Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1035 1036 [1037] 1038 1039 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863604 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #15540 on: January 04, 2015, 05:26:51 pm »

That helps a lot.
A suggestion would be to add this description to the combat help menu, I assume that would be a fast edit.
Now I just wonder how the game decides what gun is accurate enough for skill gain.
Most common handgun & submachine gun ammo seem to have a rather high dispersion so even if i get rid of the dispersion on the gun it still leave me with a high base dispersion.
Does aiming with 'p' help training?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #15541 on: January 04, 2015, 05:45:09 pm »

Aim dispersion is how accurately you can point the barrel using your hands.
Gun/Ammo dispersion is how straight the actual bullet is going to fly.
What's the point of a Dex and skill checks, if they're lumped together into this Aim Dispersion?
Skill and ability to aim are the same thing, and paired with your actual handling (Dex) represent the human side of the equation. Breaking it down into sub-checks is being excessively specific, and would be better directed at a different aspect of combat, like having no, basic, or thorough familiarity with the weapon model.

Warning: Wall of text below
Spoiler: As for numbers, (click to show/hide)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15542 on: January 04, 2015, 05:50:25 pm »

What's the point of a Dex and skill checks, if they're lumped together into this Aim Dispersion?
Skill and ability to aim are the same thing, and paired with your actual handling (Dex) represent the human side of the equation. Breaking it down into sub-checks is being excessively specific, and would be better directed at a different aspect of combat, like having no, basic, or thorough familiarity with the weapon model.
I would assume that Dex was the natural affinity while skill level is experience.

In other news, I lucked out and found two labs with nuke stashes just next to each other(maybe less lucky considering how many labs before that i checked) which gave me 80 mini nukes which equals another 60k bio-power. Yay.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 05:55:40 pm by Ivefan »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #15543 on: January 04, 2015, 05:57:42 pm »

I would assume that Dex was the natural affinity while skill level is experience.
That's basically exactly what I just said, and doesn't actually address any of my points about having yet another accuracy check.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15544 on: January 04, 2015, 11:06:15 pm »

I may not have made it clear, but Dex only impacts your total accuracy once.  Dex below a threshold (14 I think, don't recall offhand) gives one of the sources of gun dispersion, reflecting your ability to hold the gun steady.  The assumption is that if you have 15+ dex, you're holding the gun steady to within 1MoA as long as your aim has steadied, so it is not contributing to dispersion at all.  We might revisit this if we ever add gun stances, because there's a huge difference between holding a gun steady to 1 MoA while standing and doing so while prone.

Dex also contributes to aim *speed*, which is how long it takes you to get to your best aim level.  It does not influence the aim dispersion value, which is solely determined by the best sight on the gun.  We should move perception over to contributing to sight dispersion *instead* of gun dispersion, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Familiarity with a specific weapon type keeps coming up, but we haven't settled on what the effects should be and how it should be implemented.

I can go even further into this particular aspect, but I'm trying (and failing I'm sure) to keep it within the scope of the discussion.
Nope, that's pretty much exactly what I was asking, thanks :)
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #15545 on: January 05, 2015, 07:53:03 am »

So... z-levels yet? I've last played over a year ago, I have no idea.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15546 on: January 05, 2015, 08:00:34 am »

Not really it seems. Theres a z-level mod around i think.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15547 on: January 05, 2015, 10:25:47 am »

Z-levels are still experimental. There is a built in mod for it.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15548 on: January 05, 2015, 12:28:48 pm »

i can't empy a bottle in the ground or spill on the ground the gasoline....

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #15549 on: January 05, 2015, 12:40:29 pm »

Try 'U'nloading it.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15550 on: January 05, 2015, 12:42:50 pm »

Just to be clear, are you going into your inventory with (i), selecting the item with it's keybinding, then pressing (U) to unload it, and then pressing either an arrow or numpad direction to empty it on the ground?

What's the problem preventing you from doing so, a programming error or a user error? :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15551 on: January 05, 2015, 12:45:21 pm »

i have press the Arrow but don't see any action....now i reload the game....

and now the game start with all the type of zombie in the first day???

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15552 on: January 05, 2015, 02:36:03 pm »

- Press i
- Press the letter of the bottle you want empty
- Press U
- Press a direction key

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15553 on: January 05, 2015, 02:42:58 pm »

and now the game start with all the type of zombie in the first day???
Yeah, it's part of a move to remove the totally unrealistic dynamic spawning completely over time and replace it with the static spawn system that actually sensibly tracks zombies. It means you have to play the game a bit more carefully at the beginning, take it slow, but you don't need to worry about things like zombies spawning in the middle of your house anymore.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15554 on: January 06, 2015, 05:44:08 am »

so, if i start with dynamic spawn i don't have anymore a dynamic spawn...
Pages: 1 ... 1035 1036 [1037] 1038 1039 ... 1086