Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1828143 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7170 on: October 01, 2013, 05:57:41 pm »

Okay. What about a pointy stick versus a crowbar?

I think crowbar is slightly better, at least against zombies. Pointy stick is better against living animals, maybe?

Normally I start off with a crowbar and make a few pointy sticks to throw at things, unless I'm going martial arts in which case I use that style instead of the crowbar. I still throw stuff, though, unless I'm going for an archer character.

You can make a self bow and ammo out of stuff in the evac shelter if you have a little bit of archery & fabrication skill, so it's a decent starting set to go with. Throwing works pretty well too, and doesn't require any specific skills to start using since rocks and pointy sticks are easy to get.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: October 01, 2013, 06:26:08 pm »

I just need a rubber hose so that I can siphon off fuel for my spraycan flamethrower.
The hotel is burning to the ground along with all the undead in it. Which admittedly isn't very many anymore.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: October 01, 2013, 06:28:16 pm »

Go to a house, smash or disassemble the fridge.

Fire is the all-powerful conqueror in Cataclysm yeah.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: October 01, 2013, 06:30:01 pm »

Go to a house, smash or disassemble the fridge.

Fire is the all-powerful conqueror in Cataclysm yeah.
Fire is probably the single largest technological leap humans have made since verbal and written language. It facilitates basically everything that we do .
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: October 01, 2013, 08:32:21 pm »

*sigh* I was doing well, slowly clearing out the zombies from an isolated section of the town. Then I ran into a hulk.

Wish I hadn't botched that molotov, might have managed it if I torched the room and barricaded the door from the other side.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: October 01, 2013, 09:36:26 pm »

Wow, I really just lucked out. Found a fully functioning electric car not far from my safehouse. I'd been looking for decent wheels to put on a bike I'd found that was in otherwise good condition, but this works even better. A lot of it is banged up, but the important bits are all there and working!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: October 01, 2013, 09:51:37 pm »

Was doing well aaaaaaaand... another hulk. This time I succeeded in killing it, but bled to death from wounds from the other zombies. On the bright side... the molotov worked really well. Too well, think if blood loss hadn't gotten me smoke inhalation would have. Oh well. Turned out to be all for the best, my next spawn was right next to a bunch of military corpses. Now I'm running around with two backpacks, some MRE's, some codeine, and a truly impressive amount of storage space.

Edit: BTW, I tried to debug-kill the hulk, it didn't work. I enabled cheats, selected it from the menu, and... nothing. Did I do something wrong?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:24:14 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7177 on: October 01, 2013, 09:59:45 pm »

Hey fellows, just looked up electromag aug, question: how does weight affect throwing? I know I couldn't throw some heavier things more than one block away, but where is the line drawn?

Was thinking one could play as thor with an elecromag unit + sledgehammer (would deal 76dmg on the fly-back)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: October 02, 2013, 12:21:06 am »

Just be careful not to activate it when there's a soldier corpse behind you with a combat knife on it. =P

"I AM THOR! COME MJOLL-URK"

......... Are landmines magnetic?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: October 02, 2013, 12:48:17 am »

Are landmines magnetic?
You ask that like it's a bad thing.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7180 on: October 02, 2013, 02:19:58 am »

Was doing well aaaaaaaand... another hulk. This time I succeeded in killing it, but bled to death from wounds from the other zombies. On the bright side... the molotov worked really well. Too well, think if blood loss hadn't gotten me smoke inhalation would have. Oh well. Turned out to be all for the best, my next spawn was right next to a bunch of military corpses. Now I'm running around with two backpacks, some MRE's, some codeine, and a truly impressive amount of storage space.

Edit: BTW, I tried to debug-kill the hulk, it didn't work. I enabled cheats, selected it from the menu, and... nothing. Did I do something wrong?

Not sure if you know about it or not, but you can (a)ctivate your pocketknife to cauterize bleeding (also deep bites), it causes a pretty huge amount of pain but it's better then bleeding to death.

I'm actually kind of curious why they added deep bites when they made them so easy to cure.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: October 02, 2013, 02:24:10 am »

Cauterizing would also require a heat plate (or fiery equivalent) yes? I usually use disinfectant to clean the wound before it gets too bad, if I find any that is.

In my mind, a zombie virus would lay dormant in a person until they die, then they would reanimate not convert them from living into a zombie. Though, how it is in cataclysm might be referenced in research documents somewhere.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: October 02, 2013, 02:31:05 am »

it might require matches or a lighter or something, I usually carry around a ton so I've never noticed if it uses a charge or not. It does not require a hotplate or anything like that.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: October 02, 2013, 02:33:36 am »

A heads up, but bite wounds and infections are handled completely differently in the experimental than in .8. Bites are tracked on an individual limb basis, and while they are no longer guaranteed death sentences if left untreated (IIRC survival rate is somewhere in the 50% range, modified by your health stat) they are just as debilitating (more so because you can have multiple ones active at the same time) and the recovery process from infection is not a short one. Also cauterizing has been moved to a bit of a gamble, it might remove the bite wound, but it might also make it much worse (like it can in real life).

In my mind, a zombie virus would lay dormant in a person until they die, then they would reanimate not convert them from living into a zombie. Though, how it is in cataclysm might be referenced in research documents somewhere.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The infection you get from bite wounds isn't the zombie virus, it's just a plain old bacterial infection.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: October 02, 2013, 02:43:35 am »

Ooooh, ok. A wrong assumption then. Guess a zombie would have pretty bad teeth if they've been chowing down on grey matter. I'll need to equip a character with toothbrushes and Listerine to combat this new threat. Cursed apocalypse!
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 1086