Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864085 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2775 on: May 17, 2013, 05:58:44 pm »

Is there a way to hook two vehicles together? I found a truck that I remade into a mobile base crawler and wanted to hook my speeder bike to it.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2776 on: May 17, 2013, 06:12:32 pm »

I think the idea of metal arrow heads and such can be answered by splitting the basic crafting up for the stuff. The basic thing you would craft is an arrow shaft or bolt. Next you can either sharpen them for the normal item or apply a metal head to it. You can probably just have a generic metal arrow head you can craft and apply to either bolts or arrows. With this setup if later you want to make stone tipped or what have you it would be easier since the crafting process is already in place.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: May 17, 2013, 06:20:23 pm »

Now that a lot of things have become moddable outside of fiddling with the source; making a quick mod that allows you to craft metal bolts is fairly simple.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: May 17, 2013, 06:32:30 pm »

Just had an awesome start, going through ~10 houses in a huge suburb without any zombies, finding a group of dead scientists and few skillbooks. Set up in an evac shelter and sleep for the night. In the morning I open the door and OHDEARGODSFUCKINGBEARINMYFACEDONOTWANT! Throw molotov after being mauled half to death, ninja bear dodges and refuses to go into fire. I manage to flee into shelter and lick my wounds for the night.

After a day, open door. Guess what bear have been fucking besieging me through the night? That's right, ninja bear. It gets into the shelter and mauls me to death in less than five turns.

Damn ninja bears.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: May 17, 2013, 06:47:26 pm »

Is there a way to hook two vehicles together? I found a truck that I remade into a mobile base crawler and wanted to hook my speeder bike to it.
Other then disassembling one and welding it to the other? Not that I know of.

Damn ninja bears.
A useful idea: Open the curtains on one of your windows and take a look outside before opening the door. A little bit dangerous in areas filled with zombies, but it will allow you to not open the door and have a bear in your face.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: May 17, 2013, 06:52:41 pm »

Anyone have any idea on how wheels work? I took off the 13" motorbike wheels on my bike and replaced them with 19" motorbike wheels yet the vehicle got slower and used more gas.

The only other difference is "Dynamics" which also got lower.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: May 17, 2013, 07:01:52 pm »

Damn ninja bears.
A useful idea: Open the curtains on one of your windows and take a look outside before opening the door. A little bit dangerous in areas filled with zombies, but it will allow you to not open the door and have a bear in your face.
can't you also peek out your door? I haven't messed around with peeking much yet, however.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: May 17, 2013, 07:04:55 pm »

Bigger wheels mean more weight. On a truck with a huge engine, its probably not much of an issue. On a motorbike with a small engine, it probably is. Try installing a bigger engine.

Also, now that window light matters, a construction to use rebar or something to add bars to a window would be nice. Make it so it lets light and sight through, but resilient enough that only a hulk or something could break through it. Plus add a use for rebar.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:25:46 pm by Kaitol »

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: May 17, 2013, 07:27:27 pm »

Damn ninja bears.
can't you also peek out your door? I haven't messed around with peeking much yet, however.

I could, had the bear not materialized in the doorway the moment I opened it (it was right outside). :P

Regarding curtains, yeah, I've done that in the past, but this time I figured I'd try taping up all the windows so that I wouldn't get legions of wildlife outside after every night. That's what I get for trying to be careful, I guess.

Is there a way to un-tape windows, by the way? It might come in handy in the future.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: May 17, 2013, 08:51:07 pm »

You might be able to disassemble them and then rebuild the window in the same spot, but other then that I don't know of any way to untape a window.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: May 17, 2013, 09:17:28 pm »

I couldn't help but notice some threads on the DDA forums regarding the impending/planned multi-Z-level rewrite. In a nutshell, existing hacks using existing code is insufficient for all the desired features, and the general comparison of what "we need" kept floating back to Dwarf Fortress's implementation of coordinates. Seems like the re-write is still in the early planning stages.

I wonder if Toady would be willing to share or detail anything regarding the implementation of the Z-level re-write for DF? Even so much as pseudo-code or an overview of the structure for implementing the coordinate and pathing systems. Couldn't hurt to ask. I know he's not to keen on having others help him with his project, but I'm sure he has a LOT of insight on the subject at this point he could help others with.

And I still think that if you're going to completely re-write the coordinate and display systems:
Isometric
Isometric
Isometric
Isometric with sprite/tile support and visible terrain and structure damage. Ohohoh yes.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: May 17, 2013, 09:28:38 pm »

Three bugs:

Whenever you attempt to mod a vehicle and there are too many items applicable (I tested with steel frames and the number seems to be around 26), the game will crash.

The screen randomly blacks out permanently whenever I try to mod a vehicle. No idea what causes it.
Edit: Pressing the spacebar seems to knock it out of it.

After you remove a part from a vehicle, you can also remove a part that's normally impossible to remove due to having something attached to it. This doesn't seem to work 100% of the time.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:36:28 pm by Blaze »

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: May 18, 2013, 12:06:29 am »

I'm I the only one that doesn't care about multiple Z-levels and all that? I'm happy with the system the way it is.

Also, whats the word with the lag when playing 0.5 on windows? Is there a bugfix out for this yet? On the same note, would it be possible to disable the animations? I don't like how slow it makes shooting and driving.

Noticing that the size of the map file seems to balloon to absurd sizes. I had not even got to day 10 on a guy when the map file was 37+ MB.

Anyways, love this game. It almost makes me want to learn how to code so I can contribute something.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2788 on: May 18, 2013, 12:21:46 am »

The thing is we already have Z-levels but they don't work. Each level is a thing unto itself which is bad and a lot of people want things like skyscrapers and giant pits in the ground. That and they want to build a tower as high as they can then get a cat all the way to the top and push it off.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: May 18, 2013, 01:05:18 am »

Also, whats the word with the lag when playing 0.5 on windows? Is there a bugfix out for this yet? On the same note, would it be possible to disable the animations? I don't like how slow it makes shooting and driving.
I believe that a fix that should at least partially remove the problem is currently waiting for one of the devs to push it into the main version.

And I remember seeing the animation code at one point and it seemed like it would be possible to remove it, but I don't remember where it was off the top of my head, nor do I know if doing so would potentially break anything.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 1086