Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864248 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2865 on: May 19, 2013, 10:20:14 pm »

[insert rant about the nonsensical nature of what you just said]
   And this is why sometimes people need to just agree to disagree and your way of thinking makes my brain hurt.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2866 on: May 19, 2013, 11:46:04 pm »

Hey, was speaking for myself, not everyone- like I said, gameplay preference. If you'd like to elaborate or to hear further pontification, I welcome the ranting via PM good sir.

Sooo, Coke or Meth?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: May 20, 2013, 01:15:47 am »

the debug menu
I avoid that like the plague.
Um, Why?
Just a gameplay preference. I can rationalize giving myself a better start, but utilizing a tool as powerful as the debug menu breaks immersion, tempts me with it's delicious wiles and in so doing devalues the crap outta my gameplay experience.
So I pretend it doesn't exist.
Personally the only thing that I use the debug menu for is to give my character a backpack at the start of the game. I mean without the game becomes virtually unplayable, and I know that personally I would be grabbing a backpack or at least a messenger bag of some sort if I was being evacuated.

As for the coke vs meth discussion, I tend to avoid them both. I prefer picking up the addictive personality trait at start, so I try to avoid any type of drugs if possible.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2868 on: May 20, 2013, 01:25:00 am »

I have found as of late that the wannabe mechanic profession is a good middle ground for starting out. Overall its nice because for 2 points I get instant storage and a book which can let me learn up to level 3 mechanics. Of course I don't bother cramming all 3 levels in to begin with, just the first level so I can make a crowbar. I actually like it better then just starting with a point in mechanics because reading the book gives me a good pool of XP wheres starting with the skill just means when I head out right away and don't gain much from the first few things I end up doing. I tried the tailor profession but I ended up just going back to putting 4 points into the skill because reading the book to level 3 at the start would make you very hungry and very thirsty which isn't worth it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2869 on: May 20, 2013, 01:31:23 am »

On horrible drugs: Addiction > death
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: May 20, 2013, 10:03:05 am »

Sooo, Coke or Meth?
On horrible drugs: Addiction > death

story of your average post-apocalyptic survivor

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: May 20, 2013, 11:01:14 am »

I don't really use drugs/ stims/ buffs in any game I've ever play, I always forget to use them and they never seem to make much of a difference anyways, either the fight is winnable or it's not, there is very rarely some margin where they really come in handy and you usually end up with some lingering hangover/ withdraw debuff that becomes a liability for the next fight.

Same in this game, by the time I think to use drugs to get out of a bad situation, it's already too late and the pack of zombie dogs or brutes is already brutally mauling me while I'm trying to light my crack pipe or whatever. Or I use them before hand and end up not needing it, only to have withdraw symptoms when I do. I just take addictive personality and do without them.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: May 20, 2013, 11:02:51 am »

I don't really use drugs/ stims/ buffs in any game I've ever play, I always forget to use them and they never seem to make much of a difference anyways, either the fight is winnable or it's not, there is very rarely some margin where they really come in handy and you usually end up with some lingering hangover/ withdraw debuff that becomes a liability for the next fight.

Same in this game, by the time I think to use drugs to get out of a bad situation, it's already too late and the pack of zombie dogs or brutes is already brutally mauling me while I'm trying to light my crack pipe or whatever. Or I use them before hand and end up not needing it, only to have withdraw symptoms when I do. I just take addictive personality and do without them.
It doesn't take that long to snort a line of coke. As soon as you see an overwhelming force you do your drugs and GTFO.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: May 20, 2013, 11:11:38 am »

When playing any of the Fallout games, I'd always get to a critical point half way through when I'd got an inventory full of half forgotten stimulants, I'd be down to one HP, surrounded by radscorpions or raiders, facing certain death, and so (in later versions where eating takes no time) I'd chow down my entire inventory of 30+ substances in one foul gluttonous swoop. Usually did the trick.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2874 on: May 20, 2013, 11:43:25 am »

Hey guys: is there cowboy getup in the new release? Dusters/hats/boots? There should be...
Badges of honor

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: May 20, 2013, 12:04:34 pm »

Hey guys: is there cowboy getup in the new release? Dusters/hats/boots? There should be...

The original game is set in the New England states. Not much call for cowboys.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2876 on: May 20, 2013, 12:11:04 pm »

Not much call for cowboys.
Heresy!
Badges of honor

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #2877 on: May 20, 2013, 12:24:55 pm »

Except for lobster cowboys. In post-apocalyptic New England, the vacant strip malls and coastal tourist traps will be home to the fabled lobsterados, those grizzled and lonely free spirits whose only companions are the ten foot long crustaceans they have painstakingly separated from the roaming lobster-herds to serve as their trusty mounts. Of course, most of the lobsterados are missing a limb or two, or at the very least several digits, but that doesn't mean they should be underestimated.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:28:46 pm by Lord Dullard »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: May 20, 2013, 12:36:45 pm »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2879 on: May 20, 2013, 12:37:39 pm »

Except for lobster cowboys. In post-apocalyptic New England, the vacant strip malls and coastal tourist traps will be home to the fabled lobsterados, those grizzled and lonely free spirits whose only companions are the ten foot long crustaceans they have painstakingly separated from the roaming lobster-herds to serve as their trusty mounts. Of course, most of the lobsterados are missing a limb or two, or at the very least several digits, but that doesn't mean they should be underestimated.
Well, I know what I'm working on once we have NPCs functioning.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 1086