Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1829163 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6960 on: September 29, 2013, 11:17:32 am »

I'll just leave this here..
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=212.msg49581#msg49581

If you don't need your sleeping compartment separate from your pilot's seat, you could either increase the storage or make the car shorter.

If you don't want a sealed-in compartment & can make due with a tent, well, you could go with something even smaller.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6961 on: September 29, 2013, 11:18:44 am »

Vehicle related question: How much storage do Trunks actually have?  Because I've loaded engines, lumber, and whole Labs' worth of bionic kits into single trunk spaces before without a problem.  Has any kind of limit been imposed on them?  Not to mention that cargo weight doesn't seem to have any effect on performance.  I'm sure these are current implementation shortcomings and not deliberate decisions.

Why not insert 'Bulldozer' frames? You have bulldozer frames on the front of the vehicle -end of bush problems- Bulldozer frames automatically remove bushes from in front of them and debris that might block your path, shifting them aside.
Problem solved -and realistic too.

Well, in terms of getting bushes out of your way, an aptly named Bushbar or a Skidplate would be just fine.  For that matter, the existing Blades should do about the same job.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6962 on: September 29, 2013, 11:23:28 am »

While I don't have a screenshot handy I once had a mobile base trike.  3 tiles wide.  Had an enclosed drivers cabin safe from wildlife, 2 boxes, 1 trunk, and a kitchen unit and 2 solar panels.  The only things it didn't have was a welding rig and a bed.  But I never had trouble sleeping in the seat.

Code: (General design) [Select]
.^.   <Spiked plating front wheel protector
-0-  <Front Wheel + blades on the sides
"""    <Front Windowshields + engine+headlights
+#+  <Driver/sleeping compartment + gas tank (has a roof)
|+|   <Boards and back door + battery + water tank
#&#  <Solar Panels+ Kitchen unit
oHo   <Rear wheels+2 boxes + 1 trunk

It could weave through city wrecks easily, and if I can drive an unmodified car through fields without much trouble that could have done it too.

Still I'm for the bulldozer part, make damage hitting that part not propagate to the rest of the car.  If somebody wants to make a vehicle made for ramming I don't see why not.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:29:34 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6963 on: September 29, 2013, 11:24:28 am »

Vehicle related question: How much storage do Trunks actually have?  Because I've loaded engines, lumber, and whole Labs' worth of bionic kits into single trunk spaces before without a problem.  Has any kind of limit been imposed on them?  Not to mention that cargo weight doesn't seem to have any effect on performance.  I'm sure these are current implementation shortcomings and not deliberate decisions.

They're listed as having 400 'Capacity'. Gimme a few minutes and I'll quickly fill one up and check if it's volume or weight that counts as capacity.

Weight is added to vehicle weight, so if you're using a puny engine and load up another 2 tons into the bed, you'll have a performance hit.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6964 on: September 29, 2013, 11:26:46 am »

Something interesting has been happening in my game.
The house to the south of me is being constantly torn up by zombies. Not even because of me, just doing their own thing. I'm thinking thate that they're running to the source of the smashing noise, and smash through a window or door to do so, drawing more.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6965 on: September 29, 2013, 11:29:38 am »

Define 'small size'

I was thinking something small enough to easily navigate all city roads. You can't really have enough storage area to keep much loot in and still have that ease of travel.

Consequently... I just realized I've been venting RL stress into this argument, so I'm sorry if I came off as confrontational. I do think large vehicles are pointlessly frustrating and that detracts from gameplay, but if they stay as they are I can just play something else or go read a book. So... Yeah again, sorry if I sounded like an ass.

Hey guys, I just drove by a military outpost (accidentally), and kinda got shot at a little. Next time I stopped I noticed my water storage had gone from 20%+ to 8%. Now I don't think it was hit, (and it was still pristine), but I can't think of anything else that could have consumed that much water..

Do you only have the one tank? Have you had any other collisions, even minor ones? I've noticed some odd stuff from buggy collisions, like backing into a car at -9 bugging out and throwing the other car a screen and a half away, through a building. Sometimes weird stuff just happens.

For people who want a completely equipped and fancy base that can (slowly and carefully) be moved to a new, better location when a given area is depleted?

It's less inconvenient than packing up an entire stationary base worth of belongings and hauling it a bit at a time to a new base somewhere else which then needs to be re-organized and re-fortified.

See, there's only so much of actual value you can really get in a wide area like cities. Once you have cooking stuff, clothes, tools you've pretty much played out anywhere in any city and it becomes more time-efficient to go hunting in labs, looting military installations, and such. Here the larger vehicles lose because they have more chances to get stopped by bushes and all that.

If you're moving from house to house in the city, you can just make a small bike with 3 trunks on the back and use / to move stuff into a shopping cart and then the trunks, then reverse at the new base. Here, large vehicles STILL lose because you spend FAR more time cutting apart wrecks to clear the road than actually playing.

It's just annoyance either way that penalizes large vehicles... to penalize large vehicles. It doesn't serve a purpose other than annoyance, same as having your character randomly jerk the steering wheel in a circle just to make sure you can't get on a road and hold 5 to travel easily. It doesn't add to the game.

Vehicle related question: How much storage do Trunks actually have?

It's 400 volume, weight doesn't matter as far as I've seen.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6966 on: September 29, 2013, 11:30:19 am »

You can have a fast, compact mobile base pretty easily; at least, once you have all the parts for it.

1. Find a motorcycle.
2. Remove the the box, gas tank, and engine.
3. Install a welding rig, Water tank, Electric motor, Storage Battery, and Solar Panel.
4. Put the Kitchen and one frame in the welding rig storage, set up as needed.
5. Obtain a cot and shelter kit and set up as needed.

You can replace the saddle with a seat for additional storage, you can also place another box/trunk on the front wheel. That makes for 3 storage containers, the seat, welding rig, and box.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:35:41 am by Blaze »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6967 on: September 29, 2013, 11:45:23 am »

You can have a fast, compact mobile base pretty easily; at least, once you have all the parts for it.

1. Find a motorcycle.
2. Remove the the box, gas tank, and engine.
3. Install a welding rig, Water tank, Electric motor, Storage Battery, and Solar Panel.
4. Put the Kitchen and one frame in the welding rig storage, set up as needed.
5. Obtain a cot and shelter kit and set up as needed.

You can replace the saddle with a seat for additional storage, you can also place another box/trunk on the front wheel. That makes for 3 storage containers, the seat, welding rig, and box.
Yep.

I'm here to confirm it is indeed volume.
Badges of honor

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6968 on: September 29, 2013, 11:53:18 am »

The house to the south of me is being constantly torn up by zombies. Not even because of me, just doing their own thing. I'm thinking thate that they're running to the source of the smashing noise, and smash through a window or door to do so, drawing more.

I think the same, in my now cleared town, there are lots of house that had attracted zombies, they destroyed many things inside while i was at some distance, making lots of noise, attracting more attention too (and my own :D )

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6969 on: September 29, 2013, 12:05:39 pm »

Set in on fire. You know you want to.

Cataclysm is unleashing my inner pyromaniac for some reason.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6970 on: September 29, 2013, 12:13:39 pm »

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here and suggest that the impracticality of vehicles is working as intended. If there was an actual zombie outbreak or other world-ending-cataclysm, any major roads very likely would be clogged to uselessness. And driving offroad in vehicles not designed for it should be impractical and very hard on the vehicle (not disagreeing that bushes are broken for now though).
I would agree with you, actually.  A bicycle shouldn't be able to handle bushes.  The problem is there is no way to make a vehicle offroad.  No matter the size, shape, or composition of a vehicle, it always falls to bushes.  Weighs 6 tons with 30 inch wheels , heavy armor plating, spiked plating on the front, and 3x of V8 engines?  Still can't roll over a bush.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6971 on: September 29, 2013, 12:15:57 pm »

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here and suggest that the impracticality of vehicles is working as intended. If there was an actual zombie outbreak or other world-ending-cataclysm, any major roads very likely would be clogged to uselessness. And driving offroad in vehicles not designed for it should be impractical and very hard on the vehicle (not disagreeing that bushes are broken for now though).
I would agree with you, actually.  A bicycle shouldn't be able to handle bushes.  The problem is there is no way to make a vehicle offroad.  No matter the size, shape, or composition of a vehicle, it always falls to bushes.  Weighs 6 tons with 30 inch wheels , heavy armor plating, spiked plating on the front, and 3x of V8 engines?  Still can't roll over a bush.

And now I'm sad because having the classic RV nomadic life style is now impossible due to this. 'Oh look the road is blocked, let's take a short detou- nope bush. Damnit have to waste batteries/power to get rid of this wreckage'

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6972 on: September 29, 2013, 12:22:45 pm »

There's even all sorts of absurd options for dealing with this.  Blades on the front, bushbars, or even mounting giant crazy tree-eaters that consume TONS of electricity to run, but can chew through 7-trees and house walls.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6973 on: September 29, 2013, 12:40:45 pm »

You dont need power to tear up a vehicle, just a hacksaw and a wrench.
It takes a lot of time though, that sucks.
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6974 on: September 29, 2013, 12:45:52 pm »

And remember you need 2 in Mechanics.
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 1086