Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861500 times)

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #3615 on: June 28, 2013, 12:40:29 pm »

so you need to find a vorpal sword to kill the jabberwock in the new version?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: June 28, 2013, 12:41:05 pm »

so you need to find a vorpal sword to kill the jabberwock in the new version?

As suggested, high explosives (also bullets. also fire.) may be better :)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: June 28, 2013, 02:14:22 pm »

Using a LAW to kill a Jabberwock, reminds me of the "fire wand" from Zero no Tsukaima :D

It's technically much easier to have a safety as a firing mode instead of an activate, though I admit having to use a different interface for the safety vs switching fire modes might more accurately model the situation you're trying to depict ;)
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: June 28, 2013, 02:59:17 pm »

is it just me? jabberwocks get me every time, pretty much. maybe they spawn more often around LMOEs?

tried mollies, made one just as the jabberwock broke down the door to the gas station. then i threw it without lighting it. herp derp.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: June 28, 2013, 03:28:25 pm »

Jabberwocks spawn in forest tiles, and as of 0.6, way too often.
It has been corrected since.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: June 28, 2013, 03:34:39 pm »

I find trucks generally tend to mow em down, but then again, not much can survive a truck to the face.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: June 28, 2013, 03:58:27 pm »

Yeah. Especially harmless little woodland creatures.

I'm really puzzled as to why the squirrels don't pass safely underneath the car... they always seem to jump just so they can be killed by my front bumper.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: June 28, 2013, 03:59:43 pm »

Perhaps bumpers are just really low in Cataclysm verse?

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: June 28, 2013, 04:01:42 pm »

That, or rabbits and squirrels have suicidal tendencies. I'm just going to go with that, because it's much more amusing.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: June 28, 2013, 04:03:28 pm »

Well, after the cataclysm, squirrels and rabbits aren't exactly suited for the new world.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3625 on: June 28, 2013, 04:15:29 pm »

What if there is only scent but the scent along with some strength score would also have a source ID and when scent spreads it just uses whichever source is stronger. The downside of course is that you can't have a scent of rotten meat under which you catch a slight wiff of plant matter.
Yea this is more or less what I was thinking, but it means that you have to accumulate the strengths of the surrounding tiles in the diffusion step and then decide which one is strongest instead of just summing them, and this happens in an inner-inner loop that's frequently a bottleneck for the game.  This is nowhere near as bad as having multiple independent scentmaps, and I'm not sure how valuable being able to smell multiple scents would be, or if its even reasonable to give that ability to unaugmented humans.  We can and do have bionics and muations for enhancing scent sensitivity, but then it's a question of slowing the entire game down in order to support optional abilities.

Also problematic is that this bottleneck would be enlarged multiplicatively by the merged z-level feature since we'd want to start diffusing in 3D.  So keeping an eye out for that as well.
   Your right, scent would cause a big problem in 3D. One way I could see of keeping this down is to not keep track of it tile by tile but rather have an area where it is tracked in like how Minecraft has chunks. This would reduce the granularity of the system though depending on how big an area each "chunk" is you would be reducing the number of calculations by quite a bit. The only problem I can see now that I think about it is that besides some of the far roaming stuff which appears away from its source area anything of interest you would be able to smell you can also see on the map. What good is smelling gasoline if you already have the station on the map. The only point of it at that point would be tracking specific types of zombies and that would need a tile by tile diffusion and thus we are back to square one. The more I think about the problems and what it would provide all I can see is that you would need to seriously nerf how the automap works to make smells useful for map features like a gas station. I actually have rewritten this post a number of times with a few different ways of working with the tile by tile and section by section method but in the end I think it might be better to just drop it. The benefits would not provide something worthwhile for the cost in performance and the best way I found to get around that would not be worth it because of the characters sight radius and apparent x-ray vision when it comes to mapping.
   Any traits that let you have better sense of smell should instead work like the infrared vision but instead of showing exactly where stuff is with a red ? it shows where any creature with a scent is and represents them with a symbol depending on what they smell like, most zombies could be a z with the normal zombie color, a few specials might be identifiable by scent and thus have their own colors though skeletons should not show up, carnivore animals could be something like a red C, herbivores could be an h of some color, the fungus and triffids could be a 'p' of some sort and better levels of being able to smell would give the fungoids a red f maybe, strange creatures you would not have experienced could be red ! so stuff like the Cthulhu stuff, and if you had a strong enough sense of smell things like the burrowing wurms and graboids may show up. It could also be in a somewhat random place like how the noise markers are and if you manage to get both inf vision and the smelling trait it pinpoints where with the symbol. Robots and such of course should never show up along with some other things.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: June 28, 2013, 04:18:18 pm »

This doesn't have jamming and misfires yet, does it? I haven't made my own ammo, but if I did I'd fully expect it to have a higher chance of failure over a manufactured round. And eventually firearms upkeep should influence rate of jamming and the like as well.

I don't know why I suggest making things harder when I can't survive too much longer than a week or so at best.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: June 28, 2013, 04:28:17 pm »

I really hope we get at least an option for directional vision, because that will make hearing and smell much more important, as well as making the game a lot more interesting.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: June 28, 2013, 04:30:54 pm »

I really hope we get at least an option for directional vision, because that will make hearing and smell much more important, as well as making the game a lot more interesting.

I think z-levels and the stealth system will do the same, to be honest, without the annoying mechanical details.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: June 28, 2013, 05:20:49 pm »

My third character survived the first day!  Technically!

I'm not sure fumbling around in the dark dying from an infected wound really counts though.  Wishful thinking dictated it might recover so I took cover in a house for the night.  But the wiki and my constant vomiting indicated it would not, so I stumbled out into the night and was swarmed.  I also took about twenty aspirin over the course of the day, which is probably how I wasn't crippled by pain.

Edit: Oh look, a plastic bottle of disinfectant.  That sure would have come in handy in a past life...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 07:39:28 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 1086