Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859813 times)

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4140 on: July 08, 2013, 03:37:07 pm »

I'm debating the best method to add chainmail.  It's actually exceedingly easy to produce, just tedious.  The only tools you really need is some wire, a pipe, bolt cutters or a saw, and pliers or equivalent tool.

Step 1: Craft a spring using pipe as a tool, consuming wire as a material.
Step 2: Craft "bundle of rings" using bolt cutters OR hacksaw as tool, and consuming the spring as material.
Step 3: Craft the clothing or bag using pliers - these aren't in the game, so they could be added or an equivalent tool could be used.

Of course, toolset would suffice for all, and no electricity is required - you could possibly add battery tools to make crafting faster.

The wire in the game is the kind used for chain-link fences, isn't that a bit thin for chainmail? (8-14GA from what I can tell, but I'm totally prepared to be wrong on that)  Regardless you might *want* a lighter-than usual chain as you're defending mostly against zombie scratches and bites instead of weapons designed to defeat the armor.

Also I believe it's doable to hand-draw steel chunks or rebar as long as you have an appropriate wire die and workbench.  This would get you both heavier wire guage and a much more ready supply of wire.
Adding pliers, snips, and a wire die wouldn't be a problem.

Don't forget to make step 3 take a mind-numbingly long time ;)
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: July 08, 2013, 03:37:55 pm »

Is it common for hospitals to be packed with almost only boomers? Because I've found about 2 of them for every other kind of zombie near and inside one.
The last one I was in, had a good mix.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: July 08, 2013, 03:38:10 pm »

Is it common for hospitals to be packed with almost only boomers? Because I've found about 2 of them for every other kind of zombie near and inside one.

I've seen the same thing.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4143 on: July 08, 2013, 03:42:55 pm »

I'm debating the best method to add chainmail.  It's actually exceedingly easy to produce, just tedious.  The only tools you really need is some wire, a pipe, bolt cutters or a saw, and pliers or equivalent tool.

Step 2: Craft "bundle of rings" using bolt cutters OR hacksaw as tool, and consuming the spring as material.
Step 3: Craft the clothing or bag using pliers - these aren't in the game, so they could be added or an equivalent tool could be used.

Of course, toolset would suffice for all, and no electricity is required - you could possibly add battery tools to make crafting faster.

The wire in the game is the kind used for chain-link fences, isn't that a bit thin for chainmail? (8-14GA from what I can tell, but I'm totally prepared to be wrong on that)  Regardless you might *want* a lighter-than usual chain as you're defending mostly against zombie scratches and bites instead of weapons designed to defeat the armor.

Also I believe it's doable to hand-draw steel chunks or rebar as long as you have an appropriate wire die and workbench.  This would get you both heavier wire guage and a much more ready supply of wire.

Chain link fence wire is plenty thick for chain mail, but it is softer than you probably want.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4144 on: July 08, 2013, 03:43:19 pm »

Yeah, hospitals are supposed to have loads of special zombies.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: July 08, 2013, 03:44:56 pm »

But there are only fat guys! And some spitters in my case.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: July 08, 2013, 03:57:52 pm »

What skill will it use? Tailoring? Mechanical? Really, it probably ought to require a little bit of both, with more on the tailoring side if you're actually trying to make anything that fits reasonably.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: July 08, 2013, 04:06:40 pm »

Did anyone poke around in the keystroke-recognition code between the last website version (windoes, SDL) and 0.6 because the game no longer recognizes alt-key characters. Some elaboration: I use a Swedish keyboard layout which has certain keys that cataclysm uses mapped to alt+key combinations. This includes characters such as @ and \, which are mapped to alt + 2 and alt + +, respectively. The current website windows SDL version no longer recognizes these, which makes the game pretty annoying to play since inventory items mapped to those keys are impossible to interact with. The problem cropped up somewhere between 0.6 (Samedi) and the current version, just tested both and Samedi works just fine.

I guess I could just switch keyboard layout when I want to play, but that would be highly annoying.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: July 08, 2013, 04:12:13 pm »

May want to check the dev forum.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: July 08, 2013, 04:29:58 pm »

Some points about chainmail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RssIl2v0C1k

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: July 08, 2013, 04:36:33 pm »

what about adding shields?

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: July 08, 2013, 04:47:05 pm »

what about adding shields?

Yeah, I've thought about this too. We could have everything from home-made shields made from 2-by-4's to riot shields and even high-tech military energy shields. A riot shield would definitely be a good thing to have in a zombie apocalypse. Riot shield in one hand, handgun in the other, proceed to murderize Z's. Or go full medieval on them with plate-mail, kite shield and morningstar.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: July 08, 2013, 04:55:41 pm »

Chain link fence wire is actually perfectly fine for mail - it's steel and the gauge is fine for armor.  Yes, it COULD be thicker and sturdier, but that's like saying that a battleship isn't very well armored because it COULD mount more tons of steel.

Galvanized steel is actually a very decent material to work it, especially in the apocalypse.  It's steel, so it's durable, and the galvanizing keeps it from rusting - this is why it's used for fences and guard rails.  It's cheaper and easier to produce than Stainless, but the white powdery layer on top prevents rusting, so it doesn't lost integrity even in rain.  For a survivor, this means that your armor is essentially immune to water corrosion and environmental damage.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4153 on: July 08, 2013, 05:00:47 pm »

Making chainmail has multiple steps to it so it can use multiple skills. The construction of the rings could be mechanic skill while the actual crafting of the armor itself from the rings could be a tailoring thing. This would allow someone who just knows tailoring to make some if they find enough rings just lying around. An alternative is make it require mechanic skill to make the stuff but you have to have enough tailoring skill to have the chainmail you craft be fitted.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: July 08, 2013, 05:01:08 pm »

Some points about shields
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdHo-1jbX1A
---------
Chain link fence wire is actually perfectly fine for mail - it's steel and the gauge is fine for armor.  Yes, it COULD be thicker and sturdier, but that's like saying that a battleship isn't very well armored because it COULD mount more tons of steel.

Galvanized steel is actually a very decent material to work it, especially in the apocalypse.  It's steel, so it's durable, and the galvanizing keeps it from rusting - this is why it's used for fences and guard rails.  It's cheaper and easier to produce than Stainless, but the white powdery layer on top prevents rusting, so it doesn't lost integrity even in rain.  For a survivor, this means that your armor is essentially immune to water corrosion and environmental damage.
Dude, watch the video about chain mail.
Thicker is shittier for chain mail.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 1086