Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859803 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4125 on: July 08, 2013, 08:22:49 am »

Robsoie:
When not moving, are you still making sure to wait for your recoil to go away and your aim to resteady?

Firing while your recoil is high is basically never going to hit anything. When "moving" (actually alternating between shooting and moving) it means you're actually taking more time in between shots to recover and steady your aim, so if you aren't paying attention to your recoil it would seem like you were more accurate (and you are, because you're trying to shoot at half the speed).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:24:57 am by GlyphGryph »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: July 08, 2013, 08:54:43 am »

Ah that must be it, thanks, i didn't even noticed there was a recoil setting displayed, just noticed it after reading your post , makes sense now :D

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: July 08, 2013, 09:00:58 am »

I've looted almost the whole town, and I did not find a welder, nor welding googles. And I haven't discovered another town yet. I think I'm stuck in my little town with two hospitals, but almost no shops.
Decided to man up and explore.

East: swamp, fungaloids (didn't see the spire)
South: FEMA camp, forests
North: have yet to see, acid rain :(
West: forests, another FEMA camp

I'm screwed.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: July 08, 2013, 10:04:16 am »

FEMA camps aren't that bad, if you beeline for the loot, you'll be well-equipped to deal with the residents.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: July 08, 2013, 10:23:03 am »

Suggestion: railways and train vagon...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: July 08, 2013, 10:33:39 am »

It seems saving the game does not deal correctly with NPC that joined you and are following.

After managing to convince the starting shelter NPC to come help me , i went to town to test the recoil control to keep my accuracy high with my debug test m4a1 rifle and .223 ammo.
It worked really great (as long as i had points in both firearms and rifle), the recoil stabilizing fully in 2 turns.

Once i put an end to many, many zombies, i decided to save the game there to keep going later.

Later i relaunched and noticed that my NPC ally was not where she was, she was now at a long distance according to the map, i went back to her and came back to town.
To test more, i saved then there, closed Cataclysm, relaunched and loaded , surprise this time my ally is not there, i mean i see NPC around town in the map (that weren't there when i saved) but my ally does not exist anywhere, i went back all the way to the shelter to see if by any chance she was reset-ed there, but no.

Not much of a problem as i am just testing around this time, but reporting in case it's some new bug.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: July 08, 2013, 10:39:25 am »

Yeah, one of the lingering problems with NPCs, and why they are off by default. At least they don't have their heads explode upon seeing you anymore, though! All that brain matter was hell to clean up.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: July 08, 2013, 10:52:22 am »

I've noticed a few bugs, although I'm not playing the latest version so I don't know if some of these have been resolved, but I haven't seen them mentioned:

-Trying to throw anything at smoker zombies simply performs no action.  No message, item doesn't leave my inventory, etc, just giving commands and nothing happening.  It's the smoke itself causing the problem, because I can't even throw anything through a smoke cloud.

This was a weird targeting bug where part of the code thought the smoker was visible, but another part disagreed, it should be fixed now.

-You can remove wheels from a vehicle in the dark, but it doesn't transfer experience from pool to skill.

The "changing a tire" operation is kicking in, which has lower requirements, but doesn't practice mechanics.  It's a bit unfortunate in that you can install a brand new functional wheel on a vehicle with just a wrench and a jack, it needs a bit more refinement, probably adding an "axle" component distinct from a wheel.

-Wooden skewers, despite their description, cannot be used for cooking.

Oversight, just filed a bug.

-Multiple vehicles that spawn on top of each other cannot be used for parts, because trying to remove stuff from one of them transfers to the other's menu and says "You removed null part from vehicle", although that might have been because it was a motorcycle on top of a truck.

I fixed the code that prevents vehicles from spawning on top of each other a while back, coordinate translations are a pain.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: July 08, 2013, 11:22:50 am »

As i noticed i nearly never hit anything regardless of the distance with a M4A1 found in town along some .223 ammo, i decided to make some tests with the debug mode to see if i should focus on giving skill point on firearms or on specific type of firearms or both.
Just a note here: Remember that not all weapons are the same!  M4A1 has an accuracy of 7 (higher is bad) and a recoil of 2.  The FN SCAR-L has accuracy 6 and recoil -4.  This means it's firing cone is 1 degree narrower (effectively 2 degrees, since it's mirrored left and right) and recoil builds up much more slowly, so consecutive shots aren't as innacurate.

The gun you really want is the Savage 111F - best accuracy at 4 and best recoil at -11(!) although only 3 clip size and no burst fire, those three shots will essentially always score killing headshots.  You can combine this with various mods - particularly the "battle rifle conversion", "extended clip", and "gyroscopic stabilizer".  Battle rifle adds a burst rate, lowers accuracy, and increases clip size.  Extended clip increases recoil and weight and increases clip size.  Gyroscopic stabilizer increases weight and decreases recoil.  Since the Savage 111F already has tremendously fantastic recoil and accuracy, you can afford to lose some to the mods and end up with a very stable, if low ammo assault rifle platform - that or you go sniper conversion and extended barrel and get enormous damage per shot at any range!

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #4134 on: July 08, 2013, 12:00:15 pm »

It seems saving the game does not deal correctly with NPC that joined you and are following.

To test more, i saved then there, closed Cataclysm, relaunched and loaded , surprise this time my ally is not there...

Not much of a problem as i am just testing around this time, but reporting in case it's some new bug.

I remember a while back there was a problem with the save files not saving completely unless you selected "Quit" in-game after saving. I lost a lot of progress by simply clicking the "X" on the window, even though I'd saved. From what I remember it only affects the world (You'll keep items in your inventory and skill gains), so it might also affect NPCs.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: July 08, 2013, 12:13:51 pm »

Lost a promising character yesterday. Started off near way too many zombies and fungaloids, so I grabbed what I could from the evac shelter and booked it away from them. Found a nice cabin in the woods, killed a Jabberwocky with fire, and basically had a great set-up. I'd found some good stuff in a wrecked helicopter, as well as a pretty decent stash of tools in the cabin itself.

It was great...cxcept for one crippling problem. Very little to drink on me and no water source at all nearby. Then I caught a cold, and ran through all of my meager drink supplies huddled on a bed waiting for it to go away. Eventually I had to head back to town, weak and miserable from the cold.

I was hoping to just sneak into a house and fill up some water bottles from the toilet. I had a stone pot and a fireplace, so cleaning the water would be easy. But, no, I ran straight into a pack of zombies and was too slow to get away from the zombie dogs. Eventually they slowed me down even further and the rest of the zombies caught up. R.I.P.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: July 08, 2013, 12:56:12 pm »

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but when hitting (f)ire and hitting escape while getting prompted to choose an ammo type causes the graphics display to black out while the message log displays an "out of ammo" message. The message log and HUD work fine, only the ASCII display of the environment blacks out.

Not much of a bug, as making any action brings the display back to normal, but it can be annoying and looks unprofessional.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: July 08, 2013, 01:15:32 pm »

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but when hitting (f)ire and hitting escape while getting prompted to choose an ammo type causes the graphics display to black out while the message log displays an "out of ammo" message. The message log and HUD work fine, only the ASCII display of the environment blacks out.

Not much of a bug, as making any action brings the display back to normal, but it can be annoying and looks unprofessional.
It's an issue with when the display is triggered to blit or refresh - DF Adventure had similar problems for a long time.  You should be able to open other menus, like @ or & and close them to refresh.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: July 08, 2013, 03:25:13 pm »

To test more, i saved then there, closed Cataclysm, relaunched and loaded , surprise this time my ally is not there, i mean i see NPC around town in the map (that weren't there when i saved) but my ally does not exist anywhere, i went back all the way to the shelter to see if by any chance she was reset-ed there, but no.

After more play (2 ingame days/night), and then more quit then launch and load, and after exploring another city, i went back to the town i nearly cleared already and ... my lost NPC ally was there !

She's still in green (and so still follow me) and acknowledged that i succeeded the mission she gave me before disappearing .

I wonder what happened then, maybe she didn't got deleted as i thought by the saving and further loading, but probably was teleported far away so she never managed to catch me again while i was looking for her around town. But still i have been back sleeping in the shelter for 2 nights and she never showed up.

And how did she even survived, that's another oddity

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: July 08, 2013, 03:28:32 pm »

Is it common for hospitals to be packed with almost only boomers? Because I've found about 2 of them for every other kind of zombie near and inside one.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 1086