Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859682 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6510 on: September 21, 2013, 03:48:29 pm »

Still in.

Why do you ask?

never seen one child zombie in my last game

IIRC they usually come from Regional Schools and Parks. So no worries unless you are near those.

If you do though, let you inner pyromania out by activated a lighter, matchbook and lightning in on fire...

Or using a flamethrower.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: September 21, 2013, 03:58:17 pm »

New spawns are pretty obnoxious. Been getting shockers/hulks/spitters consistently on day 0. With hardcore this means you lose, as a couple good spits/shocks will ruin your whole character since they have undodgeable after effects.

I really think the AOE attacks in general are overpowered. Maybe reduce the area of the spitter's acid attack [so it's not covering a 4x4 area around a character who just got hit by the acid..] and tone down the after-effects of the shocker cloud.

The cloud of electricity should not and would not be the thing damaging you most in such an attack. It would be the initial blast of electricity frying your neurons and burning your skin, not some static electricity left around after the fact. In this universe, if a shocker misses you completely with their attack you can still kiss your hardcore character goodbye if the cloud randomly decides to get you 5-6 times before you escape the radius. [20-25% of a character's HP in hardcore] The entire cloud needs to be removed and replaced with something that actually makes sense, make the initial shocker attack way stronger and give it a stun ability.

This shoehorned 'cloud shocking' that's been around forever needs to be replaced with something that isn't completely immersion ruining. Or have certain boots add a 'grounded' trait to the PC, making the shock effect of the cloud not hurt them, but not blocking initial shocker blasts. It would give you a way to actually counteract them instead of wishing and praying they don't appear on hardcore, and would continue with the 'specialized equipment is your best friend' part of the game..

I'm not afraid of getting attacked by shockers at all. It's their bullshit cloud of unblockable electricity that kills me with pain effects, which shows that there's a bit of a disconnect.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:04:30 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: September 21, 2013, 04:19:45 pm »

Just a note, but if you pay attention most of the time you can step in such a way to dodge acid pools/electric clouds. They usually aren't a solid 4x4 or 3x3 block after all, and generally at worst you will only need to step into a single cloud/puddle (unless you are fighting multiple shockers/spitters, in which case why are you trying to do that with a hardcore character on the first day?).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: September 21, 2013, 04:59:29 pm »

The cloud of electricity should not and would not be the thing damaging you most in such an attack. It would be the initial blast of electricity frying your neurons and burning your skin, not some static electricity left around after the fact. In this universe, if a shocker misses you completely with their attack you can still kiss your hardcore character goodbye if the cloud randomly decides to get you 5-6 times before you escape the radius. [20-25% of a character's HP in hardcore] The entire cloud needs to be removed and replaced with something that actually makes sense, make the initial shocker attack way stronger and give it a stun ability.

Realism != Cataclysm

I don't really find shockers much of a problem, they usually aren't that accurate and not too hard to dodge, you can get unlucky and get hit but if you think thats a possibility you can try and take pre-emptive pain killers so if you do get hit you won't be crippled by the pain.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: September 21, 2013, 07:47:34 pm »

After leaving a string of dead hookers rotting in the streets, I've come to the conclusion that crack addictions suck. A lot.

The prostitute profession really earns that -4 points.

A tip for someone having problems with starting out with strong addictions: Don't take chemical imbalance as well. Because having every bodypart suddenly freezing on top of withdrawal symptoms? Is a killer.

Also, do all of your fighting and looting within an ingame hour or two of starting/waking up. because once the cravings start hitting your speed will drop. And drop. And drop. Get a bunch of food and drink fast, then hole up somewhere out of the way and read/wait/sleep. Once you wake up and the withdrawal/depression has gone and you can move fast again, repeat.

Don't think taking a hit will instantly solve your withdrawal symptoms. I was down to 25 speed and 0's in every stat but str. Taking a hit left me with 25 speed and 0's in every stat but str. But I was elated from taking a hit, which will SLOWLY counteract the depressants and get you back up to a reasonable speed 20+ turns later. So don't take a hit when a zombie is three steps away thinking you'll be instantly better and kick its ass. The zombie hit me like fifteen times while I was taking the hit, and as said, my stats weren't any better. Nearly died to a single normal zombie from full health.

Now to find out how long it takes to break a crack addiction. Up to four days on my latest try.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: September 21, 2013, 08:29:57 pm »

A note on drug addictions, but there is currently a bug where they end up sending your health stat way, way into the negative values, resulting in nigh-constant colds/flus once you've kicked the habit. To prevent this once you finish the withdrawal process just turn on Debug message and walk for a bit until you see a "health : -XXXX" message. Divide that number by 100 and wish yourself that many vaccine shots and take them to fix it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: September 21, 2013, 08:34:47 pm »

I had a Hobo + Drunken Master build which was fun but in the end my Hobo and his Hobomobile (Shopping Cart) got surrounded and poor Hobo died valiantly in a swathe of fiery zombies. I don't think the hallucinations helped either.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6517 on: September 21, 2013, 08:47:21 pm »

Lost it at the shopping cart.

Just gonna throw this out there: classic zombies ftw.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: September 21, 2013, 09:37:04 pm »

So.... is there an efficient way to raise first aid above 3 besides spamming splints or first aid kits? I don't think I've seen a book after the 0-3 one.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: September 21, 2013, 09:37:55 pm »

A note on drug addictions, but there is currently a bug where they end up sending your health stat way, way into the negative values, resulting in nigh-constant colds/flus once you've kicked the habit. To prevent this once you finish the withdrawal process just turn on Debug message and walk for a bit until you see a "health : -XXXX" message. Divide that number by 100 and wish yourself that many vaccine shots and take them to fix it.
Flu/cold are actually considered inhaled effects, so permanently wearing a filter mask, gas mask, or air filtration bionic will make you immune to them.  Filter masks are pretty easy to make at low engineering using only a few bottles or bags.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: September 21, 2013, 10:00:05 pm »

edit : oops double post
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:01:36 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: September 21, 2013, 10:00:49 pm »

Ran into a bug, after a couple more days the 2 NPC that started in the shelter with me decided to move on their own into the town i was bust clearing, probably running after some harmless prey.

I joined them to help them survive there (as i had a mission from one of them) and at some point the game just became stuck there , while i was busy cooking with my frying pan some bear meat on a bush i fired with some matchbooks :

Pressing the space bar didn't do anything to unstuck the game
The debug log was full of this
Code: [Select]
player.cpp[6082]: Caroline Brooks tried to eat a lighter
the only other entries were i think from a previous game and so not related
Code: [Select]
ERROR: syntax error at line 1 near:
game.cpp[479]: game::load_npcs Static NPC with no fine location data (-1:1) New loc data (-27:98).
game.cpp[5656]: update_zombie_pos: no such zombie at 72,60 (moving to 59,64)
game.cpp[5656]: update_zombie_pos: no such zombie at 69,61 (moving to 59,59)
game.cpp[5656]: update_zombie_pos: no such zombie at 71,82 (moving to 64,64)
game.cpp[5642]: update_zombie_pos: new location 64,64 already has zombie 0
game.cpp[5617]: add_zombie: there's already a monster at 64,64
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:03:16 pm by Robsoie »

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: September 21, 2013, 10:10:06 pm »

She tried to eat a lighter and broke your game?

That's completely hilarious. Apart from you losing your save.

(good to know that not turning NPC's on was still a Good Idea(TM))

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: September 21, 2013, 10:13:41 pm »

Heh, I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet.

You know those "moving past this (x) is slow" message also apply to shopping carts. Including the ones you push. So... ram a zombie then clobber them while they're tangled in your buggy. I imagine you aim for the waist or knees and they topple over into the basket or something. It's a portable bush either way.

I've had NPC's try to eat lighters, too, but it hasn't crashed my game yet. They're mostly pretty useless either way, I haven't seen one survive more than a day while they were active (near me).
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #6524 on: September 21, 2013, 10:15:45 pm »

QUICK, THROW SOMETHING AT HER!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 1086