Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1867016 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6660 on: September 24, 2013, 07:55:03 pm »

Early on, Hulk is more or less 'gg new char pls'. Unless you, say, run into 3 LAWs on a dead patrol.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6661 on: September 24, 2013, 08:09:39 pm »

Glass, metal and high cutting damage items inflicting extra damage to the tires.

inb4 every single steak knife/machete/axe gains a highly magnetized blade. And tires are replaced with magnets.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6662 on: September 24, 2013, 08:30:41 pm »

I come bearing suggestions to make the game harder. The first is a simple thing which honestly is less of making it harder and more common sense. As it is you can train mechanics skill by using a crowbar on a unlocked but closed door which means you can basically raise it easily and only having to have left the shelter for a rock. Basically if the door is unlocked you shouldn't train mechanics.
   My other suggestion comes from a realization I had in my video which will be going up later tonight. Why do we see how much damage we do to the enemy when we don't see how much they do to us? I propose that instead of a number it just has a message telling how much you did in relation to the enemies max health. That way instead of seeing that you hit the zombie for 10 damage it says you smashed the zombie with you bat and then when you do the same thing to a hulk instead of 10 damage again it says you hit but barely faze the hulk. We already don't know our own health without a trait so why should we be able to analyze how much we have done to the enemy as well? You could even hook the message into some skill so it increases the granularity of the message for how much damage you did. If you attach it to a skill it should probably be survival as its the one that you get points for by butchering stuff.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: September 24, 2013, 08:46:57 pm »

My other suggestion comes from a realization I had in my video which will be going up later tonight. Why do we see how much damage we do to the enemy when we don't see how much they do to us?
Because nobody has gotten around to implementing it yet. :P It's been planned for a while now, but we just haven't gotten around to it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: September 24, 2013, 08:47:07 pm »

Glass, metal and high cutting damage items inflicting extra damage to the tires.

inb4 every single steak knife/machete/axe gains a highly magnetized blade. And tires are replaced with magnets.
Spoiler: Obligatory (click to show/hide)

Why does crowbar-ing a door open train mechanics at all?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6665 on: September 24, 2013, 08:58:10 pm »

Because it probably uses the lockpick function in some way
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: September 24, 2013, 09:02:27 pm »

I'm fairly certain they're separate functions. Lockpicks don't set off alarms or make a crunching sound.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: September 24, 2013, 09:59:32 pm »

I'm fairly certain they're separate functions. Lockpicks don't set off alarms or make a crunching sound.
They are separate iuse functions (though lockpicks can still set off alarms). As for the why, it's just always been that way and nobody has taken a close enough look to change it yet.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: September 24, 2013, 10:20:21 pm »

It might make more sense if you could cap certain actions to only provide skill gain up to a certain level. Working at things with a prybar will teach you a bit about leverage, material qualities and tolerances, and the application of force, which is related to mechanics, but it shouldn't teach you how to build clockwork guns or something.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: September 25, 2013, 12:34:43 am »

I decided to start making a tileset and even though it is very unfinished, I wanted to know what you guys think of it.
Here's a couple of screenshots:

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: September 25, 2013, 12:36:32 am »

Nice. A sort of crayon-y look. I love the creature sprites.

...Seriously, it looks weirdly like childish drawings in a way that contrasts the apocalypse. Keep developing, please.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: September 25, 2013, 12:42:43 am »

The aesthetics of the childish drawing like tiles make it seem more stylized like the way a child would draw what their caretaker did, because children draw everything. Keep it like that unless you wish to change it.

I'd use it when it comes out sooo yeah.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: September 25, 2013, 01:14:15 am »

I decided to start making a tileset and even though it is very unfinished, I wanted to know what you guys think of it.
Here's a couple of screenshots:
I approve of it. Keep developing it.

Make the zombies contrast the background a bit more. Otherwise, it's great.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: September 25, 2013, 01:18:32 am »

Thanks for the kind words, guys. :)

-snip-

Make the zombies contrast the background a bit more. Otherwise, it's great.

Yeah, a lot of creatures have this problem. I'll be fixing it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: September 25, 2013, 03:11:18 am »

Yes, i suggest to add some black outlines to the sprites , by example (using Hodder's tileset) :

into

So ingame

it changes to

Increasing readability and appeasing the eye strain in my opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 1086