Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863971 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2730 on: May 15, 2013, 01:21:24 pm »

If yoj can "win" at a roguelike without objectives, its not a roguelike.
Generally 0.5 made the game way too fucking easy adding cars everywhere.
Wrecks are supposed to be wrecks for christs sake. The wreck generator is not random or cruel enough..

So, you think it's too easy, eh? I'm sure you'll be glad to know that it seems like remedying that is basically priority #1 for the next version. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Mwahahahaha.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: May 15, 2013, 02:03:40 pm »

Ahhh, I'm pretty sure Dapper McJester(LP link) has reached the very top in this game. A hot, cooked meal, classical music on his MP3 player, and a bottle of hot tea. I don't think this character can do anything more at this point, he has basically won.

If there's no more challenge left for him, a true gentleman would just start over to experience challenge again!

As much as I want to see some of the new stuff in the 0.5 release... I don't want to end McJester before his time.

I'll give him a chance to meet some gruesomely awesome end at least. And on the plus side, by the time he does die, the code will have advanced even further :)

May I suggest the secret project in the labs?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: May 15, 2013, 04:42:02 pm »

Idea, have wrecks trunks and stuff have random items in them. After all, very few people just carry everything with them, and put some stuff in cars.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: May 15, 2013, 08:35:49 pm »

Honestly, to me I think roguelike players are like Count Hasimir Fenring of Dune. Experienced players can get to the top of the game, like the Count can murder a person, but they derive the fun from finding how many different ways they can reach their goal. (Like first killing a person with a knife, then with a rubber ducky, then with a cup of tea, and so forth)
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: May 15, 2013, 09:17:54 pm »

I just found a nearly intact Pickup, all that it needs is another wheel (Though it can still run with the 3 19" wheels it has).

About 3 screens north of it there were 3 broken down vehicles which I took apart to make something resembling a short speeder bike.

The wreck feature definitely needs a bit of tweaking, but I like it so far.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: May 15, 2013, 09:24:15 pm »

The wrecks sort of nerf vehicles, because they create such congestion in the towns, it's not as easy to hop into a truck and mop up town with it's fender anymore. On that note, I'd like to see vehicle collisions less buggy. Hitting a car with your car creates this bizarre billards situation with vehicles blasting off at mach 9 on impact and slamming into each other and bouncing back. Crashes the game sometimes too.

The wrecks should be more like piled up, tangled and impenetrable messes your vehicle can get stuck into.

Now that we have wrecks everywhere we kinda need more variety in vehicles and the existing ones should probably be redone. Bear-proofing the flatbed comes to mind. Might need more kinds of enemies that can pose a threat to a player in a vehicle, or make vehicles vulnerable in a way to typical monsters. Not sure how though, maybe masses of zombies slow down the vehicle more, or vehicles lose traction/ control on all the slippery, slippery corpses. Zombies might be able to break windshields and doors better, hitting zombies at ramming speed might blind the driver, or their bodies go through the windshield instead of under the vehicle, or pull the player's arms off the steering wheel, I dunno.

Using vehicles to run down zombies is immensely fun and should be viable, just not as easy as it is now.

Also, unrelated thought, the world should get progressively ruinous and more difficult to survive in as time progresses. Maybe actually make it easier in the first season, then fungaloids and such things appear in the summer, roving hoards of zombies appear later, more threatening types of monsters appear. To keep the game fresh for long surviving survivors and maybe to make things interesting for the hermit-types that otherwise meek out existence in the wilderness indefinitely, trouble should go find players that don't look for trouble.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: May 15, 2013, 09:28:51 pm »

Just icrease the amount of damage the car receive from running over stuff depending on size. Running over a squirrel shouldnt damage the car as much as running over say a bear. Speed should be a factor too. Sure mowing down zombie is fun but right now moving at 20mph in a town is fast enough to avoid all the wreck and mow down zombies at the same time.

Unless you apply proper platings to your cars, running over zombie should be a little more damaging to the said cars.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2737 on: May 16, 2013, 11:22:34 am »

then with a cup of tea, and so forth

Nice reference you snuck in there.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: May 16, 2013, 11:59:02 am »

idea: put the names of cities, towns, villages?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: May 16, 2013, 12:05:54 pm »

Town names are in. They're just used in the weather reports for now, I believe.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: May 16, 2013, 12:13:24 pm »

Should have signs telling about that shit.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: May 16, 2013, 12:14:32 pm »

One of the devs said that signs were meant to be in the release, but they didn't have enough time to put it in. I imagine it'll be in the next one, though.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: May 16, 2013, 12:49:59 pm »

I'm hopeful LSD and poison/fume based hallucionations/fever dreams are being worked on, this game desperately needs a whole framework for tripping balls. Would be immensely entertaining !

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: May 16, 2013, 01:03:45 pm »

Have you tried eating the hallucinogenic mushrooms?

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: May 16, 2013, 01:04:17 pm »

Have you tried eating any mushrooms?
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 1086