonable. Screaming in pain tends to be involuntary, and could obviously attract even more zombies to you.

Would also make a pain-tolerant trait even more useful, since you'd be less likely to make a lot of noise when in pain.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: October 02, 2013, 01:47:42 pm »

Belt <Equipped on Mouth>

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7222 on: October 02, 2013, 01:51:28 pm »

Ahem:
She couldn't have been 'stable' until the booze-soaking because if you're an EMT, home remedies stop the moment you enter the door. He wouldn't have walked in, pronounced "She's stable!", and then let grandma empty her vodka on the girl. At that point you're responsible, and vodka baths aren't exactly protocol.

Shock can happen pretty much at any time after an injury. In fact, unless the wound is particularly traumatic, it almost always takes some time to develop- it's a condition whose primary determinant is low blood pressure. You have low blood pressure, your organs don't get the blood they need. Presto-chango organ failure.

In the case of burns, you're continually losing fluid to the wound- your cells become more porous, and the serum 'sweats' out. Burn victims go through a lot of fluid while they're healing.
Burns also have the issue of causing a histamine response, which drops blood pressure further as vasodilation starts going.
And, to make matters worse, this doesn't exactly do wonders for the heart- if the heart screws up & doesn't pump, blood pressure goes down and blood flow stops.

I'm surprised it even became an issue with water scalding, but kids are weird.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Belt <Equipped on Mouth>
I am okay with this line of features.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: October 02, 2013, 01:54:13 pm »

Ahem:
She couldn't have been 'stable' until the booze-soaking because if you're an EMT, home remedies stop the moment you enter the door. He wouldn't have walked in, pronounced "She's stable!", and then let grandma empty her vodka on the girl. At that point you're responsible, and vodka baths aren't exactly protocol.
You misread it.  The girl was scalded.  Grandma put vodka to disinfect.  THEN she went into shock, and THEN she called 911.  Or, she called 911 and applied vodka before the EMTs arrived.  In any case, EMT arrived after the vodka had occurred.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: October 02, 2013, 01:56:13 pm »

I just died after running around in the middle of the night looking for food with only : torso health left. I even found some pickled vegetables, but they weren't enough. I got caught between the fires from my flamethrower in the road and the exploding gun store that I also happened to have burned down.

EDIT:
Ahem:
You misread it.  The girl was scalded.  Grandma put vodka to disinfect.  THEN she went into shock, and THEN she called 911.  Or, she called 911 and applied vodka before the EMTs arrived.  In any case, EMT arrived after the vodka had occurred.
Point is that there would be no way to know whether or not the girl was stable before the vodka was applied, because there were no medical professionals there.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:58:03 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: October 02, 2013, 01:59:39 pm »

I just died after running around in the middle of the night looking for food with only : torso health left. I even found some pickled vegetables, but they weren't enough. I got caught between the fires from my flamethrower in the road and the exploding gun store that I also happened to have burned down.
"Are you on some kind of rampage?"
"<leonidas>THIS, IS, SHOPPING!</leonidas>"
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7226 on: October 02, 2013, 02:17:18 pm »

Point is that there would be no way to know whether or not the girl was stable before the vodka was applied, because there were no medical professionals there.

Exactly.

Why did you blow up a gunstore?! All that precious gunpowder, primers, lead!

-EDIT
But the point is, alcohol + wound = THE PAAAAIN. You know the expression 'rub salt into wound'? I had that happen to me as well and it wasn't as bad as that.
I agree that if alcohol is added as a makeshift disinfectant, severe pain should be part of the process.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:34:25 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: October 02, 2013, 02:40:40 pm »

Plus guns to throw at the creeps.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: October 02, 2013, 02:54:24 pm »

Why did you blow up a gunstore?! All that precious gunpowder, primers, lead!
It was in the dark and a zombie appeared right in front of my face. I panicked okay? I accidentally ended up setting it on fire. Then it started exploding so I got out of there.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7229 on: October 02, 2013, 03:06:53 pm »

>blew up gunstore
>died
>Instant karma
Badges of honor
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 1086