Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1827249 times)

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7035 on: September 30, 2013, 12:10:50 am »

What settings are you playing o? I play on halved spawn factor and random NPCS, makes the game a bit more balanced, yet with a chance of getting looted, wich can only be prevented with traps.
City size, anyone?
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7036 on: September 30, 2013, 12:12:27 am »

Npcs loot your shit?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7037 on: September 30, 2013, 12:48:30 am »

Some do!
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7038 on: September 30, 2013, 01:22:17 am »

What does "rapid attack" on the spear and javelin mean? the moves per attack don't seem to be specially low or anything.

Also is turning skill rust off retroactive? because it's pretty goddamn absurd that I lost a skill level in fabrication 3 times while reading a fabrication book to learn new recipes.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: September 30, 2013, 01:31:47 am »

What does "rapid attack" on the spear and javelin mean? the moves per attack don't seem to be specially low or anything.

Also is turning skill rust off retroactive? because it's pretty goddamn absurd that I lost a skill level in fabrication 3 times while reading a fabrication book to learn new recipes.
I believe rapid attack is a special attack that costs less time then normal but I'm not sure (the experimental martial arts/special attacks is undergoing a bit of a rework right now).

And no, skill rust option changes aren't retroactive but they do take effect immediately when changed.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7040 on: September 30, 2013, 01:50:03 am »

Well that's what I meant, do they work on current saves or do you need to start over. If it just stops rust on existing saves that's fine.

I had the book still so I just read it over again to get the skill back... I just didn't want to have to start over because I didn't realize how unbelievably fast rust happened.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7041 on: September 30, 2013, 01:52:20 am »

I had the book still so I just read it over again to get the skill back... I just didn't want to have to start over because I didn't realize how unbelievably fast rust happened.
Yeah, we've had the outlines of the system we want to set up in place for a while (one that will be much better balanced then the current monstrosity!) but we've just had so much to do that nobody has gotten around to rewriting the current system yet. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7042 on: September 30, 2013, 02:49:54 am »

And ow will it work?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7043 on: September 30, 2013, 03:02:59 am »

Rapid attack means that after the first attack each successive attack is faster. Basically once you start jabbing a person you can just keep poking them. I don't remember if the attack gets faster each attack by a certain amount to a minimum or if the following attacks are all just quicker by a set amount.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7044 on: September 30, 2013, 05:30:53 am »

What the dick game. I walk outside with some minor crack cravings bringing my speed down to 83ish and get blindsided by a moose. Fine, I'm right next to a bush, and get into a duel with the moose with my pocket knife, take a chunk of damage but I can deal. My speeds pretty low, but I block the moose like a boss. Then a zombie dog walks up when the moose is nearly dead and I'm pretty damaged, I think damn it, and pull back a few steps and move to get into a better position.

Then two wolves come in from my right and left. At this point I'm just screaming gaaaaaaammeeeeeeee inside my brain.
As amusing as this is, it was random. But how fun would a roguelike be if you knew there was a guy on the other end just sitting there waiting to screw you over?

Like they had a certain number of spawn points they could use to bring monsters in, and they could wait until the worst possible moment to do so.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7045 on: September 30, 2013, 07:28:15 am »

I find it amusing that you can be a male bride. Or a female groom.

Where can you find duck tape? I just found a spray can and a several lighters in house on the outskirts of town.
ermahgerd you said duck tape

...But yeah. Hardware stores are where I usually satisfy my hunger for duct tape. Which is very large.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7046 on: September 30, 2013, 09:42:13 am »

I find it amusing that you can be a male bride. Or a female groom.

Where can you find duck tape? I just found a spray can and a several lighters in house on the outskirts of town.
ermahgerd you said duck tape

...But yeah. Hardware stores are where I usually satisfy my hunger for duct tape. Which is very large.

Duck tape is the original name. It was first used by the construction industry and military as a waterproof tape to seal wires, crates, and other non-waterproof materials against moisture. It was made of cotton duck, and repelled water like a duck's back, thus the name "duck tape". The name was later changed by convention to duct tape because it was also fairly airtight, making it a great material for fixing light damage to duct work, and also because the term "duck tape" made very little sense to people using it for household repairs instead of waterproofing.

I found a lot of duck tape from just looting houses. Unfortunately, the only hardware in my starting town is on the opposite side, so I still have a few city blocks to clear before I can get to it. No need to rush, pushing forward without having a safe fallback path is inviting disaster.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7047 on: September 30, 2013, 09:44:34 am »

I love random generation characters. It just generated a mascochistic illiterate with a bad back who likes crossdressing.

And I'm doing really well. I have found a machete and a wood axe. I have also done my first successful town raid. Towns are a nightmare in Static Spawn mode...

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7048 on: September 30, 2013, 10:24:32 am »

Raided my first garage. Found an anvil, a welder to replace my inefficient makeshift one, and a host of other useful tools. I also discovered metal arrows and how absurdly heavy those things are. Going from wooden arrows with negligible weight to metal ones that are taking up all my carrying capacity was unsettling. Amazing damage though, picked off a brute cleanly with two shots from a longbow.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7049 on: September 30, 2013, 10:59:45 am »

Raided my first garage. Found an anvil, a welder to replace my inefficient makeshift one, and a host of other useful tools. I also discovered metal arrows and how absurdly heavy those things are. Going from wooden arrows with negligible weight to metal ones that are taking up all my carrying capacity was unsettling. Amazing damage though, picked off a brute cleanly with two shots from a longbow.

Metal arrows not worth it- heavy wooden's where it's at. Must have an 80% survive chance, nearly as good as metal arrows and only about twice the weight of wooden. Oh, and they're accurate as hell. I still keep a stack of wooden for spitters & the like, but yep.

Wait till you see the explosive arrows. Figured I'd keep ~3 on my person & emulate green arrow...but when I made them I found they weigh 9lbs a pop. O_O
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 1086