Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1053 1054 [1055] 1056 1057 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864195 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #15810 on: February 14, 2015, 12:32:50 pm »

The unusable non-fletched arrows are in the Experiementals, but from how it reads in the item descriptions, it's supposed to be like that. They intentionally made it so that you can't fire an arrow unless it's fletched.

Not that it requires particularly good ability. Small game arrows only require Survival 2 to fletch, and the other arrows only require Archery 2 and no Survival skill at all. Still, it's not entirely realistic to be unable to fire non-fletched arrows. Honestly, I remember someone doing a study that found that non-fletched arrows had almost the same flight ballistics as fletched ones, and only screw-fletched arrows had any real benefit (screw-fletched meaning that the fletchings were twisted a little so they made the arrow spin in flight).

Of course, I can't cite the study because it's ancient and I forgot where it came from, so I may be completely wrong.
Nothing important here, move along.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15811 on: February 14, 2015, 02:17:40 pm »

The big thing with fletched arrows isn't really to direct the path of the arrow, but rather to ensure that the arrow remains flying point first into the target instead of rotating sideways and tumbling in mid air. (Note, bird feather fletching on arrows actually do impart a natural "spin" to the arrow as it flies, due to the rough and smooth sides of the feathers).

That said IIRC the reason why we stopped letting people shoot non-fletched/non-pointed arrows was because they did virtually no damage and had no real range, and we kept getting "arrows are underpowered" complaints by people who didn't realize you needed to fletch your arrows and put points on them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15812 on: February 14, 2015, 05:30:03 pm »

They just used the shafts?

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15813 on: February 14, 2015, 05:51:52 pm »

Just got a "YOU SHOULD QUIT THE GAME IMMEDIATELY" message-why would I have this?
I'm a Failed Bionic, but I don't think any of my problemic implants would cause this.
EDIT: Was playing a random character, didn't see that it was Schizophrenic. That explains a lot.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 05:55:06 pm by Lukewarm »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15814 on: February 14, 2015, 06:14:09 pm »

There is also an illness you sometimes get from a !!FUN!! beasty that can do that.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15815 on: February 14, 2015, 06:27:27 pm »

.... for what it's worth: Don't google fletching. Go directly to wikipedia and look for the article there. Otherwise you might read something you don't want to read
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #15816 on: February 14, 2015, 06:33:21 pm »

.... for what it's worth: Don't google fletching. Go directly to wikipedia and look for the article there. Otherwise you might read something you don't want to read
... the Runescape wiki?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #15817 on: February 14, 2015, 06:47:46 pm »

*Immediately Googles it*

... the Runescape wiki?

Urbandictionary. 'nough said.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15818 on: February 14, 2015, 06:52:30 pm »

Yeah, it's not in my top results either. Do you happen to peruse urban dictionary a lot in your spare time? Not a single thing involving that definition of the word even shows up in my top 10 pages on google results. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #15819 on: February 14, 2015, 07:00:09 pm »

I hadn't thought so...

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15820 on: February 14, 2015, 07:03:42 pm »

I definitely didn't want to read it. Oh, damn curiosity.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15821 on: February 14, 2015, 07:12:26 pm »

Let me guess: stupid people don't know the difference between fletching and felching?

Anyway, I guess the whole 'can't fire arrows unless they're fletched' thing makes sense... but then why the extra step? Just make the entire crafting process into one big step and get rid of the 'unfletched' variants.
Nothing important here, move along.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #15822 on: February 14, 2015, 07:19:45 pm »

... the Runescape wiki?
Fun fact: the name similarity led to them putting it on the chat filter.

Cue people being incapable of talking about one of the games' skills until Jagex caught on.

So far I've tried small game, field point, fire hardened, regular arrow shafts, and heavy arrow shafts. They're all "components" and don't count as ammo.
If memory serves, small game, field point, and fire-hardened all work right. The descriptions for the shafts also mention that they can be fired from bows but suck at it.
Unless you're intolerant to junk food.
You can empty out cardboard boxes. Which is actually advantageous to do anyway--the cardboard boxes take up more space than the cookies/poptarts/cereal they contain, likely a reference to real-life manufacturers making massively oversized boxes for their contents in order to make it look like you're buying more.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #15823 on: February 14, 2015, 07:26:15 pm »

Let me guess: stupid people don't know the difference between fletching and felching?
how the hell do you confuse those
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15824 on: February 14, 2015, 08:19:09 pm »

Has anyone else found a survivor town? this is pretty cool.
Pages: 1 ... 1053 1054 [1055] 1056 1057 ... 1086