Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1078 1079 [1080] 1081 1082 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1829105 times)

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #16185 on: March 03, 2015, 08:14:19 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I might have severely underestimated the size of my city. I think I'll give up the idea of clearing it for now. Gonna hunt for science Ids instead.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16186 on: March 03, 2015, 08:48:57 pm »

Decent chance it might be far bigger than even that. Cities can get really big.

I remember one that took me an entire day to drive from one end to the other on a straight road in a sports car.
Nothing important here, move along.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16187 on: March 03, 2015, 09:19:07 pm »

Decent chance it might be far bigger than even that. Cities can get really big.

I remember one that took me an entire day to drive from one end to the other on a straight road in a sports car.
A bit of scouting seems to indicate that you're right.

And something extremely weird happened. I stupidly died from inhaling a bit of smoke, but the game crashed when I was about to quit. When I returned, I noticed that I didn't loose my character, instead returning to the last autosave. I also found my own corpse ???

Looks like the game want me to continue that character  :P

Edit: It seems that the world did not revert to the last autosave, while my character did. I guess the game had finished saving the former but not the latter.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:24:35 pm by FArgHalfnr »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16188 on: March 03, 2015, 09:24:54 pm »

And something extremely weird happened. I stupidly died from inhaling a bit of smoke, but the game crashed when I was about to quit. When I returned, I noticed that I didn't loose my character, instead returning to the last autosave. I also found my own corpse ???

Looks like the game want me to continue that character

And so the first C:DDA creepypasta was born.

Firetrout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16189 on: March 03, 2015, 09:44:54 pm »

And the mass replication of objects was born.

blazing glory

« Reply #16190 on: March 03, 2015, 09:47:07 pm »

When I returned, I noticed that I didn't loose my character, instead returning to the last autosave. I also found my own corpse ???
That happens when when you die and the game is exited before you get to the main menu.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #16191 on: March 03, 2015, 09:49:02 pm »

World state is saved almost constantly.
Player state only happens at autosaves and exits.
This is why multiplayer is currently sort of possible.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16192 on: March 03, 2015, 09:57:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The city really is much bigger than expected  :(. At least it doesn't seems to be completely overrun so far.

Yaaaay?  :-\

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16193 on: March 03, 2015, 10:14:44 pm »

Its not the first, although its the first in a long, long while thats shown up here.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16194 on: March 03, 2015, 10:22:44 pm »

That's something that's hapened to me when I intentionally savescum. Its because the game processes your character's death on the world level instantly, but takes a while to change/delete your character's save game. Since you can interrupt this process, either on porpoise or accidentally, that leads to additional corpses hapening. The obvious use of this bug is as an infinite food supply. Start with the Cannibal trait. Kill yourself, but exit the game before its done doing its thing. Load your game. Butcher your corpse. Enjoy!
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16195 on: March 03, 2015, 10:39:56 pm »

Hmm. So, how much sense would it make to have some kind of self sustaining robot faction? I'm thinking something pretty crude, which would be mostly limited to being a minor player.
Lots.  We'd love to have an actual robot faction.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #16196 on: March 03, 2015, 10:40:54 pm »

That's something that's hapened to me when I intentionally savescum. Its because the game processes your character's death on the world level instantly, but takes a while to change/delete your character's save game. Since you can interrupt this process, either on porpoise or accidentally, that leads to additional corpses hapening. The obvious use of this bug is as an infinite food supply. Start with the Cannibal trait. Kill yourself, but exit the game before its done doing its thing. Load your game. Butcher your corpse. Enjoy!
If you're using Cannibal, then it doesn't matter if you savescum. Being that characters are generated in the same world, you're free to start and suicide as many as you want, and as long as you get the main character to the suicidal's shelter before it rots to nothing (assuming player corpses do even. I've no experience with this particular tactic,) then you'll have that "free" food at no cost or direct risk to your main character.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16197 on: March 03, 2015, 10:54:29 pm »

Autocannibalism is the key to world hunger! I used the corpses of my previous characters as a food source once. The massive amount of dead npc's also helped.

I will remember this day for the rest of my life. All started when I was raiding a smoke-filled house in Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Everything seemed to go well as usual, except for one small, yet critical detail. My torso was already pretty wounded, and coughing made those wounds go worse. My state was critical when I noticed, and so I rushed to my house to grab some medical supplies. I lost that character as he was using a first-aid kit on himself.
The game crashed as I tried to leave, something that seemed to be a common occurrence in this experimental version. Upon my return however, I noticed something that was certainly not common: My dead character was back to life. The sight that appeared to him when I loaded his save was one of the most disturbing I had ever seen: His own corpse laid in front of him, still holding the first-aid kit that almost save his life. He had not been allowed to die.

The game wants me to continue. I will never be allowed to stop.

Creepypasta-ified it for everyone's displeasure  :P

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16198 on: March 04, 2015, 08:50:35 am »

About breaking into bunkers(and gun shops, bank vaults, etc.), you can use an acetlyne torch(not a welder though) while carrying welding goggles(doesn't need to be worn) to cut through the metal door(or barred windows). Just don't do this on the outside door of the bunker, it still spawns turrets.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16199 on: March 04, 2015, 09:06:00 am »

For gunshops an improvised picklock is usually enough. Maybe bring a spare.
Pages: 1 ... 1078 1079 [1080] 1081 1082 ... 1086