Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1866998 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6690 on: September 25, 2013, 09:17:33 am »

So I dunno if it's just the version I downloaded but has there been a massive change in armour? Before I remember that like steel toed boots and chitin boots did like 4 cut protection and 4 bash protection, now chitin boots have 30 bash protection and 40 cut.

Even generic clothes do much much much much more protection and then the specialized armour does even more. Afaik damage values haven't changed and neither has monster armour values so why a massive increase for player? It makes it hard to die because you need to get swarmed to really have a chance of getting killed but because of the massive armour you don't need to run so you can just take zombies down with ease, at least it seems that way, I haven't been noticing taking much damage and im just wearing army jacket, pants, chitin boots, filter mask, safety glasses and army helmet. I suppose I need to try getting shot by something to really see how much damage reduction there is.

I am also curious; have there been any other changes to accompany this one?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: September 25, 2013, 09:18:37 am »

Bah fine, ruining our fun.  It's functionally identical to a jackhammer.  Everything with it is just in french, and it makes a french laugh sound when used.

Sounds like there's a sword that follows the same idea.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: September 25, 2013, 09:19:59 am »

Correct French would probably be Hammer de Jaques, tough. If hammer is even a word in French.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: September 25, 2013, 09:25:13 am »

Sounds like there's a sword that follows the same idea.
The Flammenschwart (I'm not great with German, but literally 'flaming sword') is a flame upgraded Zweihander, and has a German menu.  Luckily I'd used the Firebrand enough to realize what the buttons were otherwise it'd be a pretty terrible upgrade for a weapon I didn't know how to use.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: September 25, 2013, 09:32:22 am »

Re: Door forcing training mechanics.
It trains mechanics because it is a mechanical process, if a simple one, about force and leverage and crap.
The fix is to have an outcome of forcing the door being breaking the door, needs a door tile to represent this that would close but not latch, so even the mindless creatures that can't normally bash can push through it.  Either that or just make it a tile that blocks LOS but not movement, that's a possiblity... "free-swinging door" perhaps?

I've been on a campaign against HP reportage for a while now, but there's a million places in the code where it happens, and some of them legitimately need to give you feedback beyond hit/miss, so they can't just be yanked.

I like the tileset.  Amused that you felt the need to explain the fire.  In Cataclysm, "why is there so much fire?" is not a valid question.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: September 25, 2013, 10:00:59 am »

So this may seem like a stupid question, but how do I run this in Ubuntu Linux? I have it working fine in my Windows partition, but when I download the Linux version I can't get it to work (it flat out crashes on my Linux-partitioned-Chromebook, but that's probably due to the pitiful processor). I've tried running the cataclysm-launcher, both in terminal and not, and it does nothing. I've tried running it from the command line but I can't figure out which command to use - nothing that I normally do to run programs works. I'm relatively new to Linux, so I'm probably just missing something, but I can't get it to run.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6696 on: September 25, 2013, 11:03:34 am »

Hey, what precisely is a 'light survivor suit'? The wiki page doesn't seem right- doesn't list it as having protection, nor what slots it covers. Might just have to put together the ingredients for that recipe..
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: September 25, 2013, 11:17:40 am »

if you can see it on your crafting list, hit '?' to view it.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: September 25, 2013, 11:20:42 am »

Suit that, while storage is great, has little in warmth and protection.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: September 25, 2013, 11:34:39 am »

The standard-ish way to run on linux is to navigate to the folder you extracted in a terminal emulator and run ./cataclysm or ./cataclysm-tiles (depending on which version it is).
I'm not even sure what the launcher script is for or if it works.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6700 on: September 25, 2013, 01:17:02 pm »

The standard-ish way to run on linux is to navigate to the folder you extracted in a terminal emulator and run ./cataclysm or ./cataclysm-tiles (depending on which version it is).
I'm not even sure what the launcher script is for or if it works.

I'm not sure  what the launcher script is for either. Thanks for the help, I got it to work. For some reason, ./cataclysm didn't work on my Linux PC but works just fine on my Chromebook (go figure), so it works. Now to figure out how to not die...
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: September 25, 2013, 04:04:08 pm »

Is the game not supposed to tell you that the door you were trying to board up was completely destroyed and you're being nommed on? All it said was that I heard a noise a bunch. Then eventually it said I was hurt, and I stopped and came back to being surrounded by a horde zombies that came out of nowhere and a yellow torso.

What, was my character trying to board up empty space while being nommed on by four different zombies at once and only noticing a bit of noise? I didn't take the mime profession game!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: September 25, 2013, 04:30:49 pm »

Is the game not supposed to tell you that the door you were trying to board up was completely destroyed and you're being nommed on? All it said was that I heard a noise a bunch. Then eventually it said I was hurt, and I stopped and came back to being surrounded by a horde zombies that came out of nowhere and a yellow torso.

What, was my character trying to board up empty space while being nommed on by four different zombies at once and only noticing a bit of noise? I didn't take the mime profession game!

I've been noticing this a bunch too, with everything from reading to cooking; the information we're given is noise and then there's this giant 'lag' time of a bunch of actions having happened, then we get told we were hurt and offered a chance to stop.  Sometimes the hurt message is the first message, and I come back to find that my character's been blocking stuff for a while, and just determinedly reading on or whatever.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: September 25, 2013, 04:37:45 pm »

Yeah. I think 'attacked' should automatically interrupt you, not just being hurt.

Also, it seems odd that the 'No, I don't want to interrupt my reading/crafting because of noise' is treated the same as 'No, I don't want to interrupt my work because of a zombie I can see'. Seeing a monster should be a separate prompt that isn't overridden just because you are ignoring noises.

I ignore the noises of deer running around the outside of my safe house all the time. I'd really like to know if it turns out that some of that noise was actually a zombie smashing its way in through a window.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: September 25, 2013, 04:46:58 pm »

The problem is, it seems that it checks for interruptions every 15 minutes.  If there's a noise in that time, it gives you a noise warning.  Problem is, if there's ever a zombie, they come into view and attack you within 15 minutes, because they're fast enough to simply walk straight towards you and it might only take 2 minutes to reach you from max sight range.

It also handles any prompt for all prompts - if you say "No, don't interrupt me because of this noise" then it also assumed you don't want to be stopped for anything else.  I always stop actions when I hear a noise, because I know it won't warn me when I get hit.
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 1086