Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859439 times)

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4065 on: July 07, 2013, 12:11:26 am »

I found an inactive manhack on a dead science dude out in a field. I guess I'll save it for an "oh crap" moment, I dunno if it would attack me too if I activated it. Neat little reference to half-Life, though.

I assume I probably don't want to go towards a slime pit on my first day while armed with an iron pipe and no real armor.

EDIT: Oh cool, I also found a flask of mutagen. To quaff or not to quaff.

if you've the robust genetics then sure

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: July 07, 2013, 12:32:20 am »

I didn't pick that perk but that doesn't mean I can't quaff it for the lulz.

Anyway, I aggro'd a zombie brute and was unsuccessful in outrunning it, so I dropped my blazer and lit it on fire before kiting the brute into the fire. It died in 1 turn, by the by.

I doubt I could've taken on a brute on day 1 with anything other than arson via clothing. I gotta thank you guys for that discussion on burning jabberwocks to death, you guys saved the life of one of my more promising characters.

Now I looted a crowbar off the brute; I've got a manhack, I've got a crowbar, I think my dude is the preppy tailor reincarnation of Gordon Freeman right now.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: July 07, 2013, 01:40:48 am »

any fast way to train electronics?

The easiest way to get it up to level 5 is to find What's a Transistor? (in libraries or electronics stores) and Advanced Electronics (in libraries and schools). Robots for Fun and Profit can then bring you up to a beastly level 10, but it's fairly uncommon and requires high intelligence. It's a fantastic thing to read before installing bionics, and at that level it'll allow you to craft some useful bionics as well.

Barring that, disassemble flashlights, mp3 players, radios, and other electronics. Then craft their circuits with each other or make useful stuff like EMP grenades.

I assume I probably don't want to go towards a slime pit on my first day while armed with an iron pipe and no real armor.

While we're on the topic of fire and its awesomeness: a good way of clearing slime pits is to burn the slime. Yeah, it's flammable. It won't always light with just one item, but a molotov will start a raging fire that'll spread over the whole area, allowing you to huddle in a corner with a gas mask and wait it out until everything's ash. Granted, this'll also burn the goodies like marijuana and mutagen that you may find down there (the mutagen might make it, I don't remember), but slime pits are damn annoying. With 10 molotovs and some time, you can have the whole thing burned out. I'm not sure if there's any boss or special goodies at the bottom; maybe the ones I've raided were just boring pits.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: July 07, 2013, 01:49:39 am »

Robots for Fun and Profit can then bring you up to a beastly level 10, but it's fairly uncommon and requires high intelligence.
It actually doesn't require intelligence anymore.  It just takes a lot longer to read if you don't have enough int.  So if you find That One CBM that you HAVE to install right, you can spend a few days reading, then snort some cocaine and manage a decent install rate.

Remember kids, coke bumps stack!  Don't be afraid to take two or three lines, just watch out for your heart exploding :D

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: July 07, 2013, 02:16:03 am »

Wha--- OH! I never even thought of it that way. Fursuits cover everything completely, and normal clothing in Cata only goes up to 95% on the body parts they DO cover. Huh. The wolf suit doesn't provide much armour, does it? I assumed it was more usable like a blanket: a rediculously unwieldly peice of clothing to use during cold nights or wintertime emergencies when heat is more important than running away from things. I didn't think of using it as armour. What's the stats on it again? Does it give blunt force resistance?
...now I'm kicking myself for leaving one behind.

Wouldn't the eye encumberment cause major Per. loss?

Also, beware of the alure of gorging on skill books. Hunger, thirst, fatigue, temperature extremes, and dead batteries are not fun.
...One more level of Electronics, come on! Oooh, look! A book on hand-to-hand combat! ...But what if I NEED it?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: July 07, 2013, 02:20:22 am »

It depends heavily on the mascot costume.

But yes they tend to be just an outright hindrance on the person.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4071 on: July 07, 2013, 02:24:28 am »

The big thing to secure is clean water. Animals spawn quite willingly and with cars everywhere you can easily find one with an enclosed inside so the magic air conditioning works and the headlights will let you read if you want to at night. Water however won't walk right up to you, especially the clean sort. If you have a working vehicle its easier because you can drive to the water.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #4072 on: July 07, 2013, 02:59:43 am »

...magic air conditioning...

Wait, vehicles have air conditioning? Dang, wish I'd known that before.

Do they have heating too?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
  • Qualified.... Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: July 07, 2013, 03:58:27 am »

reincarnation of Gordon Freeman right now.
Just remembered:   You can make professions.

BRB, MAKING A THEORETICAL PHYSICIST.

EDIT: It's gonna be REALLY expensive, but gonna start with hazmat gear (HEV suit), a crowbar (HALF LIFE.), and possibly....    Yes, a science ID card.    Would starting with chemicals/mutagen and purifier be fine?
Gonna post the code on here when I'm done.

EDIT 2: Anyone know the ID's for items?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:12:45 am by Mrnocamera »
Professional shut-in

You don't need to be good at video games anyway, right?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: July 07, 2013, 08:48:30 am »

My god... Slime Pits really are hardcore.  I found one near where I'd set up base and decided to try and clear it out and, barring that, at least keep it contained.  I've since killed about 500 blobs and 600 small blobs.  My hand hurts from firing arrows at them all.

Is there any limit or order to the way they spawn?  I assumed that so long as I killed any I found straying too far from the pit that their influence would remain localized, but they seem to keep spreading at an accelerating pace.  They don't see to be travelling out from the pit, but spawning in absolutely everywhere in an expanding sphere of influence.  I've even cleared out buildings, stepped outside and started fighting outside the building, and then had them swarm at me from the building I just cleared.

I went into the pit and found nothing but some marijuana....?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: July 07, 2013, 08:53:27 am »

I wonder how hard it would be to add mirrors into the game. That would be really useful for vehicles, and you could put them in bathrooms too. Maybe even add a solar mirror fire-lighter (though its really the extra vision im interested in :D)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4076 on: July 07, 2013, 10:39:59 am »

Did you miss the magic part? Basically they have it because they have not yet gotten around to making it a proper system in the game. they wanted sleeping in a car a little nicer then sleeping on the ground. Part of that was making sleeping in chairs better then sleeping on the ground and then they gave the things magic air conditioners as a place holder for some future system. Its like how they have headlights that never stop and don't need power.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: July 07, 2013, 11:20:22 am »

I have been following (as she refused to join me) a random "world" NPC , Grace Washington, (as my best weapon was a rock and she had a SIG it sounded like a good idea to stay with her) that had been a zombie killing machine, at some point the NPC roamed around a city and killed a lot of zombies while i was running around in circle :D .

Then she decided to move into the wilderness, curious to see what she was up to, i continued to move along. At some point we arrived near some military bunker, and of course a turret.
The turret apparently only hated me for some reason so i had to stay a bit away, while the NPC was going close.
And a "zombie soldier" showed up, the NPC as usual unleashed her rain of bullets and each of them were apparently deflected by the zombie armor.

Melee started and the NPC still fired her gun at point blank, and again each bullet were deflected.

At some point the NPC died without having obviously inflicted any damage to that superzombie guy, then the thing came to me and i ... killed it by hitting it with my rock 3 times.

It was rather odd that my newbie character with a puny rock in his hand destroyed that easily this magically bullet immune zombie.

Unfortunately later another "world" NPC that was obviously very paranoid ordered me on sight to drop my threatening rock, i tried to tell him i meant no harm and he just promptly bat-bashed my character to death as a reply.

edit : i forgot, while following the Grace Washington NPC, at some point i ran into this error message that was added to the log :

game.cpp[324]: game::load_npcs Static NPC with no fine location data (-1:11) New loc data (-30:169).

seemed harmless as i could play until my character demise at the hand of some insane other NPC
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:24:58 am by Robsoie »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: July 07, 2013, 11:23:02 am »

This is why I have NPCs disabled.  They're not really... effective, right now.

Also, zombie soldier may have been decked in kevlar.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: July 07, 2013, 11:26:28 am »

Not always effective indeed , but so fun and sometime very helpfull to have around.
Until you run into Urist McInsane that hate you to death for no reason :D
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 1086