Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860905 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4845 on: July 20, 2013, 07:22:02 pm »

@IronTomato
   If your having troubles with clothes then consider sinking 4 points into tailoring. At that level once you get a sewing kit or bone needle you can simply smash a window and cut the sheet for 20 rags which makes a backpack. If you don't want to go into town you can get the Tailor profession and start with a sewing kit so you can make all the clothes you can ever want from just the starting building (hint, you can dissemble the string from the windows a couple times for more thread). That or put 1(you would need to raise survival to 3 before you can make the needle) or 4 points into survival so you can butcher something or a bone to make a bone needle. Also the most recent builds has a bunch of professions added which will help you. Will go check that.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4846 on: July 20, 2013, 07:29:29 pm »

I prefer to get a pipe from the lockers i the upper right, then use a rock to make that into a crowbar. It both lets you smash zombie and get's you into the houses that are locked.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: July 20, 2013, 07:50:24 pm »

I tried the nail board thing. Worked pretty well until I died because of an infection trying to find a pharmacy, then getting attacked by even more zombies.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4848 on: July 20, 2013, 07:54:06 pm »

Early on when you get a bite wound just cauterize it. You probably won't find first aid in time to clean it out before infection sets in and infection is basically a 24 hour ingame count to death.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: July 20, 2013, 07:54:56 pm »

Or you could forgo clothing and towns, and simply live the simple life of a hermit, gathering mushrooms and berries, and kill the occasional rabbit for some meat. Eventually through sheer tenacity, your survival skill should get high enough to just flat out make anything you need for a comfortable life.

Or you could just take the cheap way out and start off at 4 survival. On that subject. I'm thinking about modding in some knappable stone knives. Is there any way to mod out the starting pocket knife and matches?

(How the hell do funnels work? Do I need to drop containers on them or something?)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: July 20, 2013, 07:59:19 pm »

It sounds like you're going way too deep into town. Try scouting along the edge of town first, and see if there's a house with an empty lot between it and the next house. Lure any zeds in sight range of that house back outside of town and kill them there. They'll have some kind of clothes, probably.

You need a lighter in order to cauterize with the pocket knife, so... before that you can't count on it. Lighters are pretty common in houses, though. Also, if you're playing with dynamic spawn, turn that off until you get a better feel for combat and movement.

(a)ctivate a funnel to place it, (e)xamine it when it's raining and it will ask you if you want to dismantle it. Say no, and you're prompted for a container to store the water in.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: July 20, 2013, 08:00:15 pm »

I think you just need matches, as I have cauterized almost right at the start before.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: July 20, 2013, 08:02:31 pm »

It sounds like you're going way too deep into town.
Dude, before I can even see houses on the screen they start to surround me. I went to deep into the town once, and there were like 30 zombies there near me there.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: July 20, 2013, 08:06:09 pm »

Look at the map. If you see a bunch of houses nowhere near a church, a store or what-have-you, attack the ones on the edge.
Highly Opinionated Fool

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4854 on: July 20, 2013, 08:09:43 pm »

You originally needed a lighter but that was because of something that was hard coded. This was changed so now it does work with the matches.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: July 20, 2013, 08:15:32 pm »

Look at the map. If you see a bunch of houses nowhere near a church, a store or what-have-you, attack the ones on the edge.
That's what I've been doing. But due to my lack of luck when it comes to finding crap, I usually stick around and search, which leads to an increasingly large swarm chasing me as I search.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: July 20, 2013, 08:19:20 pm »

Oh ah. Try running along the random roads then. Who knows, you may find a shelter or two.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: July 20, 2013, 08:50:00 pm »

Go to options and turn Static Spawn to FALSE.  This will make it significantly easier to survive your first day of game-time.

Also, take Self-Defense Training perk, and get 4 ranks of Unarmed, and Krav Maga as your martial arts.  It's pretty much OP survival.

This will get you through any situation that's too small to run away from.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4858 on: July 20, 2013, 09:18:51 pm »

Either kill the zombies, or run out of town so you leave them behind. Don't let a mob build up, cause one of the specials will inevitably slow you down and they'll kill you.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4859 on: July 20, 2013, 10:03:48 pm »

as for getting clothes with good storage, start as a tailor and you can make LOTS of clothing from the sheets you get by smashing the spawn shelter windows
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 1086