Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859981 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #3930 on: July 04, 2013, 08:19:04 pm »

I havent really had a character last more then 36 hours, yet.

I've been playing mostly andriod martial artist.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: July 04, 2013, 08:19:22 pm »

Good news: It turns out that when you're being chased by two Jabberwocks, the two will fight to the death in their haste to kill you.

Bad news: The surviving Jabberwock will still chase you, and it is PISSED.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: July 04, 2013, 08:23:09 pm »

Take martial artist with Krav Maga and start with 4 skill in Unarmed.  You attack much faster, and you block, so incoming damage is minimal.  Get good with windows, and find some hard arm/leg armor, and you can become fierce.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: July 04, 2013, 09:06:57 pm »

Take martial artist with Krav Maga and start with 4 skill in Unarmed.  You attack much faster, and you block, so incoming damage is minimal.  Get good with windows, and find some hard arm/leg armor, and you can become fierce.
My issue so far, is that it seems like backpacks just dont fuckin exist in my world.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3934 on: July 04, 2013, 09:12:33 pm »

Put 4 points in tailoring and take the tailor profession then bash a window in. This will give you a sheet which is 20 rags then use the sewing kit you start with to make a backpack. You can also dissemble the string you get into a lot of thread.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: July 04, 2013, 09:14:22 pm »

My issue so far, is that it seems like backpacks just dont fuckin exist in my world.
Don't use 'em.  Belt rig, Utility Vest, and Army Pants give you like 70+ storage - you are taking Packrat, right?  Big thing is these can be Fitted, which reduces their encumberance.  Add an Underarmor, fitted for -1 Enc, you end up with 0 torso and perfect melee.  If you're hurting for space, you can add another Vest or something.

I know everyone gets a hardon for backpacks because of their massive storage, but they encumber you SO MUCH!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3936 on: July 04, 2013, 09:27:20 pm »

The thing is that if you are not doing melee then they are amazing because torso encumbrance means nothing. Of course the second you let something actually get in range all the penalties from wearing 2 backpacks, 2 military rucksacks, and whatever else you could find will kill you.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: July 04, 2013, 09:35:14 pm »

So... still going with that character I mentioned last.  He has 11 Archery skill, a reflex recurve bow, and 100 metal arrows.  He one-shots everything.  His survival skill is also high enough now that he consistently finds bionics from butchering shocker zombies.  Installed some wolverine claws just before quitting lastnight.  Haven't tried them yet, but I'm expecting they'll be good enough that he won't even need to carry a melee weapon anymore.  I think this is the most powerful character I've managed yet.

I really like the progression for archery.  It's nice and steady.  As mentioned before, though, it does seem crazy powerful.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: July 04, 2013, 09:36:48 pm »

So... still going with that character I mentioned last.  He has 11 Archery skill, a reflex recurve bow, and 100 metal arrows.  He one-shots everything.  His survival skill is also high enough now that he consistently finds bionics from butchering shocker zombies.  Installed some wolverine claws just before quitting lastnight.  Haven't tried them yet, but I'm expecting they'll be good enough that he won't even need to carry a melee weapon anymore.  I think this is the most powerful character I've managed yet.

I really like the progression for archery.  It's nice and steady.  As mentioned before, though, it does seem crazy powerful.
Venture to the places that have basements.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: July 04, 2013, 09:38:48 pm »

You know what the best character I ever had was? He shot wooden shafts and kited zombies like it was a windy day (as instructed by someone on the cataclysm forums) and had a gas station partially surrounded by a ditch. I still don't know how you guys are having raves with giant worms, and I haven't managed to build a fireplace. Mind you, I'm not complaining, but I feel like a major scrub when it comes to this game.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: July 04, 2013, 09:53:31 pm »

I'll admit, I have been very lucky.  I've taken out 3 Jabberwocks.  The one I mentioned earlier that I stunlocked wth headshots.  Then two at the same time with a molotov.  I haven't seen a single hulk or giant worm.  Haven't encountered any labs or basements to explore and get myself killed in.  I've just been clearing out suburbs and breaking stuff in houses for materials to beef up my mundane skills.  At least 4 levels in my archery skill is just from smashing metal display racks in grocery stores and mass producing metal arrow components.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: July 04, 2013, 09:55:14 pm »

I'll admit, I have been very lucky.  I've taken out 3 Jabberwocks.  The one I mentioned earlier that I stunlocked wth headshots.  Then two at the same time with a molotov.  I haven't seen a single hulk or giant worm.  Haven't encountered any labs or basements to explore and get myself killed in.  I've just been clearing out suburbs and breaking stuff in houses for materials to beef up my mundane skills.  At least 4 levels in my archery skill is just from smashing metal display racks in grocery stores and mass producing metal arrow components.
Your goal now is to break racks using a vehicle.  In fact, make a vehicle so that you can venture forth and find new dangers!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: July 04, 2013, 09:58:31 pm »

I should get around to making a vehicle soon.  It's something I've tried to get started on, but never actually accomplished in Cataclysm.  And I'm hitting a point where I really need some mobile storage.

I haven't tried it since the world became heavily populated with abandoned vehicles.  I imagine it's much easier to gather parts now.  Unfortunately, I haven't found a welder yet, even though I've found 3 garages.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: July 04, 2013, 10:06:46 pm »

Hardware stores can have welders too, if you haven't been checking.  But yes, it's much easier to find parts, especially engines, solar panels, and steel paneling.  Ripping up car chassis will result in a lot of steel frames and plates, which make excellent armor and rooftops, so it's not unreasonable to produce a massive, if slow, 'land fortress'.  Especially neat because if you've designed it right, you can make strategic use of doors and aisles, so that you simply roll into an intersection, open the doors (or else zombies will bash them), and run along the aisles while the zombies remain staggered in the more difficult sections.  If you're a ranged fighter, you can EASILY make an overpowered firing platform, utilizing a lot of empty Frames to slow enemies down, that they can't bash through.  It's like a mobile set of window frames!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: July 04, 2013, 10:09:15 pm »

Weirdly enough I had the same garage problem with my current character, and ended up finding a welder in a barn, of all places. One of the garages had 8 sets of welding goggles, just to taunt me.

Incidentally, don't put a 5 liter V6 engine on a motorcycle without any plating or other weight on it... 0-80 mph in three keystrokes. I ended up almost dying when I hit an ant at 240 mph and flew into a prison wall.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 1086