Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861589 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4980 on: July 23, 2013, 08:43:00 pm »

If that's true, I've got my dukes up 24/7.  I don't expect that wielding a Savage 111F means you're aiming down the scope at all times either.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4981 on: July 23, 2013, 08:52:25 pm »

But you also don't have it slung over your back with your hands in your pockets.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: July 23, 2013, 09:04:42 pm »

No, but part of the real purpose of martial arts is that you're not actually using a weapon, leaving your hands free for anything and being unable to be disarmed.  If your hands aren't actually free, then it's quirky and bugged.

'Wielding' martial arts should let you use pockets.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: July 23, 2013, 11:29:34 pm »

Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4984 on: July 23, 2013, 11:35:56 pm »

Now that I think of it, there was that one time travel mod way back. I believe it had a system for long term changes and such.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: July 23, 2013, 11:42:39 pm »

Oh, this is Dynamic.  While static is fun, I feel it makes the start game too difficult and makes the late game too easy, as well as too much 'instant combat' and then the town is just empty.

This is still the opposite of my experience.  With static, I find it really easy to clear out a starting area by fighting a couple zombies at a time.  Much easier than the frantic blitz to grab a bunch of stuff and then scrape by in the wilderness.  I can clear a house and sleep in a bed my first night.  Probably find everything I need to clean water from the bathroom.  If you can make just one house safe to stay in on your first day, which isn't hard, it's easy to support yourself from there.

I will agree that static spawns make the end game too easy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4986 on: July 23, 2013, 11:53:38 pm »

I would debate that what you think is the end game isn't. What the end game happens to be is things like clearing labs and going down into mines and shaking things up. Clearing a town and setting yourself up is the mid game. Just like in modern Dwarf Fortress there isn't a true end game but the closest thing isn't building a place up and making it safe but the things that make it unsafe again for you.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: July 24, 2013, 12:28:35 am »

I would debate that what you think is the end game isn't. What the end game happens to be is things like clearing labs and going down into mines and shaking things up. Clearing a town and setting yourself up is the mid game. Just like in modern Dwarf Fortress there isn't a true end game but the closest thing isn't building a place up and making it safe but the things that make it unsafe again for you.

With my last character, I continued playing past the point where nothing was a challenge, including raiding labs and casually walking up to the turrets around a military base in broad daylight to shoot them with arrows, dodging or deflecting the shots from 4-5 turrets at once.  I eventually went through a large town and punched out every zombie (and a couple bears) in one day just to see if I could, with an unarmed skill of 3, no styles, and no attempt to single out enemies or abuse obstacles.  After doing that, I tinkered with vehicle construction for a while longer and quit.  Seemed like end game to me.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 12:31:09 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4988 on: July 24, 2013, 01:24:08 am »

Well you haven't caused an earthquake and summoned that which such things summon. You have not slain the heart of the triffids nor taken out a fungal spire. Have you even found any artifacts? One is needed to get into an interesting place. There are horrors from beyond space and time roaming around, have you found any of the stronger ones? Bascially there are things you have yet to do and they are harder then zombies. Zombies, even the special ones fall more under a wildlife problem, just like giant spiders and the dreaded Moose. They just happen to appear in giant swarms.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: July 24, 2013, 01:31:28 am »

I kind-of did what SalmonGod did, but I was using static spawn, NPC's off, and purposely left some things undone. I had only a handful of bionics, no mutations, and several of the special supertech things un-fiddled-with. I figure once I finish my steam sale purchases it'll be a great motivation to come back here and see how the kickstarter funds have been spent in a month or so.

I kinda think static spawn makes the game very easy once you know how to deal with zombies (i.e. bash them with a nail board, step back, wait, repeat), even in the early going. Unless you run into a jabberwock two steps out of the shelter or something...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: July 24, 2013, 01:53:49 am »

Well you haven't caused an earthquake and summoned that which such things summon. You have not slain the heart of the triffids nor taken out a fungal spire. Have you even found any artifacts? One is needed to get into an interesting place. There are horrors from beyond space and time roaming around, have you found any of the stronger ones? Bascially there are things you have yet to do and they are harder then zombies. Zombies, even the special ones fall more under a wildlife problem, just like giant spiders and the dreaded Moose. They just happen to appear in giant swarms.

The only thing I know I have yet to face is a strange temple.  I went up to one, but couldn't figure out how to get inside.  I've also never found an artifact, or killed a fungal spire.  Though I've had a couple characters that I think could easily kill a fungal spire.  I've manually cleared every hostile out of a slime pit and did a thorough search before determining there was nothing interesting down there, and torching it.  I've explored mines and sewage plants, but never found much of interest.  Of course, I never went swimming in the sewage, either.  I went into the sewers once, but IIRC, it seemed impossible to survive down there.  I suppose I've never tried infiltrating an ant colony.  I could try that.  I don't know anything about the horrors from beyond space/time.  I realize there are things I haven't done/seen, but I thought they were all relatively minor.  The stuff you seem to be implying are things that I have yet to see any hints at in-game, and I think I've read all the logs that can be found in a waste disposal facility or science lab.  I've also wandered a pretty good chunk of my map.

The problem seems to be that if this is mid-game, then late-game is too well hidden.  There need to be more clues sprinkled about, or subtle forces that drive you towards the end-game content.

For now, I think I'm taking another break.  This game will probably feel brand new again if I give it a couple months.  I do think it's progressing incredibly well, and that the current team is doing excellent work.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4991 on: July 24, 2013, 02:28:29 am »

I got into a strange temple by ramming it repeatedly with a truck. :D

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4992 on: July 24, 2013, 02:53:15 am »

Huh, you have done a bit. I guess you have done a lot of what I consider end game as well as the mid game. Well below is spoiler so spoiler it shall be
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also I must say I don't know how you do so well at the game. Your doing heads and tails better then I have ever been able to do.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 02:54:56 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: July 24, 2013, 03:11:29 am »

I got into a strange temple by ramming it repeatedly with a truck. :D

The one I found was just a pedestal and a metal grate on the ground.  I thought about blowing open the grate with C4, but I didn't think destroying a floor tile could work that way and I would just destroy the pedestal and block off access forever.  Unless destroying the pedestal grants access somehow (comparable to your classic shooting the control panel), but I thought it would be smarter to just leave it and see if I can find whatever is needed.

Also I must say I don't know how you do so well at the game. Your doing heads and tails better then I have ever been able to do.

I feel like my playstyle is borderline exploitive, but now that I understand it, playing any other way just feels like being intentionally stupid.  Once you figure out some simple and efficient ways to grind skills, which isn't hard, it gets stupidly easy.  Gather some materials, choose a spot, and just craft/disassemble/re-craft items over and over.  Books don't even seem to be that much better much of the time.  They help most with skills like electronics that are hard to get started in, because they don't present many crafting options at low levels.  Go out and cook some wild animal and bathroom water once or twice a day.  You can get any skill up to high levels in just a couple days with focused work.  The hardest part is gathering materials, and we've gone over just how easy zombies are to clear out.  Most of the difficulty is in inventory management, and the negative encumbrance stuff is a bit too easily exploited.  I've got my guy up to almost 180 volume with only 1 torso encumbrance.

Not to mention, archery is still absurdly powerful.  I haven't felt any need to touch a real firearm.

This is all assuming you don't get exploded by some high level creature as soon as you step out of the first evac shelter, but if that doesn't happen, the game seems really easy to me now.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:14:37 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: July 24, 2013, 04:38:39 am »

I haven't played this game in a while but I just had to say, I love how the map interface has been developed so far. Simple yet effective functionality (like being able to easily change the character of a note in the map UI) is awesome in any game.

Tip: With this you can get really detailed with your notes and use your map sort of like a journal.
       Example in my current game:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can store a lot of information in compact spaces on the map, makes it easier to remember what your goals and needs are. There are probably even more complex things you can do too. I love it, and look forward to more cool features.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:46:52 am by debvon »
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 1086