Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1076 1077 [1078] 1079 1080 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1866716 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #16155 on: March 03, 2015, 02:46:08 am »

Is there a tailors kit for metal objects? Or is my firemans helmet cursed forever to remain un-kevlarfied and un-leatherfied?

Soldering iron.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16156 on: March 03, 2015, 03:41:30 am »

Is there a tailors kit for metal objects? Or is my firemans helmet cursed forever to remain un-kevlarfied and un-leatherfied?

Soldering iron.
I actually think you can use the tailors modifications on metal objects, just not repair them. Not 100% sure though.

Spoiler: kinda spoilery (click to show/hide)
Durnit guys yer not supposed to make me sad when I'm playing as a coke-d up bionic mutant kung-fu god of war.  Stahp.
Reminds me of that one mission from SWAT 4. A lot of cultists ended up being shot while trying to escape or fell down the stairs.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

blazing glory

« Reply #16157 on: March 03, 2015, 04:41:11 am »

Soldering iron.
I actually think you can use the tailors modifications on metal objects, just not repair them. Not 100% sure though.
You can use it on plastic and Kevlar, but not metal.

Which is pretty odd but eh.

Soldering iron.
That only allows you to reinforce objects, there be a difference.

Tailor kits allow you to take clothing customization to the next level, allowing stuff like reinforcing with kevlar or leather, or extra volume or warmth, and a reinforced piece of clothing lined with kevlar and padded with leather is one tough thing to break.

It's probably a design oversight since tailor kits can be used on other soldering iron applied materials.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16158 on: March 03, 2015, 11:03:09 am »

Tailoring kits are new, eh? So I wouldn't doubt there's a few oversights like that.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16159 on: March 03, 2015, 12:06:16 pm »

I don't know what happened, but I got lucky enough to finally get a character with all of my basic needs met. So I'm off to attempt to destroy the local fungal population. When I was just starting out I was holed up in a house on the outskirts of town, and after a couple of days something called a fungaloid drifted in. I didn't want to mess with it because I only had melee weapons and felt that if it had a message about exuding its spores I probably didn't want to get close to it. I decided to leave it be.

So I just ignored the bugger(s? there's a shitload of them out there now) and went about my business, which I now know was a mistake. About a week later I happened to leave through that door, out into the woods to chop firewood with my new axe, and from the forest edge all the way up to the back porch was covered in "fungal bed" and full of fungaloids. It had completely surrounded the neighbor's house and was starting to encroach from that side too, so I noped the fuck out and never looked back. Now that I'm well equipped, I'd like to try to purge the infestation from the area. Can I burn the fungal beds? If not, will dumping/applying fungicide do the trick? A bit of active reconnaissance shows that nothing there will fight back if attacked except for the few and far between fungal zombies, so I'll probably skip on ammo in favor of more molotovs and gasoline.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16160 on: March 03, 2015, 12:08:17 pm »

Spoiler: kinda spoilery (click to show/hide)
Durnit guys yer not supposed to make me sad when I'm playing as a coke-d up bionic mutant kung-fu god of war.  Stahp.

I found the same thing in an earlier version. The teddy bear was sitting next to the barn with no notes and there was a guy who shot himself inside. I didn't realize the implications until now. :'(

As for cheating, I increased the amount of advantages/disadvantages I can give myself to 25 points and gave myself 2 more starting points. Even with that I'm struggling to survive. I'll try adding the swat armor to my crav maga combo.

Edit: Would adding a custom scenario with mutant abilities count as cheating?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:12:56 pm by FArgHalfnr »
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16161 on: March 03, 2015, 12:14:24 pm »

As for cheating, I increased the amount of advantages/disadvantages I can give myself to 25 points and gave myself 2 more starting points. Even with that I'm struggling to survive. I'll try adding the swat armor to my crav maga combo.

Try the naturalist/survivalist/student professions - naturalist has the resources to live without getting into town, survivalist has a backpack and archery skill, student has a backpack.
Turn any of them into a ranged archer. Win!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #16162 on: March 03, 2015, 12:46:22 pm »

Spoiler: challenge (click to show/hide)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16163 on: March 03, 2015, 12:49:49 pm »

Can I burn the fungal beds?

Yes you can, fungal beds burn very, very, very well.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16164 on: March 03, 2015, 01:10:57 pm »

Spoiler: challenge (click to show/hide)
This would probably be pretty easy if you chose dodge.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16165 on: March 03, 2015, 01:37:51 pm »

Try the naturalist/survivalist/student professions - naturalist has the resources to live without getting into town, survivalist has a backpack and archery skill, student has a backpack.
Turn any of them into a ranged archer. Win!

As it turns out, I think underestimated how good I am at this game. My current character is on day 5, I have set myself in a radio tower and found a nearly unlimited supply of pills in the hospital I raided recently. I have as much water as I want from a keg and a funnel outside my base. I can kill zombie brutes reliably with my unarmed skill, even though I usually need a few days to recover from the fight. Any tips on what to do next? My current plan is to raise my cooking skill so I can begin mass producing mutagen and purifier.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16166 on: March 03, 2015, 01:45:33 pm »

As it turns out, I think underestimated how good I am at this game. My current character is on day 5, I have set myself in a radio tower and found a nearly unlimited supply of pills in the hospital I raided recently. I have as much water as I want from a keg and a funnel outside my base. I can kill zombie brutes reliably with my unarmed skill, even though I usually need a few days to recover from the fight. Any tips on what to do next? My current plan is to raise my cooking skill so I can begin mass producing mutagen and purifier.
Find a lab and raid it for goodies. Always.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16167 on: March 03, 2015, 01:51:39 pm »

Find five or so military ID cards (some piles of people, waste storage places and toxic dumps all have one, as do military outposts) and go hit up a bunker.

You may need up to seven, or less, depending on what spawns.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16168 on: March 03, 2015, 03:38:07 pm »

I seem to find significantly fewer groups of dead people, is that just my luck or was something changed some time ago?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #16169 on: March 03, 2015, 06:02:41 pm »

RE: Fungal Zombies
Melee is a perfectly valid approach (other than the fungal towers themselves) so long as you have enough environmental protection on your mouth.
Used to be a Filter Mask was enough, but I think it's been changed, and you may need a Gas Mask or better now.
As long as you account for the extra encumbrance on the mouth (can't remember exactly what the penalties were, but they were relevant to melee at least) then there's no reason you can't become a mushroom-kicking badass.
Pages: 1 ... 1076 1077 [1078] 1079 1080 ... 1086