Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861549 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #360 on: January 13, 2013, 03:32:24 am »

There's a thread somewhere or other about playing on Android. I have no Android nor iOS devices, so porting to them is rather beyond my ken.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 13, 2013, 05:13:35 am »

I got an iPhone but i need an apple computer to compile for it.
Fuck Apple.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 13, 2013, 05:16:19 am »

Fuck Google too. I installed an update, and now the interface is fucked up. And by that I mean fucked up like only google can fuck things up. They resized ALL the widgets, so now there's no way I can have a neatly organized front page anymore, because a clock takes up almost an entire page and can't be resized. Oh, and you can't read the % of battery left from the drop-down (it used to be pop-up, but they moved it to the top) anymore.

And I guess an android port would require some other things to be solved first, like the fixed screen size.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #363 on: January 13, 2013, 05:48:33 am »

My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 13, 2013, 08:11:38 am »

Hmm cant you guys also increase vehicle spawning in garages and possibly make mansions have garages?
Also cant you just make wrecked vehicle pregens and have them spawn very rarely on normal roads and very common on highways?

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 14, 2013, 01:42:05 am »

Yeah, if something like a zombie apocalypse happened IRL the highways would be absolutely choked with derelict cars
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 14, 2013, 02:31:54 am »

Reposting from the suggestions forum with my newest idea, since it was inspired by the above post: Metal Eaters / Junk Gluttons

You may have noticed a distinct lack of cars lying around. It does seem a bit strange if everyone ended up as zombies, no?

There's also the interesting fact that we have no idea what the X does to certain species of animals - only to humans and bugs.

This is an opportunity.

I present, in the form of one of my old-old-forum style "desire stories", the following suggestion...

He leans against the wall, breathing heavily. He'd lost the zombies a few blocks back, but didn't stop running until he was sure. Sure that they weren't still following him.

As his breathing quiets, he notices a faint sound at the edge of his hearing. A rasping sound, the sounds of a nail file on a rusty pipe. An unfamiliar sound. He puts out a hand, steadies himself against the wall. Part of him screams that he should just run. But he has to know. He can't afford to not know.

Across the street, a half dozen hunched forms, each a foot and a half to a foot in length, gather round the rusted corpse of a '64 Chevy. Long, rough tongues reach out from misshapen snouts, stroking the metal, catching flakes of rust of and steel, dragging it past blackened and oddly angled teeth into their dark red mouths. An upright, pointed ear twitches, sending a curious fly buzzing away from the creature as it leans back, stretching under the sunlight, before hunching down once more.

It's rust-red fur diffuses the sunlight, sparse except where it gathers together in thick patches, it's skin sickly pale underneath visible through the thinner areas. Suddenly, the mass of them, the whole half dozen, seem to freeze. The ears twitch, almost in unison, and turn towards him, pivoting first atop the skull before the heads slowly follow, beady black eyes focusing on his presence.

He freezes. Holds his breath. The creatures watch. Wait. One moves to turn back, his tongue already greedily reaching out towards the rusted steel, when the man makes the mistake of loosing his held breath.

In a flash, one of them jumps, on short but surprisingly strong legs, to the roof of the car, hissing in his direction, it's fur bristling, it's body arched as it splays itself across the roof, long thin fingers at the end of long, bent limbs, finding purchase at the edges. The black, wrinkled leather that reaches from it's arms to its body is dotted with pockmarks, sores and blisters that look to have rusted over. And then, in the next second, it's aloft, and it's companions with it. In a staggered, grotesque parody of flight, they come to rest on the roof of a nearby building, watching him warily but not willing to abandon their meal.

The man steps from his hiding place, knowing it's clear he's been spotted - and he finds himself glad to have discovered at least one monstrosity that does not seem interested in his imminent death. And then he notices , through the half-eaten door frame of the vehicle, the rifle.

What kind of rifle, he doesn't know. But it is a weapon. He casts his eyes from the waiting metal eaters to the car, and then back again.

He inches closer. Then steps. Some more steps, and he's nearly there, the creatures seemingly content to watch.

That's when he notices the rasping sound. Similar to the many he heard before, but louder. Harder. He blinks, and a shadow falls on him, as the final hunched creature, it's body hidden by the bulk of the car, finishes it's long stroke and looks at him. It's flattened snout and gnarled teeth are reminiscent of the others, but the head is larger. Much larger. A claw lifts from the ground, planting itself on the roof, a not-so-slender arm trailing shredded leather pressing the gnarled, muscled, nearly hairless body of the creature up and into view. It leans forward, the metal distorting slightly as it shifts it's weight to the arm.

It licks it's lips.

The man runs. The Glutton follows. The man may not be metal, but one can not live on metal alone.

A short while later, the eaters work their way back to the ground, taking turns rasping the steel from the corpse of the car and the flesh from the corpse of the dead man, working their way to the delicious bones.

Today, at least, they were eating well.

So what are Metal Eaters and Junk Gluttons? The mutated, revivified forms of the common Little Brown Bat.

The Metal Eater is a relatively cautious scavenger, weighing maybe 8 pounds, who will not generally try to attack players (unless attracted or angered somehow). They gather around wrecked vehicles and other sources of easily broken down metal, turning them to nothing but dust over the course of a day, occasionally leaving some piece of scrap behind to leave in search of a new meal. They do not live solely on metal, and can digest other things, but it makes up the bulk of their diet. They can fly, although not well, and their bite and claws can do a decent amount of damage.

The Junk Glutton is larger. Much larger. Weighing over 300 pounds, this version of the creature occurs in roughly one out of every dozen metal eaters. It has lost the ability to fly, it's wings unable to cope with the changes in it's body, but it's more than made up for in it's fast landpseed, vicious bite, and well muscled limbs. It is far more aggressive in defending it's meals and adding to them, and while it does not prioritize hunting for living food, it won't turn down the opportunity.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 14, 2013, 04:44:35 am »

Id love that sorta thing. Id also loved crashed UFOs and squads of aliens. Actually extraterrestial news reporters and catastrophe tourists, but their security crew has a hard time distinguishing man from zombie. Not only that, they are also quite pissed about their crashed UFO.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 14, 2013, 07:03:40 am »

I don't think I would like 'Junk Gluttons'. Maybe call them something else, because in my mind the word 'glutton' may only be applied to wolverines.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 14, 2013, 07:54:59 am »

What the hell "glutton" have to do with wolverines?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 14, 2013, 08:04:08 am »

From Wikipedia: The wolverine, pronounced /ˈwʊlvəriːn/, Gulo gulo (Gulo is Latin for "glutton"), also referred to as glutton
Only a simple mind can be certain.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 14, 2013, 08:05:17 am »

Weird. I didn't even think Wolverines were that gluttonous?

ComputerWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 14, 2013, 08:06:57 am »

From Wikipedia: The wolverine, pronounced /ˈwʊlvəriːn/, Gulo gulo (Gulo is Latin for "glutton"), also referred to as glutton
Not to mention they are also referred to as skunk bears for some reason.
Aye, but when you play a fighter, only doors will know fear in your presence.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 14, 2013, 08:50:03 am »

As us danes say: A dear child bears many names

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 14, 2013, 12:43:21 pm »

I would love the idea of something that runs around eating metal.  Especially if they were actually dangerous to a person in a car. 

Right now it seems like if you come across anything while in a car you just run it over and everything is fine.  The only things that seem to get even moderately damaged by an impact with a creature are headlights.  Even hitting a hulk dosn't do enough damage to your car to justify getting out to try to fight it the old way, and a big enough car can plow straight through a queen trifflid, instaforest and all, with little damage.

Be nice if we could have a creature that not only has a modified AI such that it will actively target objects over the player, such as store shelving, metal wreckage and car sections, but is somehow able to do enough damage when hit by a car to make the repair time not worth the easy kill.

p.s. Why can I not get the langoliers out of my head now?  Be awesome, but they wouldn't really fit I guess, what with them being related to time travel, and eating everything, not just metal.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:47:35 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 1086