Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861568 times)

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #4950 on: July 23, 2013, 10:33:29 am »

tried playing sheriff and something to do with the character class happened

"Assertion Failed

program ...
File: newcharacter.cpp
line 314

Skill:skill(iter->first)

"

i hope this has helped.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: July 23, 2013, 10:52:28 am »

i have a bug picking up broadswords - it never shows up in my inventory, using 0.7.1

ive found two now and when i try to wield them theyre not there and neither in my inventory

oops, they're under tools, i didnt see
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:59:29 am by Twiggie »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: July 23, 2013, 02:36:49 pm »

tried playing sheriff and something to do with the character class happened
It has, thanks for bringing it up.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: July 23, 2013, 03:08:39 pm »

Reading this thread makes me wish I survived long enough to get a mechanics skill good enough to do any of this.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: July 23, 2013, 03:56:45 pm »

Reading this thread makes me wish I survived long enough to get a mechanics skill good enough to do any of this.
Start with 12+ strength, Self-Defense Training, 4 skill in Unarmed, and Krav Maga as your selected martial arts style.  Be prudent with fighting on flat terrain and pick your fights behind windows or vehicles, and remember that you run faster than everything except dogs and wolves, you don't need to fight everything, and for the first few days you don't even want to fight anything.  Just run through town collecting food and water, then retreating outside of town and reading skillbooks until you've got enough survival, cooking, and tailoring to move into town full-time.  Once you reach that point, it's easier to survive in town, eat wolves and funnel-water, and focus on other skillbooks like mechanics, electronics, and high-level cooking.  You'll find it won't take that long to drain the zombie population from a small city and be left with wolves, spiders, wasps, and the occasional bear.

Speaking of: It seems a zombie doesn't have to die to be removed from the population pool.  Driving a motorcycle through a new city will draw a huge horde to follow you, but when you drive far enough that they despawn then when you return they won't be there to harass you again.  It seems (to my untrained eye) that spawning a zombie takes it from the region population.  Instead, I think when a zombie is killed it should lower the population of the map tile it died on.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: July 23, 2013, 04:04:40 pm »

Speaking of: It seems a zombie doesn't have to die to be removed from the population pool.  Driving a motorcycle through a new city will draw a huge horde to follow you, but when you drive far enough that they despawn then when you return they won't be there to harass you again.  It seems (to my untrained eye) that spawning a zombie takes it from the region population.  Instead, I think when a zombie is killed it should lower the population of the map tile it died on.

Hmm this seems to be a bug. I suppose you are playing static spawn? dynamic spawn they should be added back into the population pool and will spawn again when you come into the area. Or maybe they didn't despawn and are still just trying to chase you?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: July 23, 2013, 04:10:44 pm »

Oh, this is Dynamic.  While static is fun, I feel it makes the start game too difficult and makes the late game too easy, as well as too much 'instant combat' and then the town is just empty.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4957 on: July 23, 2013, 04:41:47 pm »

An Idea: Have the starting shelters start out really smashed. Take all the stuff the player can smash, and them smash about 75% of it and leave like 60% of the loot that would result scattered around the shelter. This'd make things easier for starting players, cause it's let them know things can be smashed, and somewhat more difficult for experienced players, cause they'd have less stuff overall available. This should probably also be done to most other places, too.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: July 23, 2013, 04:46:25 pm »

An Idea: Have the starting shelters start out really smashed. Take all the stuff the player can smash, and them smash about 75% of it and leave like 60% of the loot that would result scattered around the shelter. This'd make things easier for starting players, cause it's let them know things can be smashed, and somewhat more difficult for experienced players, cause they'd have less stuff overall available. This should probably also be done to most other places, too.
In one ancient version, all buildings would spawn with ~10% chance of any given tile being ruble.  It sounds fun, but in practice is actually gets really sloppy and poor to play.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: July 23, 2013, 04:49:42 pm »

I liked it...

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4960 on: July 23, 2013, 04:56:35 pm »

What if instead of all buildings having 10% per a tile instead you have 10% of the buildings having 10% of the tiles be rubble or some other percentage mixture.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4961 on: July 23, 2013, 05:01:12 pm »

I don't want the walls to be smashed, just the windows, doors, benches, counters, and lockers.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: July 23, 2013, 05:01:36 pm »

That might be more reasonable, more like the way spider nests spawn.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: July 23, 2013, 05:15:01 pm »

What if instead of all buildings having 10% per a tile instead you have 10% of the buildings having 10% of the tiles be rubble or some other percentage mixture.
/signed
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: July 23, 2013, 05:18:39 pm »

I don't particularly agree with the rubble. Where did the rubble come from? What broke the walls? The Cataclysm hasn't been around for that long, and this isn't Fallout.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 1086