Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859655 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile

I'm torn about the idea of megacities. On one hand, fortifying an area Urban Dead-style and setting up a barricaded survivor complex with small garden plots sounds pretty sweet.

On the other hand, once you have that initial clear completed, you'll probably have everything you're likely to need and the rest of the city will just be more of the same. The streets will be clogged, so driving larger vehicles will be annoying. Meat will be a problem, unless you make excursions out of the city to hunt every day or two.

The clogged streets might be less of an issue if we could cut up those useless frames and use them to barricade unused windows/doors (would need a welder, and be stronger than the wood patching we have now). I think once multi-level buildings are in, the ability to install permanent (one time, repairable but non-removable) solar arrays on the rooftops to power floodlighting around the compound would be fun. Also, gas-powered generators. Eh?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

Yeah, the only way I see myself enjoying a megacity to its fullest extent is with the ability to walk around on roofs and simultaneous Z-Level processing. I'd love to find a basement, fortify the house around it, and not have to deal with zombies teleporting into the basement.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well in original Cataclysm there was a chance of large cities, and chances for large cities to spawn near large cities to create huge cities, and then these huge cities to form mega cities!

I dunno why the mapgen code was changed so that doesn't occur anymore but it makes me sad.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

We have that, it's called the Lightning Storm  :P

It's not so much of an issue now that we have vehicles.

In fact, I don't really find a reason to ever make any buildings anymore. Vehicles are just so much simpler and have so much more utility.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Well in original Cataclysm there was a chance of large cities, and chances for large cities to spawn near large cities to create huge cities, and then these huge cities to form mega cities!

I dunno why the mapgen code was changed so that doesn't occur anymore but it makes me sad.
I think they added more options for the generator, so the chance of many cities clumping together decreased.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile

Taking from L4D, I would imagine climber/leaper zombies that could zombie-parkour over moats and walls and stuff would at least threaten a player in their safehouses.  Perhaps Chargers as well, who could do more damage to structures?  Maybe it wouldn't be as dangerous to the player as it was in L4D - no grab, and it could just trample and/or knock back a player instead of carrying them through the charge, or something.

I would also imagine the later stages would be made more difficult with NPCs - either bandits, or trying to keep the ones you've gathered to you stocked on ammo, food, medicine, and whatever other stuff?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Hulks are like Tanks, and Brutes are like Chargers.  Hulks are just very rare, though one of the few forces that can smash through house walls.

We used to have Fast zombies, dunno what happened to them...

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fast zombies became zombie dogs, maybe?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Or perhaps children...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or perhaps children...

Kids are quick, but they also affect morale, which dogs and fasts don't.  So I see kids as just 'new'.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

I remember a dev saying Fast zombies indeed became zombie dogs.

Zombie children are unrelated.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games

Initial progress with the World Factory:

Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

I remember a dev saying Fast zombies indeed became zombie dogs.
This is indeed true, and IIRC there is still a bug where master zombies can "upgrade" normal ones into zombie dogs. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile

I know there are fast zombies - well, zombie dogs now - Hulks and Brutes, but they're not really the same as what I mean.  A fast zombie dog isn't gonna climb, and while a Hulk can easily punch through whatever fortifications you have, it might be good to have a less rare and less powerful zambie that can also really threaten your buildings.

Or something.  :x

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I downloaded the experimental curses build two days ago, and again today, definitely different versions (4 new professions in today's, yay!)

But I'm running into a weird bug with both these versions.  Experimental, I know, but figured should be reported.

Some of the zombies 'don't exist', as far as my character and my commands go.  If I throw a rock at them, it doesn't miss, it just hits the ground as it I threw it at an empty square.  If I attempt to attack them, I enter the square they occupy.  If I use x to examine the square that I see them standing on, I see the square and any objects it contains, except for the zombie.  If I could not see them, and see them moving like any other zombie of their type, I wouldn't even know they are there.

But they are not an illusion - they can hit me just fine.

Saving and reloading allows a work around for this, otherwise I have no idea what causes it to happen or any other player side fix for it.  It seems pretty common, about 1 in 8-12 zombies I've tried to fight has been affected, and I've seen the bug 8 times now, across 4 short games from the two days ago experimental curses, and three short games from today's download.  But at least I found that fix, so my current game just might last longer  :D
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 1086