Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1061 1062 [1063] 1064 1065 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864594 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #15930 on: February 20, 2015, 10:18:13 pm »

According to the lore; while the initial goo had spread into the groundwater due to the scientists' carelessness, dimensional portals started appearing around the world due to previous time-spacey-teleporter-science antics weakening the fabric of reality. Presumably, this also spread the goo along with all sorts of other dimensional-y stuff.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15931 on: February 20, 2015, 10:42:46 pm »

and said goo opened yet more dimensional gateways.  Soundsl ike sliders

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15932 on: February 20, 2015, 10:59:32 pm »

And I just lost my first moderately successful character. He lived a mere four days before being killed by a giant web spider searching for salt water in a swamp. Such is life. I'm gonna try a more melee focused build next time around, this guy got wrecked as soon as the spider got too close for the shortbow to work effectively.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15933 on: February 21, 2015, 02:08:44 am »

So... there anyone that knows lore stuff here? The game's focused on New England (which is also the worst-affected area on the planet, if I understand correctly?), but I wonder how the oceans are doing? Because, after "What about the astronauts?" my first question in apocalypse settings is "What about the nuclear submarine sailors under the North Pole?"
Request to make zombie whales a thing. Not specifically an actual creature, but mentioned. As well as zombie/skeletal giant sponges. That scare off entire fleets and are immortal.
I could totally see adding in zombie whales as an actual creature, but we would kinda need a worldgen that can support actual ocean overmaps first. :P

As for the nuclear submarines, from what I can tell nuclear submarines carry on average about a 90 day supply worth of food, so they'd have at least that long before they ran into problems.

That said if you have any other lore questions I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my knowledge.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #15934 on: February 21, 2015, 02:25:50 am »

Well, the sub crew could always try their hand at whaling/sealing. There even might be a number of extant facilities within the arctic circle for them to process their kills.

The game, being decades into the future, is long after the ISS is scheduled to be decommissioned, but would there be anyone living in near-earth orbit at the time?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #15935 on: February 21, 2015, 08:57:00 am »

A survival strategy game based around the crew of a nuclear sub could be interesting. Raid the coast for supplies and such

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #15936 on: February 21, 2015, 09:32:06 am »

Well, the sub crew could always try their hand at whaling/sealing. There even might be a number of extant facilities within the arctic circle for them to process their kills.

The game, being decades into the future, is long after the ISS is scheduled to be decommissioned, but would there be anyone living in near-earth orbit at the time?

It is also an alt-history-ish setting in the vein of Fallout (with less Future Fifties, but the attitudes give off that vibe), by the looks of things. So things don't need to follow our world's developments.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #15937 on: February 21, 2015, 12:41:22 pm »

Mankind has had an almost continuous presence in low earth orbit since the Mir station.
I would be rather surprised if this reality didn't have such.

That being said, they're on a similar food timer to that of the subs, but without any way to replenish it, and by the time the first character is generated (8 weeks post cataclysm, right?) they would be in dire straits, preparing to use the return capsules if they hadn't already.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15938 on: February 21, 2015, 12:46:43 pm »

Finally made a boat of my own - turns out you need three sections of boat boards. Sadly, most of the stuff in the packed-in boat mod lacks descriptions of any substance, so it was pretty hard to figure out what any of the stuff did.

Shortly after taking a small maiden voyage, a giant carp attacks. With my war scythe, I managed to knock it out of one section of water, sending it flying over solid ground, where it landed in water five tiles away.

Then I read a chemistry book to get to level 5 cooking. The stuff I can make looks really impressive... if I had any of the stuff to make it.

Next step, I'll probably attach a slingshot cannon to the boat or a motorcycle, so I can launch firebombs at stuff.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #15939 on: February 21, 2015, 01:46:16 pm »

A survival strategy game based around the crew of a nuclear sub could be interesting. Raid the coast for supplies and such
Holy shit, YES!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15940 on: February 21, 2015, 01:48:19 pm »

That would be good, you should suggest that to the guy who made/is making Sub Commander. I think they are planning one in the vein of the Artemis starship simulator thing anyways, so...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15941 on: February 21, 2015, 02:03:36 pm »

Just found a farmer's field out in the middle of nowhere in a "genetic experiment" start, and I'm wondering if farming is a complete feature. I gathered all the plants and put them in a pile in the barn, but can I get any more seeds than what I picked up in my initial sweep? The wiki isn't very detailed on the matter.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15942 on: February 21, 2015, 02:09:53 pm »

Things that are grown give seeds at harvest.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15943 on: February 21, 2015, 02:14:59 pm »

Yeah, farming exists and stuff gives one harvest per season.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #15944 on: February 21, 2015, 03:01:39 pm »

It may or may not have been mentioned, but if you can get 4 harvests of wheat, barely or oats you can last near indefinitely since 2 turns into 10 flour, 2 flour is enough to last you a day once its cooked into a food.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 ... 1061 1062 [1063] 1064 1065 ... 1086