Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859586 times)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - What's that I see on the horizon? Could it be...
« Reply #6135 on: September 14, 2013, 01:33:09 pm »

First time using a shopping cart.

Why did I not use this until now? This thing is amazing!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - What's that I see on the horizon? Could it be...
« Reply #6136 on: September 14, 2013, 02:45:10 pm »

Static for now. After I get a bit more practiced at the early game I'll probably switch to dynamic and try a forest-based survivalist character. Not having a vehicle early should complicate things nicely.
Um, animals still spawn dynamically even in static mode. Doing a forest-based survivalist will function exactly identical whether you are on static or dynamic spawn modes.

Personally I use static, it is the "current mode" that things are balanced for anyways, and once static reaches a point where it can still challenge players in the late-game (roving zombie hordes, etc.) then dynamic will probably be removed anyways.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: September 14, 2013, 02:47:46 pm »

Though surely roving zombie hordes is basically just dynamic, no?
Zombies spawn back in an area every so often, even if it's a place where they couldn't logically get to.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: September 14, 2013, 02:51:09 pm »

Or just set spawn rates to the highest. Behold as cities become actual deathtraps.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: September 14, 2013, 02:51:44 pm »

That's pretty much what Roguelikes are about: the win condition is to survive a bit longer than your previous character.

Also, after you hole up, try spending some days inside, eat and sleep well. After you run out of food, the fun should start anew (even if you go hunting, chances are you'll encounter a swarm of fungaloids or similar).

Not sure what you mean here, most roguelikes have some sort of goal or objective. Nethack wants you to get the amulet, ADOM has you stopping (or not) the chaos incursion, dredmor has you killing dredmor, etc etc etc.

Other then DF adventure mode (which hardly counts, being a sort of minigame of an alpha game) and cataclysm, I can't actually think of a single roguelike with no goal or objective offhand (which is not to say they don't exist, just that they are the minority).

Surviving longer then your previous character only comes in as a goal because of the simple fact that most roguelikes are brutally difficult to actually win so you just try to do a little better every time.

If doing something stupid (eating all your food while you sleep all day wasting time) is required to make the game challenging again, it's a sign of bad game design. If at a certain point the player is not challenged you need to add more challenges, or add a win condition.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6140 on: September 14, 2013, 03:10:12 pm »

While yes most roguelikes have an end goal Cataclysm is not in fact just a roguelike. If I had to categorize it would be a sandbox roguelike and would share this category with DF's adventure mode. Once the NPCs work and quests are more fleshed out it will be easier to see. With the server setup that Cata has had at various points its actually the roguelike that came closest to being an MMO of sorts that I know of.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: September 14, 2013, 03:12:43 pm »

A win condition wouldn't fit cataclysm. Maybe build a death van and get on the road?
You have to remember that this game is still being developed.

Or you could make a new character.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: September 14, 2013, 03:20:16 pm »

DoomRL, X@com are both examples of highscore roguelikes and they are both fairly popular. many dungeon crawlers also have a very vague motive that only the best of the best players will achieve. so yeah, bad phrasing on my part. sorry.

also, eating al, your food and sleeping for days is exactly what you do when you hole yourself up in Cataclysm. it is not a stupid act, it is quite ordinary. you stockpile food and equipment, get well rested, read some books and maybe patch up your clothes. once your food runs out, you will have to go out and forage, exposing yourself to the dangers of the outside world.
So this is all very sensible and not stupid way to act. you gather what you need, board up a house, spend some days sleeping and eating well, reading books or crafting and then set out to find more food so you can prepare yourself even better for what you are planning to do.

now Cataclysm, like most sandbox games based around survival, does not provide you with many goals and once you come into a situation where you have enouh to survive indefinetly (great in life, not so much in videogames) what you need to do is set yourself a project, be it raiding a military outpost or building a fort. or else you will just stop finding the game engaging.

it is a flaw the survival niche shares. for example, most of my vanilla minecraft plays ends once i have a house and a 3x4 field of wheat.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: September 14, 2013, 03:21:34 pm »

Out of curiosity, do you all play with static spawn on or off?

On, because it's more realistic. Never liked dynamic because it wasn't reasonable to clear out a city.

I tend to use classic zombies mode as well since the other monster types still use dynamic spawn.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: September 14, 2013, 03:23:45 pm »

Fairly certain the damage for throwing spikes is very low if not 0 due to 0 weight.
Just want to say this but nothing actually has zero weight (except for a few rare things that are just placeholder items). Everything weighs at least 1 gram, it just displays as zero since the display only goes to 1/10ths of a lb/kg).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: September 14, 2013, 03:38:52 pm »

Just found an isolated public works compound with a dense minefield about four tiles away from the east wall, running the whole length of it. Natural defenses get.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: September 14, 2013, 03:59:21 pm »

Static for now. After I get a bit more practiced at the early game I'll probably switch to dynamic and try a forest-based survivalist character. Not having a vehicle early should complicate things nicely.
Um, animals still spawn dynamically even in static mode. Doing a forest-based survivalist will function exactly identical whether you are on static or dynamic spawn modes.

Right, I know. But animals aren't really a big deal once you have a bow and some practice shooting.

I was thinking more like starting directly in the woods and learning to deal without everything that comes from static's easier starts (books, working vehicles, batteries, pre-prepared food). Right now I usually just clear out a small town, and the rest is simple grinding with an armored escape wagon at hand.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: September 14, 2013, 05:26:53 pm »

I just found

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I (a)pplied a flashlight and it vanished from my inventory. Also, what to do with crates? Should they be smashed?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: September 14, 2013, 05:45:50 pm »

Use a crowbar on them. You can find nice things in them.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: September 14, 2013, 05:48:46 pm »

Use a crowbar on them. You can find nice things in them.

The crate was empty.
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 1086