Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861542 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4965 on: July 23, 2013, 05:34:34 pm »

... There's a backstory beyond the Lab terminals?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4966 on: July 23, 2013, 05:53:27 pm »

There is a "story" to the setting which is taken from the evidence. For instance the radioactive craters probably means nukes. Basically by observing whats going on in the world you can get a feel for what happened. Though I guess there could be other actual ingame story text.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: July 23, 2013, 07:09:38 pm »

Leave a house filled out with mindless zombie hitting walls for a few days or anything, a house without maintenance and being hit with acid rain good lord guys... think a bit... would make wall god down bits by bits or even a zombie brute forced his way out there is a LOT LOT of reason why some house would be damaged, use your imagination.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: July 23, 2013, 07:12:23 pm »

Zombies don't and can't break through walls though. Only hulks can, and zombies barely move so that's hardly a thing that would happen.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4969 on: July 23, 2013, 07:23:49 pm »

Most of the damage probably happened during the initial outbreak. Remember, the zombie virus doesn't actually do anything until you're dead, so all those people had to die first somehow. I figure this happened mostly due to everybody turning on each other once people became aware of the zombie problem.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: July 23, 2013, 07:25:22 pm »

I would say leave a chance of finding rubble in, but reduce its chance severely. 10% is far too much. Maybe like a 1% chance of an indoor tile having rubble on it and another 1% chance that a wall will be destroyed with rubble scattering out on top of and to both sides of the destruction. It'd certainly give character to the houses. After all, several cataclysmic events did suddenly just happen. It would be strange if ALL walls escaped the carnage. To add to that, maybe windows could rarely be found broken or the like. Zombies can break windows, and it'd be silly if any surviving humans DIDN'T try to break windows or even open them if zombies were in pursuit.
Also often called Boowells.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: July 23, 2013, 07:40:39 pm »

One problem in the earlier attempt was that no windows existed anymore, and sheets of glass became the rarest item in the game.  Technically they did exist, but the 'spawns broken' rate was so high that you never found a window.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4972 on: July 23, 2013, 07:55:16 pm »

That actually makes sense, I think. Intact windows probably would be hard to come by. You can find sheets of glass in hardware stores and public works dept.'s, right? So you'd be able to find some. and of course, the cabins and farmhouses would have suffered a lot less damage.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: July 23, 2013, 08:01:26 pm »

That actually makes sense, I think. Intact windows probably would be hard to come by. You can find sheets of glass in hardware stores and public works dept.'s, right? So you'd be able to find some. and of course, the cabins and farmhouses would have suffered a lot less damage.
Only problem is they became the single rarest items in the game.  I found more mininukes than I'd found sheets of glass.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4974 on: July 23, 2013, 08:08:06 pm »

There is a "story" to the setting which is taken from the evidence. For instance the radioactive craters probably means nukes. Basically by observing whats going on in the world you can get a feel for what happened. Though I guess there could be other actual ingame story text.
And the whole backstory Whales put up?
Link please? I never have seen such a thing.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: July 23, 2013, 08:10:17 pm »

"This piece of clothing has pockets for your hands."
Does this do anything?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: July 23, 2013, 08:13:02 pm »

Should count as warmth for your hands in the cold, I think, if you aren't holding anything?

Anyway, what I'd like to see is some rare cars spawn halfway through walls and the walls rubble-ized and the car very broken. :P

Also, the first days of the cataclysm were a lot less tame, what with the otherworldly beasts still up and about messing stuff up. So some heavier building damage would make sense. But it should be rare-ish.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: July 23, 2013, 08:30:02 pm »

Should count as warmth for your hands in the cold, I think, if you aren't holding anything?
In that case, martial arts counts as 'holding something' because that's what I play and I never benefit from the clothing.  This should most definitely be considered a bug.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4978 on: July 23, 2013, 08:38:04 pm »

And the whole backstory Whales put up?
Link please? I never have seen such a thing.

I remember seeing this way back in the day, when whales was still working on cataclysm. That was quite some time ago, though, so I have no idea where to find it now.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4979 on: July 23, 2013, 08:40:47 pm »

In that case, martial arts counts as 'holding something' because that's what I play and I never benefit from the clothing.  This should most definitely be considered a bug.
Do you have a quick draw talent(memo: quick draw talent to reduce time spend wielding weapon(question: does wielding a weapon even take time?)) so that you can draw your fists quickly? I assume have your karate style wielded means you got your hands readied to attack anything that comes your way.
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 1086