Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862731 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #555 on: February 01, 2013, 08:45:59 pm »

I do believe a rehaul of houses is definitely in order.

Ok I'll put my joke to the side and say

I really don't believe that things are so scarce unintentionally that houses that have a proper amount of things in them just havn't been added yet.

The game is set up so all resources are hard to find. It is part of the game's balance.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 01, 2013, 09:11:14 pm »

I never knew minimalism involved cocaine and weed all over the floor! :P

Best kind! Really, houses should have different types for different kinds of people, since it seems to portray New England as a crime ridden slum if weed and cocaine are that easy to find in houses. You could even have primarily suburban, pleasant towns and  huge industrial ghettos with this system to boot.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:00:03 pm by Fniff »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #557 on: February 01, 2013, 09:58:53 pm »

Looting.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #558 on: February 02, 2013, 09:39:24 am »

I do believe a rehaul of houses is definitely in order.

Thing is, if you look in the average house today, you find a heck of a lot more than a few sets of clothes, and a fridge with a few things in it. I don't know about you guys, but where I live, this place is STOCKED. There's so much stuff I dunno what to do with it.

Houses need to be less minimal. We need a bunch of items that suggest that there were actually people LIVING in them, you know?
It does kinda feel a bit empty. I'd like more furniture like TVs and couches, bookshelves as well. Houses with a bit of personality to them, you know? At the moment it kinda seems that every house is a minimalist masterpiece with all the items just strewn on the floor.
Excellent ideas. I accept code submissions in the form of pull requests on Github and diff files.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 09:46:35 am by The Darkling Wolf »
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 02, 2013, 09:45:23 am »

*glances at the source*

Heyyyy... these are all .cpp files.  I'm learning C++ this semester at college with Visual Studio 2010.  Maybe I will be able to contribute sometime.

Of course that probably won't be able to happen until I learn how to use more than cin and cout...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 02, 2013, 11:08:56 am »

Mm, looking forward to the community mod 'classic zombies'.

Something about cataclysm that really didn't ring my bell was that zombies run about as fast as you can when you are in prime condition.
I mean, if I had a broken leg, or, or a broken nose, or an arm, I can see that zombies catching up with me when I run out of stamina.
But nope, if you get scratched in the arm by 3 hitpoints and go below 100 speed, you're boned, because that skeleton you never liked WILL come over and make your day unbearable.

I'm not too keen about romero style slow zombies either, but I can see that zombies being a little slower might help the gameplay a little bit, you still have to deal with `em anyway in terms of looting and scavenging.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:12:42 am by DoomOnion »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 02, 2013, 11:12:50 am »

I honestly prefer slower zombies from a thematic standpoint.
If they were made slower but also a bit more resilient then it would make running more of a possibility and necessity. I don't like how in the game at the moment you're pretty much forced into fighting during any confrontation because of the fact that the zombies can chase you indefinitely.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 02, 2013, 11:19:12 am »

Huh. I have not run into those issues at all. Unless I am incredibly hurt (like, at 50 speed) I never had issues getting away from normal zombies (the faster special ones can be a pain)

Like. Ever. It's always seemed almost too easy to me to get away sometimes. They seem to move at like, half my walking speed. I can just lazily move away from the horde, even looting shops as I go.

You can't actually get away from the zombies in a big city because they are constantly despawning behind you and spawning in front of you. But I've never had zombies follow me more then about half a map square when I leave the city.

So what's up with that.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 02, 2013, 11:25:43 am »

Also the bullshit about skeletons being bulletproof undead macerators.
If i shoot em in the skull, the skull should shatter in a thousand pieces.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 02, 2013, 11:36:20 am »

Skeletons are immune to small rounds, but not by large ones at least. I distinctly remember that in my last ranged build run though that my machine gun bounced off of them, but my handgun would one shot them every time.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 02, 2013, 12:01:58 pm »

Huh. I have not run into those issues at all. Unless I am incredibly hurt (like, at 50 speed) I never had issues getting away from normal zombies (the faster special ones can be a pain)

Like. Ever. It's always seemed almost too easy to me to get away sometimes. They seem to move at like, half my walking speed. I can just lazily move away from the horde, even looting shops as I go.

You can't actually get away from the zombies in a big city because they are constantly despawning behind you and spawning in front of you. But I've never had zombies follow me more then about half a map square when I leave the city.

So what's up with that.
Nothing but a few clouds and a sun. Really.
There's nothing 'up'. No agenda here.
It's all just a matter of preference, so the more variety there is, the better.
I just don't like the idea of having to run 5 blocks to run away from the zombies. It's a bit too fast paced, and I can't really 'feel' the drama there.

The mod maker is increasing the zombie spawn rate even more, bur slowing them down drastically, so hopefully that would make some interesting situations, like zombies surrounding the store you are in slowly but steadily when you are too busy grabbing that bag of beef jerkies.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:03:48 pm by DoomOnion »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 02, 2013, 12:08:18 pm »

Ah. I am sorry if I was unclear. I did not mean up as in I was doubting you. I meant it as in, how are people even having such large differences in playing the same game.

You say that a single scratch will force you into a confrontation with the undead, I slam into a wall going forty miles per hour in my car then drive though two broken windows and still easily outpace anything but fast zombies.

Graknorke says that running is not possible and that zombies follow you forever, I find it silly easy to loot towns with hundreds of the fuckers following me and then get away without having to swing a single punch.

I didn't mean like there is a agenda or conspiracy here. Or even that you two are wrong. Simply that I don't understand how there can be vastly different outcomes in the same game.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 02, 2013, 12:16:20 pm »

Well, that's humanity for you.  :D

In all seriousness, yeah, that's how my gameplay normally revolves around as well. Get hurt? No problem, just smoke some cigars, drink some rum, take codeine, bandage yourself, and go loot some more.

But like everything else in life, people can have vastly different opinions about things. ;)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 02, 2013, 12:25:55 pm »

Now I'm royalty confused. But whatever.

Does anyone else have the bug that when you try to delete the world it refuses to delete? I've yet to find a way past this other then deleting my whole game folder and getting a fresh download. Which still refuses to delete worlds.

It's a big issue, because I like to carefully go though all my chars when I make them, and thus not having access to presets that I know are okay drains a lot of my time. And after a few runs the worlds becomes increasingly harder and harder to survive in because all the food and water in the starting city is always taken by my first few chars and then deleted along with them. So after a few games my only option for survival is to just ignore the starting city and try to run to another one, and when I get there, starving, dying of thirst, and with no weapons the grace period is up and it is full of zombies. Which makes it really really hard to survive.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 02, 2013, 02:34:14 pm »

Ok, I got desperate during a search for a car and ended up driving a beetle.   It is unique in that kind of "Is that fast zombie outrunning my car?" Kind of way. :P

And yea the world deletion seems a bit odd.  I've noticed it not deleting worlds too.  I see a console window come up for a second then disappearing and the world is still there.  I've also had a character die with autodelete worlds set to 1 and it also did nothing.

This is under windows by the by.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:43:53 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 1086