Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1829182 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7200 on: October 02, 2013, 11:22:44 am »

Wouldn't hard alcohol like Vodka be a somewhat useful disinfectant? Not ideal, but better than nothing.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: October 02, 2013, 11:31:38 am »

Should work pretty well actually, with less pain than a cauterization.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7202 on: October 02, 2013, 11:47:16 am »

Well I did say 'sterile', but I suppose just 'clean' would suffice.

Electrocauterizers are only used in places where sutures wouldn't- in particular, trying to suture something like a pierced liver would only lead to more bleeding, and there's a certain artery up inside of one's nose that's notorious for causing frequent, nasty nose bleeds that they tackle with a cauterizer.

Yes, alcohol is much better for general 'disinfecting' than cauterizing- which just makes you more prone to infection. Cauterizing is used for bleeding, (that which cannot be staunched by pressure), or in the case of an already present infection:

You'd have to cut away the dead/infected area. Not just the dead stuff, but a little bit around it as well. This hurts a little, and you use cautery to stop the bleeding afterwards. After that you endeavor to keep the raw (seared) flesh clean & clear. Doesn't always work either.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: October 02, 2013, 11:49:49 am »

Maybe have a way to use alcohol as a disinfectant for those who don't have it :P

In all seriousness though, cauterization has never been used by me so I've never worried about it in the game.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: October 02, 2013, 11:53:44 am »

Cauterizing actually increase the chances of infections. It dies help with bleeding though.
Pretty much this. The fact that it can cure an infection at all is just as a compromise between the old "instantly cures all bite wounds" and the reality of "doesn't help against infections at all".
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: October 02, 2013, 11:55:55 am »

I've used cauterization a lot, mostly early on before I've found much in the way of proper medical supplies.

Hmm...this reminds me that I should have my current character scout out a bunch of the evac shelters nearby and stock them up a bit. Make things easier on me in case he dies before the next version comes out. I found a road map, so I know where quite a few of them are.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: October 02, 2013, 11:57:36 am »

Just a small trivial question: Anyone know why GlyphGryph's account here is inactive?

He on some binge coding spree or something :P

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7207 on: October 02, 2013, 11:59:20 am »

Just a small trivial question: Anyone know why GlyphGryph's account here is inactive?

He on some binge coding spree or something :P

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=3501.0
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: October 02, 2013, 12:04:46 pm »

Ah.

Working on the game and such.

Will have to follow their forums more.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: October 02, 2013, 12:05:34 pm »

Should work pretty well actually, with less pain than a cauterization.

No. Just... no. I know an MD who arrived with EMTs to a little girl who poured either very hot water or coffee, can't remember right now, and ended up having to save her from shock after her grandmother tried to disinfect the wound with vodka.

Besides, I've cauterized ulcers with alcohol before and it hurts comparably to burning, seriously.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7210 on: October 02, 2013, 12:19:48 pm »

Vodka wouldn't have caused the shock unless it was boiling too. That sounds unrelated.
Badges of honor

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: October 02, 2013, 12:25:31 pm »

Vodka wouldn't have caused the shock unless it was boiling too. That sounds unrelated.

Vodka on wound -> pain -> shock.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: October 02, 2013, 12:35:40 pm »

I would suggest an adult could better cope with the pain then a young girl. I do think alcohol could be used for disinfectant, not that effective since things like Vodka have extra things added for flavour and so forth.

Kind of related:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: October 02, 2013, 12:55:15 pm »

Does it hurt that much? I've used rubbing alcohol a couple time for scratches and stuff (never hurt myslef seriously), and while it burns a bit, it seems waaaaay better than grabbing a knife and my lighter and burn the whole place.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: October 02, 2013, 12:56:04 pm »

Vodka on wound -> pain -> shock.

I'm sure it hurts like hell, but it's better than dying of an infected zombie bite.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 1086