Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859474 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - What's that I see on the horizon? Could it be...
« Reply #6180 on: September 15, 2013, 01:21:57 pm »

You can also "s"mash them with a melee weapon, a pulped corpse doesn't reanimate.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - What's that I see on the horizon? Could it be...
« Reply #6181 on: September 15, 2013, 01:28:53 pm »

Butchering is the better option when you have the time, though, thanks to the skill training.

Also, all of the dead vehicles sitting around? I love them. You don't even need windows any more to whittle down the size of a town's horde.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6182 on: September 15, 2013, 06:39:44 pm »

Sufficiently burned corpses can't reanimate, either. If you have a spraycan flamethrower or molotovs, they can take out a load of Z's at once. Still, butchering is good for skill gains, and as we lack orbital nukes, it's currently the only way to be sure.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6183 on: September 15, 2013, 08:50:04 pm »

In honor of improved graphics (tile support) and the ability to generate a game with huge cities full of egregious numbers of zombies, Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead version 0.8 is titled "Romero". This release also comes with complete or near-complete Russian and Chinese translations, a player memorial file, save compatibility moving forward, and probably the most frequently requested feature of the game, shopping carts.

The binaries are at the usual location linked from www.cataclysmdda.com

The mysterious missing lighter charges are probably because activating smoked drugs uses lighter charges or equivalents.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6184 on: September 15, 2013, 09:15:20 pm »

Haven't played in a while.  I'll have to load this up again and see what it's like now.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: September 15, 2013, 09:19:35 pm »

Does Romero include vehicle un-fixes, that makes bushes non-lethal again?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6186 on: September 15, 2013, 09:21:52 pm »

Yes. Collisions could still use a bit more refining, but the majority of any current problems are due to the new realistic physics-based code highlighting problems that have always existed in the old arbitrary code but have never actually been revealed.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0,8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #6187 on: September 15, 2013, 09:28:51 pm »

I'm using an experimental version I download yesterday, 0.7.1-1778-g3654990. Is that close enough to the final .8 version that I can safely keep playing my current game without missing anything? Or if not, would the saves from that be compatible with .8 Romero?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6188 on: September 15, 2013, 09:32:55 pm »

I don't think saves have broken in the last week or so, no. Alternatively you can just keep playing till you die and then upgrade, there hasn't been too much content in the last day or so merged.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: September 15, 2013, 09:34:18 pm »

Sounds like a good time to start with this release have not played since the normal game was abandoned so should be fun, dling now.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6190 on: September 15, 2013, 09:44:01 pm »

I don't think saves have broken in the last week or so, no. Alternatively you can just keep playing till you die and then upgrade, there hasn't been too much content in the last day or so merged.

Think I'll play a little more with the older build and then try and move my save over after.

Also, really enjoying all the new stuff so far, especially the pneumatic guns. I do have to say though, that the pneumatic bolt driver had me confused for awhile. I was looking all over for bolts (as in, small metal bolts used in construction) until I realized it meant crossbow bolts.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6191 on: September 15, 2013, 09:51:28 pm »

How do you switch from tiles to non-tiles, exactly?

[Speed Edit]Also, maxed cities result in no shelters, with an accompanying debug message.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6192 on: September 15, 2013, 10:03:59 pm »

How do you switch from tiles to non-tiles, exactly?

[Speed Edit]Also, maxed cities result in no shelters, with an accompanying debug message.
There's an option to not use tiles in the option menu under interface. It's the 16th one. You have to restart when you uncheck it.
What I want to know is how to switch tilesets? Or did I miss something that was obvious?

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6193 on: September 15, 2013, 10:08:43 pm »

Options > Interface > 16. Use Tiles = False
As of this build, we're committing to save compatibility on releases, and possibly on individual builds.
We finally have a framework in place for it, and with some care we should be able to continue loading current save files in the future.  We'll likely cease supporting certain versions at some point, but it will be the exception rather than the rule.

And yea ultra-maximum cities basically don't work, but I left that level in just in case someone is insistent that they want a totally map-spanning city.

EDIT: To switch tiles adjust the data/gfx.txt config file.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:11:23 pm by azmodean »
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6194 on: September 15, 2013, 10:23:51 pm »

Yes. Collisions could still use a bit more refining, but the majority of any current problems are due to the new realistic physics-based code highlighting problems that have always existed in the old arbitrary code but have never actually been revealed.

Good deal. I'll give the new version a go in a day or two after I finish my Stabby Communist Dungeons of Dredmor character.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 1086